Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Anyone following the Tour de france this year?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2006, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering if the interest in the Tour De France has disappeared since Lance Armstrong retired.
We have followed the tour for the past 5 years and loved every minute of it.

We will be following the tour again and can't wait. It will be just as exciting for us because we just love the whole "tour" experience.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 09:48 AM

I hope the excellent coverage continues even though Lance isn't participating.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 09:52 AM
Neopolitan

Once again we'll be in France for the first two weeks of it and I'm sure I'll be following it from time to time on TV as usual, but I have to admit the excitement for me will be down without Lance Armstrong.

This year we will return home before the final laps in Paris, unlike two years when we saw him make his final entry into Paris.

Old Apr 26th, 2006, 09:54 AM

We'd love to, if only we could find out where to find television coverage--DISH network no longer carries OLN, and so far I haven't turned up a good place to find coverage. I'd like to know what, if any, channels are covering the Giro d'Italia, now that we've missed Paris/Nice.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Actually I think Dish Network picked up OLN again, I've been told it is again on the original channel of 151.

We've only been to paris once, other than in 2003, we've concentrated mainly on the stages in the Alps & Pyrenees. In 2004 my husband rode the citizens race called L'etape du tour which is one full stage of the tour a few days before the official tour & riders come through.

I've met the loveliest people along the route from around the world. And since for me all the riders are champions, I don't expect any less excitement this year.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 10:24 AM

We love it too and I think it will be just as exciting without Lance---it will be interesting to see whw comes forward as the leaders---will it be Ivan Basso? Jan Ullrich? (Or is he getting too old?) Fortunately we get OLN, and since we live on the west coast, we can watch the live broadcast of the end of each stage in the morning while getting ready for work.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 10:29 AM

I'll be watching however I have mixed emotions...it will seem so strange without Lance and yet again it may be extremely exciting to see who will win. Floyd, Jan, Ivan or someone totally new!
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

In many ways you get to know more of what's going on with the great commentary by Bob Roll & Phil Ligget & Paul Sherwin, than we do standing on the road in France. That's the one thing I really miss is a commentary in English that I could really understand.
I often called friends to fill us in, because the radio announcers speak way to fast for me to follow.

During the stage on Luz Ardiden when Lance Fell, I was with a lovely French family who had been repeating the radio broadcast for me in a slowed down version so I could understand, until it was announce that Lance fell, and they didn't know what was happening either so they called their son in Italy who was watching it on TV to tell us what had happened.

Madame was so thrilled to tell her son she was standing next to an American on the mountain, that I didn't have the heart to tell her you couldn't swing a cat without hitting an American at the tour that year.

That's how I've experienced the tour with French fans and indeed fans from all over the world all around.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

I think the excitement will be heightened this year because it is an open field. I love Basso, I think he will be a strong contender.

I sometimes laugh to myself as I'm reading the posts about wonderful hotels and restaurants and tease my husband what a cheap date I am.

I see France from a tent pitched by the side of the road, and eat pique-nique, and I couldn't love it more.

I may have no idea about the great places to eat or stay in Lyon or Paris, but If anyone wants to know where to camp on the Galibier or the best place to stand to see the tour on Alpe d'huez, I'm your girl.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 10:57 AM

Without taking anything from Lance, I'm hoping more classic Tours starting this year. I'm hoping that the new leader is someone who competes in the Giro and/or Le Vuelta as well as a few classic races.

Lance specialized doing just the Tour. His winning shows that he was doing it correct but the total show was cut down to one specific race.

Lance did one thing which was perfect. He kept a team which ticked like a Swiss watch. They did what they're to do, at the time they were ready to do, what they're needed.

Maybe new teams will start to emulate the last year or two with Lances group. I would like to see a few of the South American riders again. Also, we need to have some Italian riders to spice up the Tour.

Blackduff
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Well Salvodelli of Discovery is going for both the Giro to repeat his win as well as the Tour, so it should be a good year for the Italians.

In fact this year we will also be traveling to Italy as well so my husband can ride some of the famous passes of the Giro d'Italia.

Old Apr 26th, 2006, 12:36 PM

We have followed the Tour since the arrival of our first French exchange student, Julien. There was something quite bonding with him and the Tour when catching ESPN's 2am coverage of the Tour avant Lance Armstrong. I especially enjoy the teamwork strategies. Can't wait for July. I hope OLN's coverage is just as complete this year as next. If nothing else there is always the internet. Deborah
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 12:38 PM

Blackduff---you are so right about what Lance's team did for him. He is an amazing athlete, but he could not have achieved what he did without his team. So who will now lead Team Discovery, and will they do as much for the new leader? Will it be Salvodelli, who is racing so well right now?

I read that Lance picked Jan Ullrich to win this year's Tour de France, back in January. Ullrich, unfortunately, is not doing well with his comeback after his latest injury. I would like to see him win another Tour, but T-Mobile will have to do a better job of working together.

Celticharper----how wonderful for you to actually be there. I know we get a better overall view on TV, but it's not the same as being right there in the midst of it. My son was on the Champs Elysees for the finish in 2000 (before the French tired of seeing Lance win), and it was very exciting. He even called me on his cell phone to report.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 11:47 AM

My wife and I will be in Strasbourg for the Time Trial and the start of the first stage. I can't wait to see Le Tour in person. I have been watching it since Indurain won it 5 times and I am super excited!!!
Old May 3rd, 2006, 11:57 AM

Can't wait -- go Ivan Basso! I live in NYC, get the OLN network, so I sit in bed with a glass of Veuve Cliquot and love watching!
Old May 3rd, 2006, 12:31 PM

We TiVO it but yes certainly, will be watching every minute. Someday when kiddies are older, we plan to be there (even if it means one year with national park visits).
Old May 3rd, 2006, 12:55 PM

Maybe you guys can help? We'll be in the Midi Pyrenees about 20 miles from Tarbes, the day the tour leaves for the mountains. We'll have 4 kids with us aged 9-16. We thought we should go and watch a bit? Should we? Where should we go? and what should we expect?
Old May 3rd, 2006, 01:05 PM

If youre in the area at the time, go! It's my understanding that most of the fun is had when there are no racers in sight

As for me, I am debating whether it is worth it to travel from Italy (Roma) just after the 15th and see a mountain stage (alps) or two and then back to Italy to see what I want to see. I wish the Giro was in July instead!
Old May 3rd, 2006, 01:53 PM

Sheila--watching a stage of the TdF in person could be a great experience for your kids (and you too!) Just be aware that (a) the crowds can be pretty rowdy, and (b) in some areas (particularly in the mountains) you have to get there quite early to claim a spot from which you can see anything. I haven't been there myself; I learned (a) from watching the excellent TV coverage we get in the US, and (b) from friends who have been there.

Personally, I wouldn't miss the opportunity, but we're a "cycling" family.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 02:30 PM

Celticharper (and are you atually one?), I found OLN on the DISH line-up yesterday when we got a new receiver. Hooray! Now, the question is whether to subscribe to RAI next month to get the Giro--the commentary will be in Italian, a language of which I know only for travel and opera purposes. We might have to follow the Giro on line.

But I'm very relieved about having OLN back so we can watch the Tour. Floyd Landis is looking fairly good, I think.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -