Reload this Page >

My Best Travel Companion

Search

My Best Travel Companion

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7th, 2002, 05:20 PM
Will

My Best Travel Companion

My best travel companion could not read a map. She could not figure exchange rates, nor did she speak a foreign language.<BR><BR>She depended on me to navigate public transit and and move her through customs.<BR><BR>She could pack a suitcase tight as a drum, though, and was organized to a fault.<BR><BR>She wasn't as svelte as she would like to be and had more gray hair than brown. She always wanted to be stylish, but managed to be merely exuberant.<BR><BR>I loved her more than I love my life and I buried her on Tuesday.<BR><BR>Do not put off for tomorrow what you could enjoy today.<BR><BR>

Old Dec 7th, 2002, 05:25 PM
Patrick

I must admit I have a couple tears in my eyes. What a lovely tribute.<BR>You know of course, that she will always be a part of you in future travels and that should bring a ray of happiness in this time of sorrow.

Old Dec 7th, 2002, 05:31 PM
lisa

Your best travel companion will always be with you, but she'll now also be your guardian angel. You have my deepest condolences.

Old Dec 7th, 2002, 05:45 PM
mimi taylor

Will, I'm sure she felt lucky to have you too.

Old Dec 7th, 2002, 05:49 PM
Julia

I too shed some tears while reading this. Will, we should all be as lucky as you to find such a traveling companion. You were truly blessed. I am so very sorry for your loss.

Old Dec 7th, 2002, 05:52 PM
mt

&quot;...Sometimes people leave you<BR>Halfway through the wood.<BR>Do not let it grieve you.<BR>No one leaves for good. <BR>You are not alone.<BR>No one is alone...&quot;<BR><BR>Into the Woods<BR>Stephen Sondheim<BR><BR>My condolences.

Old Dec 7th, 2002, 06:52 PM
Bob C

I have had my travel companion for 40 years and I know that some day one of us will travel alone. Your note reminds me just how much she means to me.

Old Dec 7th, 2002, 07:09 PM
Jim

Will, it would be presumptous to say that anyone knows how you feel but my travel companion of 40 years died on our first post-retirement trip on October 12.My Reluctant Traveller always grew enthusiastic as we travelled and after 40 days in Central Europe on our last night she said, &quot;You know we could see more if we extended our stay&quot;. Not to be. Will, you are so right: Do It Now! For the rest of you a simple suggestion that I never thought of until I needed to: if you have a power-of-attorney for health care, take a copy with you. For those compassionate people who responded to Will, what a blessing that you are around. For me, as probably for Will, there will be other travels but for neither of us will they be the same.

Old Dec 7th, 2002, 07:09 PM
Beth

Will: thanks for this joyful, yet tearful reminders: 1. stylish is greatly overrated, and 2. Carpe Diem. <BR>May you continue to travel with your travel companion looking over your shoulder and unexpected companions who you meet along the paths you take...<BR>cheers, B

Old Dec 7th, 2002, 07:43 PM
xxx

That was so sweet.My best travel companion was my grandmother. Her parents were from Messina-Sicily. I went to Italy with my grandmother twice. It was such a joy to hear her speak Italian to the natives. I'm sad to say that no one in my family spoke Italian, and when my greatgrandfather died in 1973, that probably was the last time she spoke it regularly. We went to Italy in 1997, and in 2000. I thought she was such a wonderful interpreter, although she thought her Italian wasn't so great. But it was. Just like her, it was terrific. I'm so glad we made those trips. My grandmother passed away in 2001,and I have lovely memories of those times.

Old Dec 7th, 2002, 07:55 PM
tjc

Hugs to Will, and Jim.<BR>Thank you also for the reminder-do not put off until tomorrow..

Old Dec 7th, 2002, 08:12 PM
xxx

Nice sentiments, but this was posted last year.

Old Dec 8th, 2002, 01:18 AM
Ira

Message: Nice sentiments, but this was posted last year.<BR><BR> Anniversary reminder?

Old Dec 8th, 2002, 05:45 AM
anon

The post last year was very similiar except for one difference - the traveling companion had not died.

Old Dec 8th, 2002, 11:52 AM
Will

Thank you for your kind words. Yes, come to think of it, I did post some time ago when we learned that cancer has reoccurred. It has been a long fight with many gains but unfortunately, more losses.<BR><BR>My purpose in posting is nothing more than to urge you to do your dancing today, wherever that may be, because we are not promised a certain number of tomorrows. <BR><BR>And don't be put off by bumps in the road. They are just bumps, after all, and will give you interesting memories. <BR><BR>Thanks again for your kind thoughts.

Old Dec 8th, 2002, 01:16 PM
Wendy

Will,<BR><BR>I was very moved by your postings. Last year, I uexpectedly lost my dad,the guy who was always planning his next trip before he'd finished his last. In fact, he was in the middle of arranging a trip to the Ukraine,the home of my grandparents, when he died. My mom, his fifty-year plus traveling companion, took the trip anyway, and was able to cherish what she saw, knowing how much it would have meant to him. I hope you will continue to travel, since it seems to have brought both of you so much joy.

Old Dec 8th, 2002, 01:18 PM
Wendy

Will,<BR><BR>I was very moved by your postings. I am so sorry for your loss. Last year, I unexpectedly lost my dad, the man who was always planning his next trip before he'd even finished his last. In fact, he was in the middle of arranging a trip to Vilna, the home of my grandparents, before he died. My mom, his traveling companion of fifty-years plus, went anyway, and cherished every moment of the trip, knowing how much it would have meant to him. I hope that you can continue to travel, since it seems to have meant so much to both of you, and that you will meet lots of great people along the way who will lend their support and good cheer. All the best!

Old Dec 8th, 2002, 01:45 PM
Danna

My husband and I took our first trip to Europe together when our kid &quot;left the nest.&quot; I also was our 20th anniversary year. We learned many things, but most importantly, we really liked being together, even close to 24 hrs a day! Our partnership sounds like yours... what a blessing. My husband suggested that first trip and the second, third etc... Our photos show VERY happy people, and that's what I will remember. Thanks Will for your rememberance.