Naples,Amalfi,Sicily trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2008, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Four of us are planning a trip to S. Italy in Sept, spending several days each in Naples and Amalfi coast(Ravello), and a week in Sicily. Some questions: (1) To go from Naples to Ravello, we plan to hire a car w/ driver, making some stops on the way. Any recommendations on a good driver? Once in Ravello, can we take a bus to tour the surrounding area? (2) Should we join a tour to do Pompeii from Naples, take a train on our own, or hire a car with driver? Should we have a guide? (3) In Sicily, we plan to visit Palermo and Siracusa. Since we don't want to drive, is it possible to hire a car w/ driver from Palermo to Siracusa? Or is it easy to take a bus? Is it easy to get to Cefalu(recommended by a friend) from Palermo on a day trip?
Old Aug 19th, 2008, 07:09 AM

Watch your personal items in Naples! Many theives who are quite brazen. A driver is a nice way to go if that is in your budget...driving along the Amalfi Coast is not for the faint of heart! Ravello is breathtaking! Trains are easy to use, but again, be aware of theives. Positano, Sorrento, and any of the towns including Amalfi are fabulous. I would go there before spending much time in Naples. I was there in September and it is a fabulous time of year to visit. You can easily take a train to Pompei. Guide or alone depends on your style. You might learn more with a guide, but going alone always allows you to go at your own pace. I've never traveled to Sicily, sorry I can't offer any opinions on this.
Old Aug 19th, 2008, 02:27 PM

Since you want to do daytrips, you might want to consider staying in Positano or Amalfi instead of Ravello. Ravello is gorgeous, but more out of the way, so it takes longer to get to and from there. It would make sense to go to Pompeii from Naples.

Both the driver and tour are fine if they are in your budget.
Old Aug 19th, 2008, 02:39 PM

Ditto the above advice regarding Ravello.

For a driver in Naples and the Amalfi coast:

http://www.benvenutolimos.com/

It is a long way from Palermo to Siracusa. I would expect a driver to be expensive, but there are many people who offer driving and touring services in Sicily, so you might look around for recommendations. You might cut some of your costs if you enter Sicily in Catania, rather than Palermo, and then visit Siracusa and depart from Palermo.
Old Aug 19th, 2008, 03:05 PM
kja

Hi, myasha -

> Once in Ravello, can we take a bus to tour the surrounding area?

Yes, but it might not be as convenient as you would prefer. I believe you would travel to and from Ravello by bus from Amalfi; that bus takes about 1/2 hour each way. From Amalfi, you could take a bus or ferry to reach other spots.

> Should we join a tour to do Pompeii from Naples, take a train on our own, or hire a car with driver? Should we have a guide?

It is easy to get to Pompeii from Naples by train on your own, although some people prefer to hire a car with driver. Once at Pompeii, the audio guide that is available for rent at the entrance suited my needs quite well. Other people prefer to hire a guide.

> Is it easy to get to Cefalu(recommended by a friend) from Palermo on a day trip?

Yes.

Hope that helps!
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 05:25 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for useful suggestions.