Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Naples Bus/Metro/Tram/Funicular New Fares

Jan 9th, 2015, 10:14 AM
GAC
Original Poster

Effective January 1, 2015, there is a new fare structure for public transportation within the City of Naples. Although there are numerous types of tickets (including weekly, monthly, and yearly), I will summarize here only the most popular ticket types of interest to tourists:

1. SINGLE RIDE TICKET ("Urbano Napoli Biglietto Corsa Semplice Aziendale"): 1.00 Euro

Valid for ONE ride on ONE vehicle (bus, electric bus, streetcar/tram, metro train/subway or funicular) in ONE direction, exclusively for trips within the Naples City Limits. The ticket must be validated (inserted into the turnstyle) prior to boarding the metro train or funicular, or punched in the validation machine immediately upon boarding the bus or streetcar/tram.

2. HOURLY TICKET ("Urbano Napoli Biglietto Orario Integrato"): 1.50 Euros

Valid for up to 90 minutes for MULTIPLE rides on MULTIPLE buses, electric buses or streetcars/trams, in ANY direction, exclusively for trips within the Naples City Limits. Also valid for ONE trip on EACH of the following: Metro Line 1, Metro Line 6, each of the four funicular lines, Cumana rail line, Circumflegrea rail line, exclusively for trips within the Naples City Limits. The ticket must be validated prior to boarding the metro train or funicular, or immediately upon boarding the bus or streetcar.

3. DAILY TICKET ("Urbano Napoli Biglietto Giornaliero Aziendale"): 3.50 Euros

Valid up to 23:59 of the day of initial validation for MULTIPLE rides on MULTIPLE buses, electric buses, streetcars/trams, metro trains/subway or funicular in ANY direction, exclusively for trips within the Naples City Limits. All rides must be with the ANM Naples City Trasport Authority. If intending to use the ANM Naples City Trasport Authority PLUS a different company/carrier, such as EAV (unlikely for a tourist), there is the "Urban Napoli Biglietto Giornaliero INTEGRATO" for 4.50 Euros which should be purchased.

REQUIREMENT: on the DAILY ticket, you must write your name, date of birth and date of use in the spaces provided. The ticket must be validated prior to boarding EACH metro train or funicular, and immediately upon boarding EACH bus or streetcar.

Further information:

www.unicocampania.it

http://www.unicocampania.it/index.ph...ietti&action=4

NOTE: Tickets issued prior to January 1, 2015 may continue to be used until January 31, 2015, and may thereafter be exchanged for new tickets through March 31, 2015.

NOTE: Tickets are "validated" when inserted into the turnstyle to access the metro or funicular, or in the stamping machine slot on board the bus or streetcar/tram.

COMMENT: These fares are quite reasonable, especially the DAILY ticket which allows unlimited transportation within the City of Naples.
Jan 9th, 2015, 12:08 PM

This post reminds me of a hilarious story, which can only happen in Naples. A few years ago, on one of my frequent Naples trips, I walked from Piazza Garibaldi to Gambrinus to have an espresso (just for the heck of it). I love just walking around in Naples. While walking on the cobble streets of Naples, I slightly twisted my ankle, so I decided to take the bus back to Piazza Garibaldi from Piazza Trieste e Trento, where Gambrinus is located. The bus was full of teenagers going home from school. It also had some old fogies like me on it. One real old guy wanted a seat on the bus, which was occupied by a young girl. These seats are reserved for seniors and handicapped, and the young lady would not give up her seat to the old guy. They started an argument which soon got real ugly. The bus driver tried to shout them down, but to no effect. He then wisely pulled the bus close to a policeman and told the cop the story. The cop then boarded the bus and demanded everyone to produce their ticket. That's when the fun started! Like lightning, everyone scrambled off the bus. I was the ONLY one left on the bus with a valid ticket. The cop, the driver and I had a huge laugh. Apparently, not many people bothered to buy a ticket and validate it on the bus. Only in Napoli!
Jan 9th, 2015, 01:37 PM
GAC
Original Poster

I don't blame you for using the bus on this rather long walking route!

As for the regrettable behavior of the passengers not having tickets, let's just say that these locals are not too keen on "following the rules".

Not surprised .....
Jan 9th, 2015, 03:36 PM

Since you both know Naples well maybe you can give me some advice. In March I need to get from Sorrento to Procida. As far as I can tell there is no ferry from Sorrento to Procida at that time of year so I guess my plan is to take the train to Naples and the ferry or hydrofoil from there. So I'll need to get from the train station to the boat terminal.

So how do I get from the train station to the port? I prefer public transportation to a taxi if possible?

The only boats I see on line is Caremar which looks like it has a ferry from Calata Porta di Massa at 10:45 or a hydrofoil from Molo Beverello at 13:10.

What do you suggest?
Jan 12th, 2015, 05:47 AM

>>>So how do I get from the train station to the port? I prefer public transportation to a taxi if possible? <<<

To get to Molo Beverello from Napoli Centrale you can take the Alibus. It runs from the airport to Centrale to the port. It might be possible to take it to either port, but I've seen the Alibus stops vary so you would need to double check about Pt di Massa having a stop.

>>>Calata Porta di Massa<<<

That is a bit closer to Centrale. For both ports, you could take tram 1. Also bus 151. For Pt di Massa, you could also take the metro from Centrale to Universita (1st stop) and walk the rest of the way.

You could take the Circumvesuviana past Centrale to Pt Nolana (closer to the Pt di Massa and Pt Nolana is the actual end of the line for Circumvesuviana) and then catch the tram or 151.

Here's the transport map for Naples. You will have to zoom in a bit to locate the stops/stations I mentioned. Alibus stops designated with the A, but you can't always count on transport maps being current.

http://www.unicocampania.it/files/ma...centro2014.pdf