Search

Getting to Windsor From London

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2009, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting to Windsor From London

Hi,

We will be touring Buckingham Palace on a Tuesday morning in Sept. I thought it would be nice to keep the palace theme going and head over to Windsor. Suggestions on the best way to get there, how long it takes and any advice/tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 09:48 AM

The best way is by train from either Waterloo or paddington. It takes less than an hour and the trains staion is very near the castle.

If you're going - try and fit in Eton College (if nothing else the Chapel) which is very close.
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 11:02 AM

It's a 45-minute train ride from Windsor & Eton Central (WNC)to London Paddington (PAD) via Slough (SLO). You change trains at Slough, but it's generally a quick connection. You can access schedules and prices at the National Rail Web site (http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/).
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 11:18 AM

I'd say the route from Waterloo is prettier as it goes thru leafy suburbs most of the way and then goes along the tranquil Thames for a few miles to the Windsor Riverside station, tucked along the river just under the Casle brooding high above. You get a good view of Windsor Great Park on the approach to the dead-end Riverside station. Just up the Thames from the station is an arched bridge leading to Eton and like CW says be sure to at least stroll along the main street and peek into the various school courtyards and playing fields ('where wars were won' or some such saying) and chapel.
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

I love the people who write on Fodors forums! I can always get the information I need to make my trips go smoother.

Thanks so much. I really appreciate the info and tips.
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 12:05 PM

Since I was staying near Victoria Station and Windsor trains don't go from there, I took the Green Line Bus 702 which leaves from the Colonades shopping mall by Victoria. On Friday evening the price was only 4 pounds and the trip took about an hour and 20 min. It's a direct bus to Windsor Parish Church right on the High St. Returning on Sunday afternoon was 7.50 pounds, about the same length of trip back to the Colonnades. There is an info desk there where you can get a schedule and prices- the bus runs almost every hour and starting at 8PM the fare is only 1 pound.