Notices

Kusadasi-Ephesus

Old Jun 9th, 1999, 07:34 PM
Sharon

Kusadasi-Ephesus

Have 1 day only in Kusadasi, traveling w/8 family members..The cruise tour available to Ephesus is only 3 hrs. How much time is needed to see Ephesus? Has anyone been to Pamukkale? Could I get in both sites in 1 day w/other transportation? Taxi or bus, any ideas? Thanks

Old Jun 9th, 1999, 09:56 PM
Nikolai Serov

Pamukkale, of course, worth a visit. It is necessary minimum 3 hours to see all interesting in this place (white hills, covered by salt, Cleopatra pool, necropolis).
I hope, it will help you to plan your trip.
Nikolai

Old Jun 9th, 1999, 11:29 PM
George Holt

Ephesus is one of those open ended visits, depending on your interests you could walk through in half hour or wander for days. Its a large site, always changing, but most of the main attractions are down the central streets. Three hours should be enough to have a look at the temples, the library, the little romans room , and the theatre. If you love stones and can interpret the less obvious signs of building then you could spend days wandering. When I last went there (a few years back) they were in the process of restoring a terrace of buildings, I don't know how far they've got with that. This constant restoration is a recurring theme at Ephesus and it means that every time you revisit it the site is in some way fresh.

Ephesus is only a short drive (by cab) from Kusadasi so if your boat docks the night before you may be able to get a head start independantly. Of course you'll lack a guide. Tours also generally take in other sites in the area, whats left of the Temple of Diana, Mary's house, the museun and a couple of other buildings in the Seljuk area.

As well as the hot springs and pools and the cascades of minerals Pamukkale also has an extensive ruined necropolis on the edge of town and a theatre. I've heard several rumours that you aren't allowed to paddle in the pools any more.

I don't think you'll be able to visit both sites in one day, unless you hail from the planet Krypton of course. I would think Pamukkale from Kusadasi would be a pretty long days journey in its own right. Have a look at a map but bear in mind that in Turkey, especially with Pamukkale being at the top of a small mountain, two places a couple of miles apart as the crow flies can be separated by twenty miles of switchback. I think you'll have to choose between the two. For what my opinion is worth I'd opt for Ephesus as the best day out for your time and money, since you've not seen either, but I've already been to both places many times.

Old Jun 9th, 1999, 11:44 PM
Denise

Hi Sharon,
Ephesus (Efus) is the spot to go. We spent a morning there last year and could have spent longer, but the crowds got too much. Pamukkale is not what it used to be. The accomodation up there has apparently done something with run off to the pools and you cannot sit in them anymore, in fact my daughter went and was extremely disappointed with it, after all the hype. Go to Efus early in the morning, first thing, a, because it gets crowded with bus loads of tourists, and b, because it can get very hot there, everything is white stone. Take a hat and creme and plenty to drink. You can purchase at the entrance all the things necessary, but it is an expensive tourist trap. Efes
is a fantastic site, try and imagine the sea being there once. Denise

Old Jun 10th, 1999, 02:53 AM
s.fowler

3 hours is enough for Ephesus. It *is* a magnificent site. But the goodies" are fairly centralized. Unless you are an experienced traveler it will be hard to hire reliable transport on your own. The risk of missing the ship is too high. Be sure to bring a light colored umbrella as a sunshade. The Aegean sun is BRUTAL.

Old Jun 11th, 1999, 07:35 AM
Paulo

We visited both sites last summer, in July (we got to Pamukkale from Marmaris, spent the night, after visit drove to Kusadasi where we spent 2 nights; we visited Ephesus/SelÁuk on route to Bergama):

Kusadasi - Pamukkale (one way) 2:40hs hard driving (a bus would take close to 4 hs)
Travertine visit: 1 hour (down and up on a slow stroll - no pool paddling alowed)
Pamukkale Motel pool dive + snacks and drinks (1:30 hs)
Hierapolis ruins visit: 1 hour

Ephesus visit: 3 hours
Mary house visit: 45 min
Ephesus Museum visit: 1 hour
Saint John's Basilica + Isa Bey Mosque: 1 hour
total driving time from Kusadasi to all above sites and back (estimated): 1:20 hour
(we didn't go to the 7-sleepers' cave)

Paulo

Old Jun 11th, 1999, 11:39 AM
Up

^^

Old Jun 15th, 1999, 09:39 AM
KellyE

I just returned from Turkey and want to say Paulo is right on with his time estimates. I can't imagine how you would see both of these in one day. If you have to pick one, choose Efes, but I also want to say we very much enjoyed Pammukale. The cliffs are starting to turn white again, and you are allowed to wade into a couple of the pools. Also the thermal pool at the top is not to be missed, very relaxing!

Old Jun 15th, 1999, 01:56 PM
Rod Hoots

Agree with choosing Ephesus. Before you go, read St. Paul's letters to the Ephesians. Also agree with the recommendation to carry an umbrella - it really helps.

Old Jun 16th, 1999, 12:33 AM
Jo

Must say that Pummakale was one of my highlights to Turkey. We took a guided tour through with a geologist which was great to help us understand how the calcium (not salt!) terraces were built. It might not be what it use to be, but its still an amazing sight. And can you imagine the feeling of sitting in a hot spring in what was an ancient Roman Bath (complete with fallen down pillars etc). Also the accommodation in Pumakale is excellent value, and I had the best Turkish meal of my trip there.
Don't miss it!
Jo

Old Jun 19th, 1999, 02:32 PM
SELMA

PAULO SEEMS LIKE THE EXPERIENCED TRAVELER. WE HAVE BEEN TO KUSADASI BEFORE, AND WITH TH EXTREME SUMMER HEAT YOU WILL ONLY FEEL LIKE VISITING EPHESUS/BASILICA/VIRGIN MARY SHRINE. PAMUKALEE WILL BE TO FAR, AND YOU MY RISK NOT BEING BACK FOR THE CRUISE ON TIME. I AM NOT GOING TO GAMBBLE WHEN WE WILL BE THER IN AUGUST. MAYBE YOU WILL BE IN THE SAME SHIP AS WE ARE TAKING (THE GRAND PRINCESS VOYAFE A927.