Search

My next trip chaperoing trip

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2007, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My next trip chaperoing trip

Hey Fodor People!
Hitting the road with those high schoolers again next year. Here is the deal...

London
Stonehenge/Salisbury
Normandy/Mont St. Micheal (I'm trippin' about this part)
Loire Chateaux
Chartres-Versailles (been there done that)

This trip is by far not going to be a 5* Luxury trip (you know,the one I deserve) I will be likely sleeping with another Woman and yes, it's o.k. with my husband. I will be looking after about 40 High Schoolers and some adults who act like high schoolers. The Hotels will be all 3* and some that wish they were 3*. Breakfast and Dinner are always included in the price and I can honestly say that out of all the trips I've made with the kids I can recall 2 dishes I didn't like, both were in Spain. And I lean somewhat twards a veggie diet, I always get something good when I ask for something special.

We will be traveling by plane, train,automobile, bus and I see were taking a ferry from Salisbury to Normandy (hey i'll have to check that one online)I have the MO in front of me. Of course our flight is overnight. Going from Detroit to London. OMG I hope we use BA. 2 years ago a beautiful Lady at the BA counter here in Detroit took mercy on me and let me upgrade to first class for $250.00, I had no idea what a deal I got until I got to my seat. I can only hope and pray for that repeat. Once you gone 1st class it's hard to turn back. One drawback, though I'm not a drinker, when I got in my 1st class "bed" I was offered a glass of bubbly. I couldn't indulge, after all I had 35 kids in coach who think I'm awesome, how would it look. I did walk past the curtain to wave Hi to the kids in Coach.

This is a drop your bags and run trip. You figure out right away you ain't young like you used to be and you'll have no problem keeping up with the kids. WRONG. But they are trips of a lifetime. I have a blast with the kids and parents. I have been to some fantastic places and have memories I'll see flash through my mind's eye when I die like in the movies. I have made friendships with kids who still drop by the Restaurant to say Hi and get a free meal. I always pay my way and do what I want once the kids are locked up in their rooms for the night. I get to creep around the city were in all night and eat what I want and go where I want. I must say the time change kills my inter clock and I hardly sleep anyway while in Europe. So it's perfect.

If anyone could give me some info on some cool stuff to do in the above cities at night. Places that are unusual and where some good food a chick can sit alone and eat at. Coffee shops that are open late where I can write in my journal so I can post all the good stuff on Fodor's when I get home I really am interested in info regarding the Mont St. Micheal area. I feel really lucky to be going on this part of the trip, and with 2 nights there I want to squeeze out the best in the time I'm there. I will have the chance to extend my trip while in Paris, so If I can save all my dimes and quarters I just might be able to stay 3 days longer alone.

Thanks to anyone who sends me along some tid-bits.

Theresa in Detroit
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 03:09 PM

Hi Theresa, Your trip sounds like it will be fun. It's a student tour? What company are you traveling with? What time of year will you be traveling?
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

Hey Freeman

It's a student tour (french/spanish). We have used NETC tour company who I can highly recommend this co. They are awesome and the tour guides fantastic.
We are leaving March 12-20 2008. 3 years ago we did madrid/paris. Last year Spain France and Italy. Which I have done posts for. And now England and France. In fact this March the kids are going to China. I had to pass on that one. Just took 2 trips since aug. and I don't think I can stand a day away from my granddaughter for a while.
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 03:41 PM

Ah ok. I have never traveled with NETC. Have only traveled with EF. Am heading off to Paris in two weeks. I will be on the lookout for things to do at night. Cheers!
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 09:00 PM

Theresa-
Sounds like a blast! I was in Mont St. Michel 2x & felt it really was a magical place. I'm very into food & the landmark restaurant,Mere Poullard was amazing. It isn't cheap but the signature dish, an omelette/souffle is something I crave because it's unlike anything I've had anywhere else. Last year I was there with my youngest son who was 15yo & he will never forget it.
Have a great trip! Meg
Have a g