Mykonos Hotel Help

Old Mar 6th, 2006, 05:59 AM
Original Poster

Mykonos Hotel Help

I am planning our first trip to Greece this June. I booked Hotel Tagoo (NOT Cavo Tagoo) on Mykonos. They had a very good rate on a family room, especially for Mykonos. I based my decision on Tripadvisor, but am now hesitant to rely on Tripadvisor after all the comments lately. So, has anyone stayed at this hotel on Mykonos or does anyone have information about it? I can't find any reviews anywhere other than Tripadvisor. Thanks.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 11:11 AM

I just booked 2 rooms for 3 nights at Hotel Tagoo for this July. It got great reviews on Tripadvisor, as recently as a few months ago. Plus the location is good (close to town) and you can't beat the price. Not to mention they were very friendly and prompt in responding to my emails. Only downside is the rooms aren't anything great but the pool area looks decent. Here's their website in case you don't have it www.hoteltagoo.gr.

My original choice for Mykonos was Hotel Rochari but both that and Hotel Little Rochari were booked. I stumbled across a Hotel Aegean (not sure where) and from their website, looks very nice. But they didn't respond to me, maybe it's no longer there. The other hotels that caught my eye were either not in the location we wanted or too pricey. Hotel Tagoo seemed to fit eveything we're looking for.

Old Mar 7th, 2006, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Angtort. Hotel Tagoo seems to fit all our requirements, too, and at a really good price. I just hope the reviews on Tripadvisor are accurate. I don't really care about fancy rooms -- just clean. I agree the pool in their website looks lovely. And I also was impressed with the Hotel's friendly and prompt replies. Still hoping to hear from someone who has stayed there ....
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 07:48 PM

Leslie28, got to have some faith, I think it will be fine (I hope). There were 8 reviews on tripadvisor. If it was just one or two, I might be more skeptical although it is strange that there isn't any mention of it on these postings. Then again, there are a ton of hotels in Mykonos. But frankly, I don't plan on spending much time in the room.
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 09:00 AM

Leslie28 or angtort: Did either of you end up staying in Hotel Tagoo?

I am trying to decide between Hotel Tagoo and Hotel Rochari and it would be helpful to hear from anyone who has stayed in either of those hotels. I can get the Rochari for 80euros and the Tagoo for 102 euros and I was wondering if the Tagoo was worth 20 euros more per night.

Does anyone know which hotel has the better location - meaning easier access to town? We want the easiest access to the restaurants in the town and aren't interested in being right on the beach.
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 02:24 PM

Hi Cheryllj

I've lodged at Hotel Rochari annually for about 20 years. It is located in the district of the same name which is quiet and offers a nice stroll down to the restaurants, bars and harbour. You can reach the harbour from the hotel in about 8 minutes. Closeby is small outdoor theatre which usually has traditional Mykononian folk performances e.g. singing and dancing. It's all quite charming, as is the area.

One thing about the hotel though is that should you decide to book with them, ask for a sea-view room on level three. Most rooms have great views (apart from their garden view rooms on the lower level) but the third level is the best.

One other thing is that the hotel is built down a small hillside with reception at the top level. The climb up the steps may be difficult for anyone who has slight walking problems.

Hotel Rochari is known as having one of the highest return guest rates of any hotel on the island. They must be doing something right. If you have any more questions about the hotel feel free to ask and I will try and help.

Thanos who posts here regularly from the island may come along and add more information for you. Hopefully he also might be able to assist with your enquiry about Hotel Tagoo.

bill
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 10:16 PM

I was in Mykonos in Sept. We stayed at the Mykonos Grand Hotel. It was beautiful and the staff was fantastic. It's a high end hotel so not sure of what your budget is. It's located outside of Mykonos town but a bus stop is outside the entrance and takes about 15 minutes to town.
Old Oct 19th, 2007, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

Hi Cheryllj. We did end up staying at Hotel Tagoo and we absolutely loved it. The owner and her husband were amazing. They helped so much with restaurants, picking us up at the port, rental cars, etc. By the time we left, we felt like family. At the time, they were much less expensive than Rochari for a family room and it was a great deal -- two rooms that were connected with a shared bathroom. It's not luxury accomodations -- just really nice, clean rooms, good bathroom, balcony with a lovely view, TV, and very nicely kept property. The pool was wonderful and the bar was fun with lots of interesting people to talk to in the evening. They seem to get lots of repeat clients, too. Breakfast was great. It was a walk into town, though -- maybe 10 to 15 minutes. Down hill going and uphill coming back, which was a bit tiring for the kids. I have never stayed at Rochari, but it sounds like it may be a bit closer to town. We plan to return to Mykonos this summer and will definitely stay at Tagoo again because we had such a great time there. Wish I could be more help comparing the two. Enjoy Mykonos. We loved it.
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 06:25 PM

Thanks to everyone who replied. I think we are going to go with the Rochari because it's 20 euros cheaper, although both places seem great. I'm glad we are going in the shoulder season b/c prices do go up dramatically in July and August.
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 02:32 PM

hello Cherryllj

Both are good hotels and family operated.

I cannot add to what billbarr has said about Rochari. It would be my choice as the district it is to be found I think is beautiful and very short distance to bars and restaurants and town.

Also, as billbarr say, make sure you ask for room with sea view.

Also, Little Rochari is a very nice hotel also but up a small hill behind the Rochari Hotel. I think its views are much better but you will have a little climb. But a small climb only.

If you need more infroamtion please ask.

thanos
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 08:07 PM

Thank you, Thanos. We have booked a room at the Rochari with sea view and balcony. Only 80 euros! Whoo!

I thought about the Little Rochari, but there doesn't seem to be as much information out there about it, seeing as it's pretty new (or newly refurbished anyway - I understand it was a different name before it was taken over by the Rochari folks in 2004). I'd like more pictures and info about the rooms, and I feel better about the Rochari b/c more people have stayed there and given it a good review.

Anyway, thanks to everyone. I now have all my hotels booked for Athens, Mykonos, Naxos and Santorini, and it's just a matter of planning the details and reading up on history and sightseeing now. And trying to learn the Greek alphabet, which is not easy.
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 01:07 PM

hello cherryllj

Ah it is a sad story.

The hotel was known as Hotel Edem before purchased by the owners of Rochari. The owner of the Edem is in prison.

I think you can sometimes find details of teh hotel on the Internet but for last 3 years it has been Little Rochari and the hotel has changed much with the new owners.

thanos