Reload this Page >

MUST do in Athens?

Search

MUST do in Athens?

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2002, 04:49 PM
Chris

MUST do in Athens?

Hi, <BR><BR>I will be in Athens for 1 1/2 days, what must I see/do? Acropolis is first on list, is there anything else? thanks<BR><BR>Chris

Old May 15th, 2002, 05:41 PM
DU

Get some guide books (Fodors, Frommers, Eywitness)and decide what will suit your interests, Chris.

Old May 15th, 2002, 05:42 PM
Simon

Do the text search first.

Old May 15th, 2002, 05:43 PM
ppp

I'd visit the Acropolis the earliest possible in the morning, specially in summer when one has to swet it out. To me, though, what one shouldn't miss is the Archaeological museum. One doesn't have to mention Plaka, since you'll end up there for sure in the only evening you'll have.

Old May 15th, 2002, 05:55 PM
kkkkk

Do anything you want

Old May 15th, 2002, 06:17 PM
zorba

Brush teeth, bathe.

Old May 15th, 2002, 10:53 PM
April

While in the area of the Acropolis and the Plaka take a walk through Anafiotika with its Cycladic-style houses. And watch the Evzone guards at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier near Syntagma Sq. The Fodor's guidebook has some good walking tours.

Old May 20th, 2002, 08:24 AM
sue

Lycabettus is spectacular. Take the funicular to the top and you will have an amazing view of the city! There are even two restaurants up there which will make for an unforgettable evening.

Old May 20th, 2002, 10:44 AM
Ken Docter

Acropolis and the main museum are about the only things worthwhile. I agree, get to Acropolis early. Hope you can get to the islands - that's the REAL Greece.

Old May 20th, 2002, 10:52 AM
Grasshopper

I think Ken's view is incredibly shortsighted. And I agree with the recommendation of Lykavittos Hill. But I wouldn't eat there. I would eat in the Plaka. Athens is a tough nut to chew but worth the effort. Check out Matt Barrett's website www.greektravel.com Also, check out what Yahoo travel has to say about Athens. It has a good synopsis of what's interesting.

Old May 20th, 2002, 12:53 PM
Kelly

I thought the National Gardens was a wonderful break from all the hustle and bustle of the city.

Old May 20th, 2002, 01:00 PM
dave

No offense but the National Gardens are definately not a must see.. Go to Daphne Restaurant (pretty sure of the spelling) for a wonderful meal and atmosphere. Finally don't be afraid of all the stray dogs!!

Old May 21st, 2002, 11:41 AM
maria

I enjoyed visiting the presidential palace where you will see the changing of the guards in skirts and also visiting the first ever olympic stadium which is right in the heart of the city.

Old May 21st, 2002, 08:06 PM
Vera

I think it is sad when people don't take time to discover the treasures of Athens. The Parthenon, the Plaka, the Archaeological Museum, and Lycabettus are top attractions, but there are many other wonderful small museums, and surprising neighborhoods. <BR><BR>Earlier I offered to e-mail an article I wrote for a magazine about what to do in Athens for a short stay. If you would like to receive it, e-mail me directly.

Old May 21st, 2002, 09:27 PM
April

Sure the National Gardens aren't that great but they do provide a nice break from the heat and the traffic. You can go there before or after watching the Evzones because it's right next door.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 12:35 PM
Kat

I agree with Acropolis early in the morning, maybe lunch in Plaka since it's nearby. <BR><BR>If it's Sunday, go to see the evzones (guards of the Presidential Palace) in their parade at 10:30am. If not, on the hour is fine.<BR><BR>National Gardens are not a must. Yuk! Overpriced cafes, flashers and other unsavory characters in the park, and unkempt areas!<BR><BR>Lykavitos Hill is great at sunset! But I agree with the above, don't eat there! The food is middle of the road and overpriced!<BR><BR>If museums are important to you, the Archealogical one is a good choice, otherwise just skip it and walk around to find some nice places you wouldn't otherwise. <BR><BR>Eat somewhere where you see Greeks, not a bunch of tourists. And don't let anyone convince you to eat anywhere or see anything. Do what you feel is right!<BR><BR>K

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 02:55 PM
tania

The Daphne restaurant is superb. Not cheap...