My "Cabin Cuddler" Has Arrived

Sep 21st, 2006, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

My "Cabin Cuddler" Has Arrived

Last week I order it, and a "1st Class Sleeper" from Tamperseal.com (1-800-381-5109). They delivered it in six days. I saw both items for sale on several other sites, Magellan for one, and the prices were basically the same, give or take a dollar. I ordered from Tamperseal because they offered free UPS shipping, and no sales tax, $34.95 total.

The Cuddler is an airline blanket type of thingie, shaped like a cross and it wraps around you, and opens in the front. I like it because the top part goes around your shoulders and folds over your chest like a shawl. You can open it up to read or eat, while the bottom of your body stays covered (if you are cold).

I gave it the wrap around test and I really like it. It is warm and cuddly. To be honest, it was a very warm, as it was in the mid-70's today in San Francisco, so I'm only guessing about the warm part - but it was cuddly. There is a pocket at the bottom to slip your feet into.

It's machine washable. The colors on line looked very bright and garrish, so I choose a very nice royal blue one. It almost looks navy blue online.

It stuffs back into it's own carrying pouch, kind of like a mini sleeping bag holder. Stuffed, it's probably about 14" long and 5" around. The pouch has a elastic handle that you can slip over the pull out handle of your wheelies or suitcase. It can also be folded and put into your carryon.

It looks and feels nice, but unfortunately I won't be able to use it on a plane until December.

I haven't opened the 1st Class Sleeper yet, which was discussed and recommended by some, here last week. It says that it is for people 150 - 225 lbs., so for the first time in ages, I just may be 'underweight' for something...... A few weeks in Paris will certainly take care of that 'awful' problem

NO, I don't work for them but when I saw it in the Magellans catalogue, it looked like it would take the place of a yucky airline blanket and cover all of me at once. Being able to open it on the top to read, eat etc.. was the selling point

So, if you see a royal blue mummy hopping down the aisle, say hi, because if will be me.

Nina
Sep 22nd, 2006, 01:59 PM

>>There is a pocket at the bottom to slip your feet into.<<

Um... I have this picture of a sudden emergency....
Sep 22nd, 2006, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

Patrick, actually it is more of a pouch, only on one side of the material. In case of emergency or just a routine exit from it, you just move it across your lap and you're outta there. Look at diagram on the site and you'll see exactly what it is.

It's way cheaper than a pashmina, albeit not 'quite' as stylish.

When I cover my self with the airplane blanket (yuckiness aside), it doesn't go all the way down my body and only covers me from the front. This thingie will stay on my body - I guess you have to see it to know what I mean.

Nina
Sep 22nd, 2006, 02:25 PM

It just sounds like a baby bunting.
Sep 22nd, 2006, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

I sometimes get very cold during the flight. Even though it feels comfy now, I won't actually know if it works until I fly in December. If it isn't what I want, hey, it's just a travel accessory, we've all bought loads of things that end up in a drawer. Hopefully this will be just what I was looking for - if not, I've spent far more for far less.

http:www.tamperseal.com/product_ info.php?products_id=93

I'm not selling or defending it - I just wanted to share.

Nina
Sep 22nd, 2006, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

I hope I get the link right this time ...the third time is the charm.

http://www.tamperseal.com/product_in...products_id=93

Nina
Sep 22nd, 2006, 03:17 PM

I'll look forward to a report on the 1st Class sleeper deal.
Sep 22nd, 2006, 03:32 PM

i'm not sure about something that takes a five step illustrated instruction to refold and pack. ...about as complicated as repacking a parachute. i highly recommend this site for a good laugh at travel gadgetry run amuck. lots of things that are found under the xmas tree, used once (if that) and then tossed.

the washable, form fitting airline seat covers were my favourite.

and how about wearing that huge ID holder around your neck as you travel.

the slashproof money belt that you wear outside your clothing is pretty cool too.

check out the duffelsafe 100 with eXomesh™
secure duffel bag

travel accessories for non-travellers.
Sep 22nd, 2006, 03:39 PM
Original Poster

Suze, I won't be able to actually try the sleeper out until December. There is a thread from a few weeks ago, Travel Pillows, and there were varied opinions on it. The man at Tamperseal said that people either love it or hate it, doesn't seem to be anyone inbetween.

I am very short, 4'-10½", so it may not work for me. I'll try it out in my car, passenger side, and see if I can get a general idea. On the companys site, which I was unaware of until I saw the info on the box, the inventor says that for people that are 5' tall, they recommend sitting on the bottom 2 inches of it .... to boost you up to the right back position. I hadn't realized this before I ordered it.

Maybe DH, who is 5-11 will like it, if I can convenience him to try it. We both have bad backs and can't sleep on planes, so I was really hoping....

If I do keep and use it, I will definitely include it in my trip report, but that won't be until sometime in January.

I'm now thinking that maybe it will have to be returned, although it does look like a great idea.

Nina
Sep 22nd, 2006, 03:55 PM
Original Poster

walkingaround ... the site that you found so amusing, says that you can just shove the cuddler back into the sack - without going to the trouble of folding it - something that would be impossible on the plane. That's what I did and it works just fine. Apparently you took some time to go through the site, were you looking for something special, or just for a good laugh?

I only bought two things from that site, as that was all that interested me, but it looks like the rest of the accessories are the same things found on almost every other travel accessory site or in catalogues.

Some people, like you apparently, travel with nothing but clothes and what you/they consider to be the bare necessities. That's OK - others, like me, while trying not to overpack, do like a few extras to make them more comfortable.

Can you honestly say that you have never purchased any accessories that looked useful at the time, and then abandoned them later? I certainly can't.

Nina
Sep 22nd, 2006, 04:09 PM

>>>>
were you looking for something special, or just for a good laugh?
>>>>

honestly, just a good laugh. but lighten up, i was only having some fun. you have to admit that the diagram for refolding/packing IS pretty funny.

maybe these things are normal as you say they are in all travel stores. i haven't seen or heard of many of them so i guess when you see strange things for the first time they seem funny.

seriously, no harm intended. just having a laugh.
Sep 22nd, 2006, 04:46 PM

why i'm curious about the 1st class sleeper is i have trouble understanding how something that takes away even MORE of the teeny bit of seat space you get on a plane in coach could possibly improve the situation. maybe because you're little it will work out though.
Sep 22nd, 2006, 07:25 PM
Original Poster

walkingaround -

Please forgive for jumping on you like that. I guess the above negative posts got to me and then poor you posted something in fun and I took it the wrong way. Sorry.

Suze -

I can't explain, but I know exactly what you are asking. Go to:
http://www.1stclasssleeper.com
and check out the video there. I am unable to do it because it won't allow my Web TV to view it. I'm sure that it will work with a computer.

Also check out the "Press" section on the home page. I think it is from The Travel Insider at the top of the page. They give a very good description of the product and it explains exactly why it does not take up precious room in a coach seat.

There are also pictures on the site. I'm sorry that I can't just give you the link directly to that page, but it doesn't seem to be working - at least not for me. This is just not my 'link' day.

Again, walkingaround, I'm really sorry.

Nina
Sep 22nd, 2006, 07:30 PM

Sine we are talking about the first class sleeper again I might be able to answer a few questions. First, as far as the weight of the user, my wife who is the one who loves it, is under 150 lbs and it doesn't seem to be any problem. She has a couple of herniated discs after an old car accident and she says it geve her the support she needs and keeps her back from hurting on a long flight.
As far as taking up valuable leg room, it does push you an inch or so forward in the seat, but it also acts like a cushion on the seat bottom that raises you up some. Think of a chair. If you are sitting higher, you don't need as much room fore and aft for your legs, so in this case, it seems to even out. Sort of like the rear seat of my old Citroen Dyane.
I don't use mine because for me it is just plain uncomfortable. I don't like the feel of it - nothing more than that.

My kids can take it or leave it including my 5'4" daughter who might break 110lbs after a large meal.
Sep 22nd, 2006, 07:40 PM
Original Poster

basingstoke1 - thanks again for the explanation.

The reason that I've been so persistant with the Sleeper, despite the pros and cons on the other thread, is that I've recently finished two months of physical therapy, for collapsed discs in my neck. This causes a lot of upper back pain, especially when I sit - either upright in a chair, or in bed propped up on pillows.

Of course, I could just pop a few muscle relaxers and some pain pills, but then I'd miss the delicious meals and the inflight movies. Too many pills, and I'd miss the landing too. Besides, I hate flying higher than the plane.

I am not suppose to sit in one position for more than 30 minutes - so I am really hoping that not only will the Sleeper help me to sleep, but that I will be somewhat more comfortable during the long flight.

This disc/back thing happened after we had booked our flight, etc.. and I really really want to go. I'm willing to try almost anything and everything at this point. The lower back is a problem too, but not like the newest condition.

I know that the seat has to be reclining so that you can lay back into the sleeper, so if by any chance it will work for me, I'm more than willing to give it a try. Otherwise, I too will have another garage sale item.

Nina
Sep 22nd, 2006, 08:18 PM

Nina66 - my wife's disc problem is about in the same place as yours. The pain is in the upper back. I hope it will help you as it helped her.
Sep 22nd, 2006, 08:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks basingstoke1.

Nina
Sep 22nd, 2006, 08:47 PM
Original Poster

Can you imagine the look on the security guy's face when they inspect my carryon, and find a good sized blue blankie and a large iflatable thingie. I may just have some explaining to do.

But that's an entirely different thread.

Nina
Sep 23rd, 2006, 08:50 AM

Thanks everyone for the details. Nina, good luck with your flight.
Sep 23rd, 2006, 09:18 AM

Nina66,

I am glad that I read your report. I like the Cuddler. I usually bring a cashmere blanket with me when I travel but it it not enough because my back gets so cold and my feet gets hot and cold. It is annoying to have to keep taking my socks on and off. I think it is perfect for my problem. Please report how you like the cuddler. I am planning a trip in January.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO