Reload this Page >

"Must sees" in Wales

Search

"Must sees" in Wales

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 06:45 AM
mary

"Must sees" in Wales

We will be spending two days in northern Wales in June. What are your favorite things to do and see? We would like to go hiking in Snowdonia also.

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 06:50 AM
kavey

I really enjoyed visiting Beaumaris castle and town - also stunned by Din Lligwy (an ancient ruined village some millenia old). Conwy was great though I didnt get to spend enough time there. The gardens at Bodnant are also well worth a visit if you enjoy walking around such things. A visit to Llechwedd slate mines was also interesting - really brought home the life of miners in Wales.<BR><BR>Kavey

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 07:03 AM
flygirl

the little Llanberis railroad was a lot of fun! I took it to the top of the mountain, and hiked back down. absolutely stunning. the mountains, the clouds, the many and various little lakes all over. I stayed in Betwys-y-Coed which was also lovely. it was a beautiful drive from B-y-C to Llanberis, too. you just climb and climb, up into the mountains.<BR><BR>that would be a great time of year to go, too.

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 08:11 AM
Ani

Stayed in B-Y-C also in MArch-WONDERFUL...and visited Conwy, Beaumaris and Caernarfon...all of which were amazing--

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 08:13 AM
Ani

Mary-forgot to mention that we have all of our pics from Wales on a website if you are interested you will see them listed by castle...the siteis<BR>www.panteravb.com and click on UK pics!

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 10:20 AM
Elaine

Portmeirion is so &quot;un-Welsh&quot; and so totally unexpected that I think everybody should go there at least once. The nearby seaside town of Criccieth with its castle is a good choice for a sunny day, as is Llangollen with its canalside walks and ruined monastery thingy (but it gets crowded at weekends in summer). There's lots of good walking territory around there too and try to visit Swallow Falls and the Horseshoe Pass. I also enjoyed the Llechwedd slate mines on a cold wet day in March, but if the weather's fine it might be a bit of a waste to spend your time down a mine.

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 11:43 AM
xxx

Add Harlech to the list of already-mentioned villages and castles. I wish we had planned for more time in North Wales. It was by far the highlight of our trip.

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 03:41 PM
mary

Thanks for all the great ideas! Does anyone have any great ideas for lodging? We want to spend under $150 or $175 a night.

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 03:56 PM
Cymru

&quot;Bed and Breakfast&quot; in a private home cost much less than 150 dollars. Look for B&amp;B signs or go to the local tourist office who will call for you.

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 05:44 PM
gail

We spent a day on Anglesey, the island just north of Snowdonia. Very nice. B&amp;Bs in your price range. Just drop in at the TI.

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 11:39 AM
myles

the mawdeech estuary leading to barmouth is beautiful walk on the precipice near dollgeau is great when the weather is good lots of horse riding to the old gold mines bala lake for sailing

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 02:44 PM
Tom

Wales is also known for their male choirs. We spent a wonderful evening listening to a performance.<BR>Regards - Tom

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 02:58 PM
Jim

2 days probably won't be enough to see all the &quot;must sees&quot; as well as hike in Snowdonia. Here are some of the things we enjoyed in N. Wales:<BR><BR>Conwy<BR>Beaumaris Castle<BR>Caernarforn Castle<BR>Harlech Castle (a lot of castles!)<BR>Railroad to top of Mt. Snowdon (although you can walk to the top, long walk!)<BR>Walks through Snowdonia park<BR>Swallow falls near B-Y-C

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 03:39 PM
ginny

This is a tough one...there are so many places...it's hard to know where to start. I agree with all the suggestions above and can add: Beddgelert, which is a quaint montain village;<BR>Llechwedd Slate Caverns in Blaenau Ffestiniog...we took the Blaenau Ffestiniog steam railway from the harbor town of Porthmadog which was fascinating, so we were able to tie a few things into one!!!!! <BR><BR>Wales is so beautiful and there is so much to see...I am going for a week in May...a bit further south...I can't wait!!!!