Balearic Islands, Sardinia, and Corsica

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there! My friends and I are trying to plan our spring break, and we want to go to the Balearic Islands, Sardinia, and Corsica. First of all, I am wondering if it is a silly idea for us to go in March-- will it be worth it even though it seems that everyone goes in the summer? Also, since we're studying abroad in Rome, we can easily get to Barcelona and the Islands, and then from Sardinia to Corsica and back, but we're having trouble figuring out if we can get a ferry or flight for cheap from the Balearic Islands to Sardinia or Corsica. We would prefer going to either Mallorca or Ibiza (and suggestions on which one to go to would be much appreciated), and we'd really like to make it all work, so any advice you have would be much appreciated! Thanks!
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 06:51 AM

Ashley,

It depends on what you are looking to do. March is not beach weather, but Mallorca is beautiful all year round. Ibiza, though, is not about the beach but the party, which there is plenty of. If you and your friends are looking for insanely vibrant nightlife, go there! We used to go out all night then crash on the beach during the day, only to do it all over again, but that was in deep summer. Not that you can't just substitute "hotel room" for "beach". . .

Mallorca is a much more laid back place and has things to see (cathedral, some ruins, etc). It is a very livable island. While you are there you absolutely must eat sobrasada, a meat spread that I could easily live off of.

I have never traveled from the Baleares to Sardinia, so I don't know what to say, but I am sure there is a way. See if you could possibly save yourself the flight to Barcelona and do Sardinia, Corsica, Baleares, then go from there back to Italy. You might have to arrive in Portofino and then train it, but it might be cheaper and you will see more countryside.

Have soooooo much fun!

Claire
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 03:11 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the reply, laclaire! I am getting so excited! I am just hoping that someone else can reply to the other part of my post as well- I need to know how to get from Mallorca or Ibiza to Sardinia or Corsica!! Thanks for the help in advance.... Ashley
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 11:40 PM

Unfortunately no direct link whatsoever between the Balearic islands and Corsica. In summer there are, I believe, charter flights from Barcelona to Ajaccio. Just recently, I discovered that Grimaldi ferries have a daily crossing from Barcelona to Civitavecchia near Rome which you might be able to make use of.
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 11:50 PM

I´m not sure whether that helps - but:
One of the German low-cost-airlines, Hapag-Lloyd Express, flies to both Mallorca and Sardinia. That way´you´d simply fly via Cologne.
You may want to take a look at www.hlx.com
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 03:48 PM

Do you have a recommendation on where to stay on Mallorca? I'm hoping to avoid the tourist-y areas and am looking for a beautiful, not overly crowded beach.
Old Oct 21st, 2006, 08:07 AM

A non tourist area in mallorca is Illetas approx 9 miles from Palma. Ideal beaches. We love it there.