Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Naples-Palermo ferry cabins. Which Operator has most comfortable beds?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2004, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning to go from Napoli to Palermo by overnight ferry on April 13th. According to my research both SNAV and Tirennia are options. Which one has more comfortable beds in the cabins?
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 07:29 AM
GAC

I'm going to guess Tirrenia gets the nod because its two twin ships (Florio and Rubattino) are newer than those of SNAV. They are also larger and faster. You can see color photos and diagrams of these two ships at the following privately funded website of Tirrenia ship enthusiasts:

www.navitirrenia.org

I've never seen any comments whatsoever on the two SNAV ships on this route.
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. I suspected that might be the case. Shall I wait until I get to Napoli to make the reservation or is there a way you would suggest I do it on-line?
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 07:09 AM
GAC

April 13 is a Tuesday and the day after Easter Monday (a holiday in Italy), so I would not expect the ship to be full. Nevertheless, you should know that there is a limited number of twin cabins available on these ships (the majority of cabins are quadruples, and you would need to pay a 50% supplement for any unoccupied berths in a quad cabin). So it is probably a good idea to book the cabin in advance, particularly if you want a twin cabin. Outside cabins (with a window to the sea) are a little more expensive than inside cabins, but are otherwise identical, and all cabins have a private w/c, sink and mini-shower. I understand that there are slightly fewer than 300 cabins in total.

On Tirrenia there are also available 195 first class reclining seats (like business class on transatlantic flights) which are less expensive than a cabin, and not a bad option in view of the relatively short crossing (about 9 hours). These seats usually get snached by solo travelers. I don't know whether SNAV has similar first class reclining seats.

I compared prices between Tirrenia and SNAV for April 13 and found that SNAV's fares are lower. You can check for yourself and also book accommodations at the following commercial website (I myself have never actually booked on line):

www.traghettionline.net

You can also try to book online using Tirrenia's own website:

www.tirrenia.it

The crossing with SNAV ships takes 75 minutes longer than that by Tirrenia, which uses faster, larger and more modern ferry boats.

The two Tirrenia ships have both a formal restaurant, a less expensive cafeteria, one or two cafe-bars serving snacks, coffee, beverages and liquor, a movie theatre, game room, and a large public salon. The restaurant is usually less crowded than the cafeteria.

It would be much appreciated if you would post your comments about this ship upon your return. There are quite a few Fodorites who would be most interested in reading observations on this significant maritime crossing between Naples and Palermo.
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 01:21 PM
GAC

According to an individual who claims to have counted the number of cabins on the Vincenzo Florio, there are a total of 287 cabins, as follows:

2 cabins for handicapped, both external

77 twin cabins, of which 44 external

208 quad cabins, of which 71 external

Cabins are on two decks of the ship, decks 7 and 9 (most are on deck 7)

There are also 195 first class reclining seats on deck 9

The 287 cabins can accommodate a total of 990 passengers.
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 02:50 PM
GAC

Twin cabins appear to be sold out on Tirrenia Line from Naples to Palermo on April 13, 2004. Quads are available, as are first class reclining seats.
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much, GAC. I couldn't see how to book directly on either website but have just sent a request to Tirrenia's North American agent, Solbec Tours in Montreal. We'll see what happens. Regardless I will post my impressions when I return.
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 04:21 PM

I just took the ferry from Naples to Palermo last Thursday the 26. I was advised here to book the trip from a local travel agent when I got to Italy. We found ABC travel in Sorrento on Wednesday and for 115e thought, we book an outside first class cabin for two. Back to the train to Naples and a wild cab ride to the port, we boarded Tirrenia?s ship to Sicily. They let us board about 1 1/2 hours before departure. We were told to check with the purser to get our key, a very easy check-in procedure. After a difficult time in finding our cabin, I was looking for a cabin on the outside; we found a four bed inside cabin instead. The travel agent must have not of clearly understood us. Well off to the bar for a drink and a quick trip around the ship. The cafeteria opened about 7pm and we grabbed a bite to eat. This was the worst meal I had in a long time anywhere, do not eat here and wait until the restaurant opens at 8pm. Back to the bar and then off to bed. The cabin was nice as was the ship but you really do not have time to do anything, as it completes the trip at 6:30 the next day. They do have a place to store your luggage at the marina at Palermo if needed.
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 11:42 AM
GAC

See my other posting of 8/26/2004:
Naples to Palermo Tirrenia Lines Overnight Ferry Statistics.

The SNAV twin ships "Campania" and Sicilia" were built in 1974 and have been since lengthened and modernized. They operated with
P & O North Sea Ferries until 2002.

The Tirrenia ships were built in 1999 and are slightly larger and faster (by 45 minutes).

SNAV's fares for cabins and reclining seats are lower across the board compared to those of Tirrenia, by about 20% or more. It remains a matter of personal judgment whether Tirrenia's more modern and slightly faster ships are worth the extra 20% in fare.
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 11:54 AM
GAC

Ship enthusiasts may be interested to know that the SNAV ship "Sicilia" was formerly the "Norland" of P & O North Sea Ferries, which was requisitioned by the U.K. Ministry of Defence in 1982 for service in the Falklands Campaign as a troop trasport. So this ship has a distinguished history!

Her sister ship "Norstar" become the SNAV "Campania" in August 2002, at the same time that "Norland" became the SNAV "Sicilia".

Both ships now journey between Naples and Palermo, every night of the year.