My Great Walks #1 - Windsor Great Park & Runnymede

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25th, 2018, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For more than four decades I literally walked around and around and around Europe- about anytime I was not on trains that is - often clocking on my pedometer 20 + mile days. Now, however my walking has become very limited due to physical factors and mishaps but some super duper walks that many may enjoy are etched so vividly in my mind's eye. So I hope to do some very tardy trip reports but only about the general nature of these walks which rarely changes. And I welcome anyone who has done these more recently to update anything of material interest or just tell of your experences!

WINDSOR GREAT PARK

About 7 years ago, I set off on an unchartered walk I knew little about but which I always wanted to do: take the train from Waterloo to Virginia Water and wander down thru Windsor Great Park all the way to High Tea with the Queen!

Getting off the train at Victoria Water Station, I was confronted with one of the most ritzy and American looking subdivision all along the road I followed to the entry to the Great Park. It was a gated community and the homes were humongous, for England at least. Wiki says Virginia Water homes are the most expensive in the U,K, outside of some London boroughs

Here is a map of Virginia Water area - the train station is a red symbol and the B 389 road leads from it to the park entry:

https://www.google.com/search?q=virginia+waernap&oq=virginia+waernap&aqs= chrome..69i57.10806j0j9&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Once in the park I noticed Virginia Water, a large lake that has a nice looping path along it with interpretative signs, etc but I wasn't into that but to get to High Tea with the Queen! There were also near this entry the Saville Gardens, the Valley Gardens, a famous totem pole (A gift of Canada), an artificial water fall and hidden away some weird Roman ruins named The Temple of Augustus! Parts of the lake's shores also served as venues in Harry Potter films.

The ruins have an interesting story:

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/...castle/550199/

The very famous and popular Saville Gardens are near this entrance which has large car parks nearby:

The Savill Garden | Britain's Finest Ornamental Garden | Windsor Great Park

OK though I did tiptoe thru the Saville Gardens and took a brief look at the Roman ruins, like the Mad Hatter - I was late for a very important date so I put my stride into top gear and left this rather mobbed area (there were some vast Polo Fields nearby as well).

Now I had just a crude map from some guidebook and took off following signs for Windsor on a zigzagging paved lane with several intersections where it was not quite clear which way to go. But I kept seeing Royal Park rangers cars going down hill so I just decided to follow the switch-backing roads downhill - the road however seemed endless and I was not sure I was going to where I wanted to go but kept plodding along. And ah soon I crested a hill (Now Hill) and was heading straight for the super-famous of equestrian statue of King George III - a beacon see in distance from the castle, majestically sitting three-miles away at the end of the Long Walk.

More about the Equestrian Statue:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Copper_Horse

Folks just going to Windsor itself can take the Long Walk up for great views of the Castle and Windsor and Eton spread out beyond it:

The Long Walk & Deer Park | Windsor Great Park | Windsor Great Park

Well from here the walk was easy, going thru the deer park, some horse stables and the Royal Mausoleum - Frogmore:

https://www.royal.uk/royal-mausoleum-frogmore

So finally crossing an incredibly busy road that upsets the area's tranquility, you reach Windsor itself and the castle. I had been to the castle before several times so spent time looking around Windsor the thriving regional town with the usual pedestrian High Street with on it all the famous shops any High Street would have.

But just when I was heading for High Tea with the Queen she texted me that she had been delayed leaving Buckingham Palace and was stranded in traffic and said next time she'd be there.

The old Windsor Central Station was at that time a veritable museum of old royal carriages and such - still used by trains too.
Then, I bopped over the humpbacked old bridge over the Thames to Eton to try to explore some of its colleges and the playing grounds where, the story goes, future battles in war would be won with the training the generals, etc got here in one of Britain's most elite public schools. (Of course 'public school' in Britain means private school - in this case a very very expensive privates school that has produced so many famous Brits and royals.) Luckily it was a day when the schools were not in session so could look around some of the grounds thought the buildings were locked. And I walked around the playing fields by the Thames - thinking of all the famous folks who had played here.

Eton's High Street is charming - especially the ancient pubs lining it. I waltzed back over the humpbacked bridge and to Riverside train station for trains back to London Waterloo (by far the most scenic of Windsor's two train lines each with their own station as it follows the leafy path of the Thames much of the way after getting out of London proper. The line from Central Station not far away actually take a busy rail route that is rather industrial - which to me can be scenic because I like that kind of stuff but to most boring as it takes you to Paddington Station.
WALK # 2 : WINDSOR TO RONNYMEDE AND SLOUGH.

Please - Anyone with comments on this walk or the park or whatever your experiences were please join in!

Last edited by PalenQ; Dec 25th, 2018 at 12:59 PM.
Old Dec 25th, 2018, 08:25 PM

PQ-Really enjoyed reading the Windsor Great Park walk. Brought back some memories as I walked in the area maybe 45 years ago. Thus, really long ago. But you have helped refresh some details.

Wondering how do you remember so many details. Did you keep notes do you consult your old guides to help you write. I am truly admiring the details.

Would love to read more about your outings. You are an amazing writer and of course a very well, experienced traveler.

Looking forward to reading more.
Have a fabulous holiday season and stay warm, wherever you are.
Old Dec 26th, 2018, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

ileen - thanks for your nice comments. No I do not take notes but my favorite walks linger in my tiny brain and I think of them often.

Cheers!
Old Dec 26th, 2018, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

WALK # 2 WINDSOR TO RUNNYMEDE AND STAINES

This walk took me first to Windsor to tour the castle and explore Windsor and Eton and then try to find my way to Runnymede - I could follow the Thames for that but I wanted to go ove rhill - up the Long Walk thru Windsor Great Park 3 miles to the George III Equestrian Statue and turn left until going on edge of some wealthier housing areas came out to the park gate - from which I had little clue but kept going on the street that led off it, going downhill that I thought was a good sign and eventually caught view of a large meadow with some things in the middle of it:

https://www.google.com/search?q=runn...w=1280&bih=625

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/run...and-ankerwycke

Well a few minutes looking at the various memorials or monuments was enough so I hoofed it down to the main road and walked along it to a large traffic circle with some famous golf course hotel or something and crossed to Staines - a largish town with little of interest save trains back to London.

A nice walk for someone never being to Windsor could be Windsor -Runnymeded-Staines (or other closer train station along the riverside rail line.

Lots of folks go to Windsor but never think of going to Runnymede but should - buses also go there from Windsor.
Old Dec 27th, 2018, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

https://www.google.com/search?q=runn...iUJvR26PODvwM:

Here is a map of the Runnymede Meadow area - of note is a memorial to John F Kennedy.
Old Dec 27th, 2018, 08:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brenda does not take High Tea. High Tea is decidedly Non-U.

My mother was born in Old Windsor, Berks. 3 members of my mother's family worked at Eton College.

Thin
Old Dec 27th, 2018, 10:15 PM

Who the F cares? (as if anyone believes your crap). Loser.
Old Dec 28th, 2018, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Pepper_von_snoot
Brenda does not take High Tea. High Tea is decidedly Non-U.

My mother was born in Old Windsor, Berks. 3 members of my mother's family worked at Eton College.

Thin
I dunno. I rather like the idea of the Queen having high tea. A nice kipper with bread and butter, followed by jammy scones and battenburg cake washed down with builder’s tea
Old Dec 28th, 2018, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

I'm not sure what kind of tea Queenie was on about - high tea sounds good - getting high with Liz! I was supposed to go to some kind of tea with HRH the day I went to Runnymede but as I was getting off train at Windsor Central station she texted me that she 'was embarrassed to say she and the castle had run out of tea. Oh well so close but so far.
Old Dec 29th, 2018, 08:33 AM

I am one of those who spent a lot of time at Windsor, but never thought of going to Runnymede. In fact, I did not know anything about this beautiful area.
With your help and your report, I am learning a bit. In addition, I am sad, I did not even try to explore more.

You are adventurous and like to explore, so you learned so much about Runnymede,
Looking at the photos, I think I really missed out a beautiful and historic area.

Well, maybe I will have a chance to go there again someday.
Travel dreams continue as the new year approaches.
Looking forward for more walks with you.
Have a great weekend.