Search

WHAT do you travel for?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2004, 11:25 AM
Tat
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WHAT do you travel for?

Somehow after reading replies to ?I will never come back here? thread I started to think about purpose of traveling in general.
Why people do travel ?
?I am not going to Germany because of people?
I did have very unpleasant interactions with German youth on the streets myself, but I still dream about beauty of this country, it?s immaculateness, peace?( I stayed in small Northern town).
It is often told that we are traveling to explore different cultures. HAHA ! For a week or even a month without having bills to pay in THE country you can explore ? my ear ! Right ?
So, if we can be bothered by rude natives or bad weather ? why do we travel then ?
How can we discharge whole countries just by having a ?bad hair day? ?

So, why do YOU travel, YOU personally ?
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 11:36 AM

Three different motivations come to mind. Sometimes you just need to get away and get a different perspective. Other times you crave the cultural and educational stimulation best found through travel. And still other times you travel for business (which helps accrue points/miles for more leisure travel- yeah!)
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 11:36 AM

I travel so I will have something to say in these stupid, neverending questions TAT asks.
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 11:43 AM
Tat
Original Poster

earl, baby, though I do not remember any usefull info from you, anyway ... THANKS for traveling for ME.
No one so far done it ...
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 12:22 PM

To see the beauty in other places, experience different cultures, and learn from it all.
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 12:36 PM

tat,
I like your question
I travel for cultural experiences. I love to try different foods and wines. I love to hear different languages. I love to meet people from all over the world. It makes my life rich and interesting.
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 12:41 PM

Hi
I travel for the stimulation of new places. To experience....
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 12:43 PM

This is a good question.

We travel to experience the world and the differences in all cultures. The end result is that you soon realize that the way things are done in your small universe is not necessarily the way they are elsewhere.Sometimes they are done much better.

This gives you a better understanding of how you approach life and problems......then there is my wife's reason.....TO SHOP!
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 12:55 PM

To see what's there!
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 12:56 PM
Amy

I travel because without it I would feel incomplete...It is my favorite way to learn and I love learning! It's true that you can't learn so much in a week or two of time, but it's still so much more than if you hadn't gone. So many places still to visit, so little time...
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 01:02 PM

I love to know other people cultures and discover their beautiful countries..

Also, I travel so that I can visit my family in Europe ..
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 02:28 PM

I travel to see, hear, smell and taste places that other people have talked about or I have seen in pictures. It is one thing to read about the Golden Gate Bridge and the hills of San Francisco but quite another to witness it for yourself. I want to travel to Europe for the experience of seeing a place with such rich history and to experience a different culture- be it good or bad!
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 03:56 PM
dln

Dear Tat, I wish I could give you some kind of erudite answer, such as I love to travel because I have burning desire to know and experience different cultures...but I'd be telling you only half the story. The more I travel, the more I realize that it's simply to get out of the house! Don't get me wrong; I love the house, I love the people I live with in the house, I love where is house is, but sometimes, I just need to get out of the house! And the farther away the better, as in across the ocean. May as well make it interesting while I'm at it.

Old Jan 28th, 2004, 04:05 PM

Agree that for me part (by no means all) of the reason for travel is to get away. Some people unwind by sitting on a beach in St. Something. I would die of boredom in an hour. For me the best way to unwind is to immerse myself in somethig completely different than my everyday life - a whole new set of things to cope with is a great diversion.
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 02:29 AM

I travel to experience...

- the great cultures/civilisations of the world

- different cuisines (food & beverages)

- walking in the footsteps of history

- the geniuses of the world of art (painting, music, architecture)

- interaction with people from around the globe

- natural beauty

- something different from what can be found on my doorstep

Of course, we hope all of these experiences will be positive, but of course, this is not always the case. A negative experience affecting one or more of your prime motivators for travel could sour the whole destination for you.
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 04:54 AM

Good question.

In the 19th century a person's education was not considered complete until they took the grand tour. At that time it was only for the wealthy. Today, many more people are educated and can and do travel.

Travel is a means for finding truths. The truth that there is sublime beauty-walking through the Provence countryside; history - touring the Saratoga battle site; memory - the streets of Dublin.

Travel at its purest essence, perhaps, is a means to fortify humility - a virtue always in too short supply.

Anthony
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 09:59 AM

I find a change of environment invigorating.
I get a great deal of enjoyment out of seeing new places that are different to my own home town/ region/ country.
I love to meet people from all around the world.
I like learning. Learning about history, politics, culture, art, people - about everything. I always learn something when travelling.
I absolutely adore the eating aspect of our holidays - love trying new foods as well as enjoying familiar favourites made in the authentic way.
Travel engages all my senses.
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 10:50 AM

In short, to relieve stress! Although nowadays, just getting to your destination is stressful too.
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 11:50 AM

one reason i particularly enjoy european travel is that as i have my own business and when travelling within the US, i'm really too close in touch. when i'm in europe i simply let it all go with the realisation that i'm gone for ten days and i'm not going to come back to "fix it" (at least not at that moment's notice).

the two times i go overseas per annum are the only non-stressfull periods of any given year: no irate phone calls, no employee hassles, no sense of urgency...no nothing. i love it.
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 01:49 PM
uuhhhh

how 'bout a change in tack.......

is a trip to europe any less hedonistic than lying on a beach in bora bora?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -