Reload this Page >

Should I make a London itinerary?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 02:04 PM
Georgian

Okay...I am scheduled for a 7day/6night package in London in Feb 2003. I have an idea of what I want to see and do. But should I make an itinerary? or Should I just decide each day what I want to do? Just curious what everyone thought.

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 02:14 PM
ddd

Have you been there before? If not, wouldn't you at least research the things that interest you even if you don't assign them a day on your calendar? If you know the city and what you like to do there, just wing it.

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 02:53 PM
Grasshopper

I just do what I want to do on the days that I want to do them. I don't make a hard fast plan at all. But do make a note of when things are closed.

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 02:58 PM
reader

Depends on what kind of person you are. If you like to &quot;go with the flow&quot; do. If having a plan makes you more comfortable, than do it. Maybe figure out what's near what &amp; plan days that make geographic sense. Then once you're there, decide each day which of your &quot;day plans&quot; to follow. <BR>The one thing I highly recommend is do a city bus tour the first day. It will allow you to see everything &amp; get a sense of the city. The guides are also quite amusing.

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 03:02 PM
bobbie

I find that if I don't organize myself a bit with a schedule, I'm flying from one end to the other and often think back at the end of the day, where did it go? So I would recommend knowing what is closed and what things are in some sort of proximity to one another but also to relax and just enjoy the surroundings. Hope you have a great trip!

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 03:05 PM
Georgian

To answer a few things, I have been there once but it was on a tour group. Therefore I really didn't get a chance to seen and do everything I want. I will land in London on a Sunday and leave Saturday. I am doing a rough itinerary for the day I land but that's it so far...

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 03:18 PM
Ben Haines

I think you should not make a plan, but should take a map of the underground from http://216.239.39.100/search?q=cache...n&amp;ie=UTF-8 and group your intended visits by location. That way you spend little time zigzagging around London.<BR><BR>Please write if I can help in this, or otherwise. Welcome to London<BR><BR>Ben Haines<BR>

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 03:22 PM
David White

No need to plan every move and moment, but a couple of thoughts about a logical itenerary--<BR><BR>Have a general idea of where the various places you want to see are located. That way, if you want to visit the Globe Theatre, for example, you'll know that it is located just downstream from the Tate Modern musuem (if that is on your list). The Science Museum is next door to the Victoria and Albert museum, etc. You can group your sights somewhat so that you aren't spending as much time commuting as you are sightseeing.<BR><BR>Flexibility is the key. Enjoy London.<BR><BR>David White<BR>http://www.KidsToLondon.com<BR><BR>

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 03:23 PM
barbara

I was in London for 7 days and my daughter who had been living there made me a wonderful itinerary day by day including trips to Windsor, Bath, and Oxford. I like everything planned to the last detail to not waste time. If you like I will send it to you.

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 04:49 PM
Virginia

If you are interested in the theater and concert scene make those plans first, then plan your other activities around them. Studying the map is also a good idea. Don't overschedule yourself; leave room for serendipity. Resign yourself to the fact that you will not be able to see and do everything you planned. As you cross things off your list, plan to do them on your next visit.<BR><BR>

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 05:02 PM
Planner

Everything in moderation. Don't overplan, but don't be unprepared. Vacation time is too precious to waste sitting on the wrong subway lines, running back and forth across town or going to places that are closed that day. I've seen so many Americans frustrate and fill themselves with regret for being disorganized or not having a general flow plan! I prioritize and perhaps schedule a little too much, and always end up modifying things based on the weather, unexpected experiences and my mood.

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 03:51 AM
ann

Barbara - I'll be in London for 8 days and plan trips to Windsor, Bath and Oxford. Can you share a bit more about your itineray? For example did you split it up one day in London and the next a day trip, or did you group them, etc. Did you find some days better to get out of London or did you just do the day trips when you felt like it? Any tips on those day trip - or anything else - would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 04:09 AM
Carol

Barbara-I'd also be interested in hearing your itineray since I'll be visiting London and the surrounding areas as well in Feb.<BR><BR>BTW, the only other time I was in London was for Christmas weekend and everything was closed the whole time we were there. You can bet we'll have a serious plan this time - and we'll have more time!

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 06:11 AM
Keith

I did a very detailed itinerary for my trip to London earlier this year. London was a long time dream and with the world the way it is, it might be my only visit. There was a lot I wanted to do.<BR><BR>I wasn't locked into any of the activities except the theater tickets I already had, but the the trip went as planned except for one restaurant visit that I cancelled.<BR><BR>One thing that helped a lot was haing detailed directions for subway routes and changes between the places I was planning to visit. A couple of times where I was confused and running late, they made all the difference.<BR><BR>If you would like a Word file with my itinerary for 5 days in London. Remove the words &quot;NOSPAM&quot; from my address and send me an email.<BR><BR> Keith<BR>

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 06:56 AM
elaine

Hi<BR>Here's some advice from an obsessive-compulsive viewpoint.<BR>When I'm going to a place for the first time and have dedicated sight-seeing to do, or if time is short and I have a long list of must-sees, I make a grid.<BR><BR>Across the top I make a column heading for each day of the trip.<BR>Each row header is an important sight/site. Within each cell for each day I put information as to whether the place is closed or open, and if open, what the hours are. <BR>I group the row headers for the sights by approx. location or area, and I leave a little room to list the metro/subway stop next to the sight. <BR>This really isn't as complicated as it seems, and it's all on one or two pages.<BR>As I set out each day for my first destination, I then have a one or two page crib sheet indicating at a glance what else I can see in the area, what the metro stop is, and confirmation that it is open that day.<BR><BR>Of course I never get to everything on the grid but it just helps me feel that I went about things in an organized fashion, without zig-zagging all over the city each day, or without being disappointed by arriving at a place and finding it closed that day. As the days go by, priorities change,or drop out altogether. Also keeps me from madly flipping through the guidebook or scrutinizing the map while I'm on the street.<BR>

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 07:46 AM
Carolyn

Barbara - I will be going to London for 7 days next summer (after 7 days in Edinburgh) So I will be writing to you on your E-mail for a copy of you itinary. Carolyn

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 09:07 AM
Jen

Moderation in all things, including planning AND spontaneity!<BR><BR>I do a simplified version of Elaine's spreadsheet. I make a list of all the things I want to do, group them by area with notes on days things are closed (or open late). Then Iplan daily itineraries -- but I don't assign them to a specific day of my visit, instead I note &quot;outdoor days&quot; and &quot;indoor days&quot; (generally mostly museums) and each morning when I get up I listen to the weather forecast and then choose a &quot;day&quot; itinerary to follow.

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 08:39 PM
Russell Farquer

I usually read the responses first, but this time I jumped right to the post<BR><BR>Yes...make an iteneray! You can change as you go. But do your homework. London is great, but lots, and lots to do and see.<BR><BR>Get a good city map. Look at the &quot;tube&quot; web site www.thetube.com/and the bus routes. Getting around is important to seeing and doing alot in London.<BR><BR>7 days flys by. Enjoy

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 12:41 PM
sue

I make a list of things I want to do, with hours, days closed, and the nearest tube stop. Then I group them geographically. And I try to group them as &quot;rainy days&quot; (museums and indoor activities) and &quot;clear days&quot; (walks and outdoor sites)and I choose what to do each day based on the weather forecast and what it looks like outside.

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 02:58 PM
Georgian

Thanks for all the great advice--I can use all the help I can get. It will be interesting since this will be my first solo trip anywhere. I am gonna throw another question (or 2) to go along with my original..<BR><BR>#1With everything to do within the city would it be worthwhile to do a day trip anywhere if so where would you suggest? #2 The last night I am there I am planning to stay up as late as possible so I can sleep on the plane, is there any good 24 hr places (or best place to see the sun rise) in London?<BR><BR>I appreciate all the help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -