Search

Booking hotels directly or through websites

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2007, 06:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Booking hotels directly or through websites

Hey everyone,

I was just wondering if it is better to book a hotel directly, or through a website like expedia or travelocity. The hotel in question is the Hotel de Lutece, which does have a website which has a reservations tab.

Thanks
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 07:03 PM

I've found that, in many cases, I can get a better rate booking directly with the hotel. I check the rates on travelocity and other such sites and then check with the hotel. I then choose the lowest rate and book that way.
I've seen as much as $100 more charged for rooms through the travel sites versus directly with the hotel. I've also found that many times the travel sites will say there are no rooms available but contacting the hotel directly yields a choice of several room categories.
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 07:09 PM

I've seen it happen both ways - in terms of getting the best price. So far as rooms go, I haven't noticed a difference in quality by always choosing the cheapest method, but some people have reported otherwise.

If the price is the same, I'd probably go through the hotel site.
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 07:20 PM

I've also found booking through an "incoming" tour operator or travel agency in that area may be able to offer you better "FIT" rates because they have contracts with many hotels (search for one on the internet using the key words "incoming+travel+agency+(city)). One final option is to use Priceline. However, you can only pick the area and class of hotel, not the specific hotel, but I've been very surprised at some of the great deals that are obtained this way. Hope this helps!
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 08:43 PM

There is no one best way. I find that if need to get a rock bottom price I have to try the hotel directly, the better known websites like expedia, etc., city/town websites, tourist agencies, and my Quija board.

Where the best price ends up coming from varies. In addition to those you mentioned, a couple of websites that have done well for us are www.hrs.com and www.venere.com.

On our most recent trip, we made one reservation directly with the hotel and the other thru venere.com.

We don't use Priceline's blind bidding as location is very important to us. But if exact location isn't that important to you, I know people who have gotten very good deals.
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 09:39 PM

Unless you can get a considerably more favorable rate, which is not usually the case in Europe, booking through a third party website, it's better to book directly. Rooms vary significantly. And, if this hotel is in Paris, in my experience, you will do much better booking directly.