Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Apart from the Archelogical Museum what else should one do when in Naples

Old Dec 30th, 2005, 09:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in Naples for one day only. We will be coming from Ischia early in the morning and will need to be at the airport for a 5.20pm flight to Venice.

We plan to visit the Archeological Museum and are wondering what else we should see/do?

Also looking for advise on the best way from Naples to the airport - is there a bus or train?

Thanks ((&amp)
Old Dec 31st, 2005, 05:52 AM

Naples is a city which you will remember for the rest of your life. It is unlike anyplace else because just being there creates a fantastic experience. Most of the activities in Naples are spur of the moment, because one sees a subject and immediately there is something that is exciting about it, be it food, sights or just walking around. However if you have only a very short time there, I would suggest getting on a bus that goes to VIA PETRARC, and getting off the bus after a few stops. You can just stand or sit by the railing and take in the AMAZING view of the Bay of Naples, with Vesuvius in the background. I go there often, and every time I go there, it's like the first time. The view leaves you breathless. John Keats said that it was the most unforgettable sight he had ever seen.
Old Dec 31st, 2005, 06:14 AM
ira

Hi MJ,

Good advice from Waldo.

You will arrive at the Molo Beverello.

Walk up to the Pzza Municipio and take the no. 1 bus to the train station.

From there, go downstairs to the Metro. (Be sure to buy your tickets at the tabac shop.) and take it to Pzza Cavour. There are signs to the Museum.

See the Museum.

Depending on the time:

you can walk down Via E Pessina (becomes Via Toledo) to the waterfront and back to the Pzza Municipio. Take the bus back to the train station and get the airport bus to NPA.

you can walk down to Via E Pessina to Pzza Dante, Go left through Porta Alba to Via Tribunali to Pzza Nicola and Pzza Garibaldi. This will take you through Spaccanapoli.

Take the bus to the airport.

An ANM bus runs to Piazza Garibaldi (Italian Railways Main Station) 3S line, about every 10 minutes or so.

Alibus Shuttle Bus runs to the city every 30 mins 0630-2330. €3.

A taxi to the airport will be about 20E.

You will want to be at the airport about 3:20.

Old Dec 31st, 2005, 06:29 AM

Molly,

Don't know which day you're planning on visiting the museum, but as an FYI, it's closed on Tuesdays.

Waldo, thanks for the info about the view! I'll be sure to include that when I head that way in March.

Happy travels y'all!
Old Dec 31st, 2005, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Kopp, I am heading there on a Monday, my father -in-law made the horrible mistake of going there on a Tuesday so I have been well warned on many occasions.

ira, thank you for the detailed advise, I am sure it will come in very handy. With regards to getting to the airport 2hrs beforehand, I will be flying to Venice, is it still necessary to get there so soon?

Waldo, VIA PETRARC sounds very nice, it's now on the agenda thank you.

How long does the bus take to get from the Station to the airport? I will be travelling from Rome to Naples then onto Sorrento, does the Airport bus leave from the same station I will arrive at when coming from Rome?
Thanks
Old Dec 31st, 2005, 02:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't know the time of your "early" arrival from Ischia, but I'd check the opening time of the archeological museum before you head there first. If the museum's opening time works well with your early arrival, I'd take a taxi from the ferry dock and not worry about saving a little money on time-consuming bus connections.

Then follow Ira's walking suggestion and airport shuttle bus info. Or do the walking thing first, see the museum and then taxi to the train station for the shuttle bus or directly to the airport.
Old Dec 31st, 2005, 04:10 PM

You are 15 min. from Pompeii which you could do a quick tour in 2-4 hours. We left Rome early in the morning with Vatican Tours and Beyond, met our guide at Pompeii, then met our guide at the Naples museum and left there by 5 in the evening. A long day, but don't miss Pompeii.
Old Dec 31st, 2005, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

mmm something I hadn't given much thought to until now were our bags, we will be travelling with back packs is there anywhere safe to leave them?

Depending on what there is to do/see will depend how early we leave Ischia. We could take the first ferry which leaves Ischia 6?am or the 8:50am ferry if there is not so much to see.

We will be doing Pompeii on our way to Amalfi, Naples is on our return journey.

Cheers
Old Jan 1st, 2006, 12:08 PM

Find out if the museum has a bag check.
Old Jan 1st, 2006, 01:58 PM

There is a checked luggage service at Napoli Centrale. Just don't let anyone - even if he seems to be wearing a "uniform" - help you with your bags or offer to take you where you want to go.

The checked luggage service should be clearly marked - it's normally a pictogram with pieces of luggage on it. Take the time to find it yourself and, I repeat, refuse all offers of "help."

I never felt a moment of unease in Naples - except in the station at Napoli Centrale.
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 12:29 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 03:27 AM

No, you don't need to be there 2 hours early for an internal flight - 1 hour will do.