Mykonos - How long and where to stay

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2010, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trying to determine where to stay while in Mykonos. We will be on Mykonos for 3 or 4 nights with adult children (early 20's). Right now we are thinking about staying at the Mykonos Grand. We plan on doing things other than laying by the pool like tours, shopping during the days and they will want to go to the nightclubs at night.

My questions are:

1) Is the Mykonos Grand a good central location?
2) Are there other upscale hotels more centrally located you would recommend?
3) Should we plan for 3 or 4 nights in Mykonos because there is more to do than in Santorini? We could reduce our nights in Santorini from 3 to 2 nights.
Old Jan 17th, 2010, 02:33 PM

hi basch0902

The Grand is located at Agios Ioannis which is a very pretty part of the island, about 10 minutes by local bus to Mykonos town. That bus service runs hourly (half-hourly in high season) and stops at Ornos beach to and from the town. The last service is about 1 a.m.

The are certainly some upscale hotels in and around Mykonos town and I am happy to give you some names. It would help though if you could tell me when you will be there and your lodging budget per night.

I think three nights on Mykonos is about right.

Bill
Old Jan 17th, 2010, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

We will be there the second in early July. Our budget is around 300-350 euros per night, per room (have to get two rooms).

Thanks for your help Bill!
Old Jan 17th, 2010, 05:12 PM

OK, this has been a wee bit difficult as you will be on the island at peak season prices time and town hotels are more expensive (but always my preferred location and the small buses to the beaches etc are close to those I'll be mentioning).

Some of their booking engines aren’t working but there is a separate site I’ve been checking their 2010 rates and have noted them against each. These are the hotels’ published rates so should be accurate and up to date for 2010. I’ve quoted per double/twin room. When you make a reservation always request a sea view room:

Hotel Leto

http://www.letohotel.com/

One of the oldest hotels on the island with many return guests. Superb location, a two minute stroll to the harbour front. 354 € (includes breakfast and taxes).

Hotel Semeli

http://www.semelihotel.gr/

Not all rooms have a sea view but its public areas do. In a superb location in the Rochari district, a quiet area but only a 5-minute walk to the harbour front. 250 e (includes breakfast and taxes).

Mykonos Theoxenia

http://www.mykonostheoxenia.com/

Beside the windmills, no traffic noise, 4 minutes to Little Venice and a few more to the harbour front. Quirky, trendy and your kids will love it. 354 € (includes breakfast and taxes).

There are four good hotels in the Tagoo area (on the other side of the port) such as the Harmony, Cavo Tagoo, Apanema and Hotel Tagoo. Normally I would happily recommend them but there has been some complaints recently about construction noise from the marina presently being built and the related noise from construction traffic below the hotels. Some folks say it is minimal though, so, it may be worth still checking them out. If I had to choose it would be the Harmony.

Also, there are some very good hotels with terrific sea views on a hill that surrounds the town (Scholi Kalon Technon district). However, in early July that sun will be hot and you need to think of the walk up to them. If you feel you would be ok with that, let me know and I’ll give you more hotels to check out. To their credit, the sea and town views from these places are magnificent.

Bill
Old Jan 17th, 2010, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

Bill,

Thank you for your response. Yes, we will be there at the peak time and while I wish I could have avoided it..it was the only time the "kids" could come with now that they have jobs. .

I will start researching your information now. Thank you again!
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 05:02 PM
Original Poster

BLL, Do you recommend the Myconian Ambassador Hotel & Thalasso Spa? So far the Mykonos Theoxenia is our top pick.
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 05:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hi ; The www.mykonosgrand.gr/ is a great place to stay. So, if you decide to stay there , you want a 'sea' view, not a garden view. Great pool, walk down to the beach, very relaxing. Easy to get to town. We did walk into town, perhaps a half an hour. Whatever you decide will work Great island. Richard
Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 04:04 PM

Hi basch0902

The Myconian Ambassador is out of town, although there is a regular bus service and the journey time is about 10 minutes or so. Close to the (busy) beach at Platys Gialos but not actually right beside it.

The hotel has had in the past mixed reviews and the general feeling is that it's an upper 3 to 4 star hotel rather than the 5 it advertises.

Interestingly, iris1745 has posted a message about the Grand which you enquired about originally and I gave some info about. It is located at Agios Ioannis which is also a 10 minute journey to town. This is a superb hotel, as is another closeby called the Apollonia.

http://www.apollonia-resort.gr/

To be frank, if you are happy with a 10 minute journey time to town then I'd book one of the far better hotels at Agios Ioannis. No doubt about it.

Bill
Old Jan 24th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Bill,

Thanks for your help. The 10 minute journey is really not a issue for us. Actually, the kids take the bus to work every day and have longer rides.

I think we will go with Agios Ioannis area based on your comments regarding the location.

Richard,
Thank you for your recommendation regarding the Mykonos Grand.

Looks like we have narrowed down to the Apollonia or the Mykonons Grand.

Thanks again to both of you for your help!!!
Old Jan 24th, 2010, 02:31 PM

Good choice! I haven't stayed at Mykonos Grand, but the beach at Agios Ioannis is my favorite.
Old Jan 24th, 2010, 02:31 PM

Hi basch0902,

Back in 2001, a friend and I went to Mykonos for a week. The original place we wanted closed early (we went in early October), but I was able to find another place using this site:

http://mykonos-accommodation.com/

If you're still doing your research, you may want to try this site as they have a wealth of information. I highly recommend this site as the people who work there were very helpful.