"Must See" Day Trips from London/Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17th, 2013, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone have ideas for "must see" day trips to sights around London or Paris?

My husband has discussed going to Stonehenge? Is that worth the trip?

Thank in advance for any advice!
Old Dec 17th, 2013, 06:21 AM

I highly recommend the day trips offered by www.walks.com they are affordable and have great guides and use the trains.

You can also use their days out as examples or ideas for trips you can do yourself. Stonehenge paired with Salisbury to see the cathedral makes a great day out from London.

The regular walks in london are good value as well!
Old Dec 17th, 2013, 06:25 AM

Yes Stonehenge is worth it if you have never been. It is roped off and is more touristy than it was 30 years ago but it still is impressive.
There are books out there for both London and Paris called :
DAYTRIPs London or DAYTRIPS Paris by Earl Steinbicker. These books are now in their 6th edition and I have used them for over 30 years. They give you 50 different daytrips from those cities and how to get there by train,bus and car. What to see and also hotels and restaurants.
Old Dec 17th, 2013, 06:28 AM

Versailles!
Old Dec 17th, 2013, 06:54 AM

When are you going?

Nothing is "must see" to everyone. If you have interests, state them and you'll get suggestions tailored for you.

Versailles is unique. It will be incredibly crowded. There are single day (whirlwind) Normandy tours that depart from Paris.

The list of potential day trips from London is endless. E.g., Windsor, Hampton Court Palace, Dover, Bath, Salisbury . . .
Old Dec 17th, 2013, 08:00 AM

It's always useful to search previous threads. Here's a recent one that contains an exhaustive list of daytrips from Paris: http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...from-paris.cfm. (Thanks again, FrenchMystiqueTours.)

To BigRuss's London suggestions, off the top of my head (OTTOMH), I'd add Brighton, Oxford, Cambridge, York....
Old Dec 17th, 2013, 08:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_museums_in_London
Old Dec 17th, 2013, 08:41 AM

Windsor Castle is a short train ride from London and the town of Windsor itself is sweet - nice pedestrian shopping street and Eton just across the Thames is also a nice component so for one day trip that is close to London and won't cost a fortune in time or money to get to Windsor is a good option. Trains run frequently there via two different routes.
Old Dec 17th, 2013, 08:57 AM

FWIW, one of the best day trips from London is Hampton Court Palace, which we liked much more than we liked visiting Stonehenge (with a car and NOT on a day trip) many years ago. As dutyfree says, it is impressive, but it is roped off so you can't get close and your visit, as ours was, may be very short. We did it on the same day we went to Avebury, and much preferred the latter.

OTOH, you can wander around in Hampton Court Palace all day, there are people in period costumes offering insight and, if you want, you can take a boat on the Thames back to London rather than taking the train. That was a blast. We had great weather and a boatload of (mostly) Londoners, an unforgettable experience.
Old Dec 17th, 2013, 09:01 AM

How many days will you be in the cities themselves?
Old Dec 17th, 2013, 09:20 AM

I was going to post my Paris day trip list but I see Mimar beat me to it.
Old Dec 17th, 2013, 09:41 AM

Define 'must see' leverett. That is such a useless phrase unless you do so.

How about the Fan Museum in Greenwich, would you consider that a 'must see'? Some people will. Or the Museum of Brands, Packaging and Advertising in Notting Hill. Some consider that a 'must see'.

Your interests define what is a 'must see' for you and unless you tell others what YOUR interests are, all you will get is the usual tourists sites any guidebook could provide you or someone ELSE'S idea of what THEY, not YOU consider a must see.

'Must see' is one of the commonest and silliest terms used on a travel website.
Old Dec 17th, 2013, 09:44 AM

I agree that Hampton Court Palace - the English Versailles of Henry VIII and a few of his wives (and many consorts!) is amazing - with of course the famous Maze and cneturies The Vine - which still yields grapes but inside the palace there is a surprise at every turn - this palace comes to life with things like folks in period costumes everywhere including some singers and the most complete Tudor Kitchens anywhere where it looks like a feast fit for Henry (which means tons of food of course!) or any king.

And the trip to Hampton Court can be fun - either by train along the Thames the last part or by boat from Kingston and or London Westminster Pier or by walking like I did once from Kingston along the Thames Path four miles to the palace and its sprawling grounds.

Hampton Court which I enjoy more than Windsor Castle because it offers so so many varied things to see and do.
Old Dec 17th, 2013, 11:30 AM

I'd also strongly suggest you research Stonehenge before visiting it.

Like Dover - and unlike Versailles, Giverny, Oxford or Bath - it can very easily disappoint. Stonehenge, more than any other major sight I've ever visited, can make an unprepared visitor shrug and drive on to the next stop (though the new visitor centre - http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ntre-opens.cfm - MIGHT change that).

It can also, for anyone who's really researched its thousands of years of history be totally gobsmacking. ONly you know which you are.
Old Dec 17th, 2013, 11:52 AM

I will echo Jamikins and highly recommend London Walks (www.walks.com). While we did not utilize any of their day trips, we took several of their tours while in London and were really impressed with the quality.

We took two day tips using a company called International Friends while in London, one in particular that took us to Windsor, Stonehenge and Bath which you might enjoy. It made for a long day, but the small group and energetic tour guide made it worth the trip.
Old Dec 17th, 2013, 01:18 PM

bookmarking.
Old Dec 17th, 2013, 01:19 PM

As history buffs my family loved Hampton Court Palace. Much to see and do and if you really want to make a day of it you can take a river cruise going/coming instead of the train.

We'll be returning to Versailles next summer as well. On our previous trip we only saw the gardens. We'll actually see the palace this trip. My kids are thrilled!
Old Dec 17th, 2013, 01:22 PM

A short stroll up Thames from the palace is a famous Lock - old-time lock you can see worked still by hand (or could last time I was there) - the nice restaurant overlooking the Thames by the palace gets good reviews. I found the chippie in the village opposite the palace more my cup of chips however!
Old Dec 17th, 2013, 01:40 PM

As for Paris the day trip to Chartres is near the top of my list - there is no real top of course - just seeing that great Gothic Cathedral is worth the hour or so train ride - but Chartres is also a sweet regional town with some other ancient churches and a neat old town along a quaint canal. The cathedral is literally within eyeshot of the train station.

Malcom Miller tours are legendary - http://www.cathedrale-chartres.org/f...ticle-254.html
Old Dec 19th, 2013, 04:47 AM

My favorite day trip for London would be Hampton Court...a short train ride and a whole day of things to see there.

Stonehenge is really cool — but I probably would not go there unless your trip is pretty long. (I went in 1966 when you could walk right up and touch the stones...can't do that now.) I think the transport-time/visit-time ratio is not as favorable as some other trips.

Versailles is probably the top must-see day trip for Paris...but I wouldn't rule out Giverny -- Monet's Gardens -- if you are looking for a second trip, and you are going when the flowers are in bloom.

If you are really into churches, Chartres is certainly worthwhile...but remember, Paris itself has Notre Dame and — my favorite — St. Denis. So you won't be seeing something radically different for your travel-time expenditure.

Reading my opinions, you probably can see my philosophy: Since the fixed costs of travel (airfare and hotel) are so great, the most important resource you have to manage while you are there is time...not money. So choose your day-trips based on that.

SS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -