Mykonos Isalnd

Mar 1st, 2006, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

Mykonos Isalnd

My daughter is studying in London and wants to go to Mykonos Island for a long weekend. I know absolutely nothing about the island. What is it like? How would she get form Athens ariport to the island? She is thinking the end of March. Safe island for 2 American college girls? Thank you
Mar 1st, 2006, 07:24 AM
wug

Mykonos is very chic. It is known as a very cosmopolitan island with very nice clubs that go all night. Mykonos is the upscale party but still fun for families. The end of March, however, there probably won't be much of a party going on compared to the summer as it's the low season. In fact, she would definitely need to check and make sure things are open the end of March, the season hasn't started yet and some of the hotels may be closed.

It's definitely not a problem as far as safety. It's beautiful and has wonderful beaches. It definitely can be more expensive than other islands but it's a top destination in Greece. One definite plus is the close proximity to Delos. The island of Delos is said to be the birthplace of Apollo and his twin sister. The entire island is an archeological site and is an amazing easy trip from Mykonos. I have been three times already and am stopping on Mykonos on my way to other island just so that my husband and I can take our teenage daughter and her friend to Delos.
Mykonos town is very interesting with its winding streets. The streets were built this way to confuse pirates long ago. The shopping is great on Mykonos, most of it being upscale with incredible linens. It is very easy to get around the island as the bus service is efficient and economical.

As far as getting from Athens to the island, it's easy to get to the the port of Piraeus or Rafina from the airport, however, if it's only a long weekend I would suggest she fly and save the time. Aegean and Olympic both fly from Athens to Mykonos.
Flying may be the only way she can get there anyway because the ferries don't run very often during this time of year.
Mar 2nd, 2006, 07:57 AM

Can you recommend a wonderful beach front resort. I tried the Mykonos Grand but they want a 4 night minimum in August?
Mar 2nd, 2006, 08:19 AM

Mykonos Tourist Information, Greece: Useful numbers on the island ...The Tourist Information in Mykonos, Greece. The useful numbers of Mykonos - Cyclades ... Municipal Office of the Press and Information, +30 22890 23990 ...
www.greeka.com/cyclades/mykonos/

mykonos-tourist-information.htm - 42k - Cached - Similar pages

Mykonos Tourism, Greece: Information the National Tourism ...The island of Mykonos Greece in the Cyclades does not have any National tourism organisation office or any Tourist police. All the tourism information one ...
http://www.greeka.com/cyclades/mykon...os-tourism.htm - 27k - Cached - Similar pages
[ More results from www.greeka.com ]

Mykonos Greece |tourist travel guide to the Greek island Mykoncos Learn Greek, Port: 23922 Tourist office: 23990 Tourist police: 22482 Airport: 22328 Buses: 23360, Mykonos Town 9 Mykonos port 3 Airport 2 ...
www.greekisland.co.uk/mykonos/mykonos.htm
Mar 3rd, 2006, 11:20 AM

many beachfront resorts - Petassos Beach, Royal Myconian. Santa Maria (or Marina? I'm not sure, sorry) go to www.tripadvisor.com
Mar 3rd, 2006, 10:09 PM

I enjoyed the Petasos Beach Hotel in Platys Gialos. Here is the website: www.petasos.gr/petasos_beach/home.htm
Mar 3rd, 2006, 11:11 PM

I too liked the Petassos Beach Resort. March will not be beach weather though! Check in fact to see what is open. If she plans a beach holiday do NOT consider Myconos at this time of year.