Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

My next trip to Paris - please comment my plant

Old Oct 11th, 2006, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We plan for the next a trip to Paris. We shall stay in a Paris apartment for all the time, and we plan to make day trips out.
It will be our third visit in Paris. This time we want to spend more time at Louvre, so we plan more visits there.
I wanted a relaxed plan, with one / two main spot per day, to have also time just to walk.

We aalready visited Chartres, Fointenbleau, Loire Valley, Normandy, so we do not make trips there.

What do you think about my plan? Please, if you have some advices - other things to be visited, other schedule, etc, let me know.

Thank you in advace,
Adrian.

1. Arriving in the morning, after a flight of 5 hours. Louvre - then Café de la Paix
2. Museum Maillol. A walk on Rue de Cler. Louvre again
3. Reims; lunch at Boyer Les Crayeres
4.(Sunday) Louvre, Delacroix museum , St. Germain de Pres
Antrecot restaurant
5.Vincennse. In afternoon - Louvre
6. Sorbona, Pantheon, Jardin du plante.
Lunch at La Porcope
7. Chantilly
8. St. Germain en Laye
9. Rambouillet
10. Visit Bourbon Palais. Then Marais , Place de Vosge, Rue St. Antoine, Hotel Sully and Hotel Sens.
Cafe Angelina's
11. (Sunday) Orangerie
Cafe Deux Magotes
12. Visit of Hotel de Ville. Museum Pompidou
Lunch at Flunch
13. Marmottan - Monet museum
Bois Bouogne and Park La Bagatelle
14. Vaux le vicomte
15. Grand & Petit Palace
Lunch at Antrecot
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 11:57 AM

hi, Adrian. I think your plan is pretty good, and you seem to have enough free time to just walk or fill in with things you may want that aren't planned (e.g., dept. stores, etc.). You have a lot of the Louvre, also, as you wish.

I have a few suggestions, just things in the area -- like on day 6, the Sorbonne should not take much time (what do you plan to visit there? I'm not sure what is open to the public or if it's just to see the area and outside), but you might also put on that day the Arenes de Lutece, the INstitut de Monde Arabe, and the Mouffetard quarter (shopping street and St Medard church at the bottom). Al those are over in that area, also.

The newly opened Petit Palais is one of my (new) favorites. I don't see how you can do two major museums that day before lunch (the Grand and Petit Palais), but perhaps you lunch late and don't have much to see at the Grand Palais, then it would work. I"d probably plan lunch as the break between the two.

I enjoyed my visit to St Germain en Laye, you don't say what you plan to see there (I suppose the main things), but if you are interested in classical music, be sure to visit the home of Debussy.
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 12:05 PM

Bit hard to follow what you are planning for each day. Is each day one number?

Some comments...
I assume you mean L'Entrecote restaurant, any reason eat there twice? I'd consider skipping Flunch also. Rue Cler is OK, are you looking for market streets? Buci, Monge and others might be more interesting.I've read so-so reviews on Procope, if you are going for the history, fine, but food may be less than optimal.
I might add Musee Cluny/Moyen age. Small and interesting collection, neat building. Don;t know if you've done Luxembourg gardens, I'd add that. Days trips to Giverny, Auvers sur Oise, St Denis could be possibilities.
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 01:05 PM

I would agree that getting to and from Vaux le Vicomte and seeing it will take up a lot of one day.
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 02:24 PM

It's nice you have so much time; my Paris itinerary for next week is like 20 things per day. Good to not overplan like me!

I personally don't like the Jardin des Plantes as much as say Luxembourg Gardens or Tullieres, so I might swap. And I'm not sure if you've been to the Orsay, but I'd definitely recommend that. Also, Quai Branly and Arts Decoratives are two museums that are totally new or have just re-opened, so it might be nice to check them out if you like that sort of thing.
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 02:33 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi adrian - when are you going? I guess that you are interested in gardens. If so and you are going in the spring/summer, have you thought about a day trip to Giverney? or the bagatelle gardens in the bois de boulogne? these would both make a nice change to the city, IMO.
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 09:08 PM
Original Poster

Thank you to all for suggestions. I have to look now again in by guide and in internet for more info about some places, like:
- Arenes de Lutece, Institut de Monde Arabe as Christina advised
- Auvers sur Oise - as Michael recommended
By the way, Michael, yes, each number in my list is one day.
We would like to go to Procope because is the oldest in Paris, as I want Cafe de la Paix and Deux Maggots because they so full of history and it seems to me that I know them from always!
- Quai Branly and Arts Decoratives - recommended by JoeTro.

Dukey, I forgot to write in my list that in the day when we shall visit Vaux le Vicomte , we want to go also to Barbizon. Do you think that this is too much for one day? I see that there are tours of 5 hours going to V V and Fontainebleau, so , based on this, I suppose that in a full day we can do on our own V V and Barbizon.
I understand that for both of them we have to arrive in Melun, and from there, take a bus or taxi. Is this right?

JoeTro, we already was in Luxembourg Gardens and Tullieres, and now probably will be again in Tullieres, as we be many time at Louvre. I think that in May, also Jardin de Plants will be beautiful. However, I'll look to find material about new / reopen museums, and maybe I'll change my plans. Yes, we visited Orsay and it is one of our preferred museums.

Annhig, yes, we plan to go in May and hope to have a nice weather. We was at Giverny four years ago. Bagatelle and Bois Boulogne are included in my plans , so I am happy that you also recommend them.

Old Oct 12th, 2006, 01:06 AM

Yes, you can get to VV from Melun and can easily take the train from Paris. When we did VV we had a private guide who ended up calling a taxi from the RR station in Melun to get us to the chateau itself. I am unsure about any bus services and cannot comment on the facility of combining that trip with any other sites.
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 06:51 AM

I really liked Auvers-sur-Oise, also, so do second that idea, if you want another day trip.

As for the other ideas, here is some info which should give you an idea

http://www.discoverfrance.net/France...e_Lutece.shtml

http://www.imarabe.org/

as well as
http://www.auvers-sur-oise.com/
http://www.chateau-auvers.fr/
Old Oct 15th, 2006, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Based on some advices and ideas from this forum, I think to add two more destinations in my initial plan:

- in the day 12 - after visiting the City Hall, to go to Chateau Malmaison
- in the day 7, after visiting Chantilly, to make a stop to visit Basilica St. Denis (I think that it is on the same metro line).

My question is: do you consider that have I enough time to visit these places (two in a day)?
Old Oct 15th, 2006, 02:38 PM

The Arenes are pretty much a walk through or walk by in my opinion. They were rebuilt in the 1900s and are not in the state the Romans left them.
A visit to basilica St.-Denis can in my opinion be completed in an hour, but it is very much worth seeing. Pay a bit extra for the audio guide. The admission to the royal crypt is included in the museum pass if you are purchasing that.
Old Oct 15th, 2006, 07:36 PM

I wouldn't consider the Arenes any special thing to make a point of seeing or go out of my way for, either, but just mentioned it because he was in that general area, so thought you might drop by for historical reasons. I liked the basilica at St Denis very much, but if that is the only thing you want to see there, it shouldn't take more than an hour.

I did like Chateau Malmaison very much, and you could do that if you have a half day free, I suppose. That would probably be too much for me in one day (too much of the same thing), but I don't usually like to go to two museums in one day, unless one is very brief and just on the way to somewhere. The problem with Malmaison is it's going to take up time getting there and back, it's not that direct. It's not hard, but the RER stops quite a ways from the chateau so then you have to take a cab or whatever. There are buses, I took one back from near it all the way to the Arch de Defense, but all that takes time for the logistics.
Old Oct 21st, 2006, 07:27 AM

Not sure how you are getting to Reims, but be sure to include a tour of one or 2 of the champagne houses near Les Crayeres. Pommery, Taittinger, and Veuve Clicquot are both within walking distance. That is if you can walk after the lunch! I'd select Pommery if you can only go to one. You'd need to make a reservation for Veuve Clicquot, but that would be my 2nd choice. Enjoy your lunch.........Les Crayeres is incredible!
Old Oct 21st, 2006, 07:42 AM

Adrian.....looks very good but I am confused. It seems that all your dining is lunch. It also appears that there is no dinner and all your evenings are blank. I normally have a café "bite" at lunch and make my evening activity a relaxing and enjoyable dinner. WhAt have you planned for the evenings?