My Pilatus & Lake Lucerne same day

Old Apr 6th, 2016, 07:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Pilatus & Lake Lucerne same day

I'll be in Lucerne end of April. I'm planning to visit My Pilatus and Lake Lucerne. But I know that the cogwheel is closed till end of May.

Is there any other ways to Mt Pilatus??

Is it too much to visit these two places in a day ??
Old Apr 8th, 2016, 01:16 AM

There are several trams up to the Pilatus which are open year-round.

http://www.pilatus.ch/en/

And yes, you can do both things on one day.

http://www.lakelucerne.ch/en/timetable-fares/timetable/
Old Apr 8th, 2016, 09:00 AM

Mt Pilatus has a cog railway and also a cable car. Not sure of the dates fr each since we were there in June and everything was open.

Not sure how much of the lake you would see after ascending and descending the mountain and also touring around the sights at the top. We went up around 10 am, toured the sights, had lunch at the restaurant and then descended - and went back to Lucerne to see other sights there.
Old Apr 8th, 2016, 10:17 AM

There are multi-stage aerial gondolas: http://events.pilatus.ch/en/aerial-c...isualisations/

What is your definition of "too much?" Of course, you can do both. You will be back at Luzern cable car station by around noon if you go up at the earliest time. For some people, doing more than one thing of anything in one day is too much. For others, filling the day is too much, while others might define too much as exceeding the available time of the day. Too much can also mean spending more than some amount of money in one given day for excursions.
Old Apr 8th, 2016, 01:58 PM

easy - take a bus to the Lucerne cable car station and ascend Pilatus (unless cables are closed) and descend to Alpnachstad where you can board the lake boats and take a proper lake tour - first you go back to Lucerne and change boats to the other finger of the lake - the prettiest one - a fjord-like narrow arm of the lake to places like Vitznau or Weggis or even Fluelen (from where you can return to Lucerne by train).

Or take the boat from Lucerne to Alpnachstad - ascend Pilatus by one of the world's thrillingest cog-train rides and return to Alpnachstad or for variety cable car back down to suburban Lucerne at Krens. This would give you a taste of the lake but not the best part.

Or from Alpnachstad you can take trains that take about an hour to go to Engleberg which is a true Alpine Wonderland as opposed to Pilatus pretty much a single high Alp - Engleberg is much more impressive as an Alpine area and the famous revolving cable car takes you to near the summit of Mt Titlis and a world of snow and ice.

If I would chose I would chose taking the train from Lucerne to Engelberg and spending the day there in one of Switzerland's top Alpine Wonderlands and on another day take a boat ride around the lake and also look around Lucerne which is small and has few must sights except its sublimely pretty self.

check these sites for lots on the trains and lake boats: www.swisstravelsystem.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.