Reload this Page >

Must Decide AMSTERDAM LODGING

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2002, 05:56 PM
bumper

For all around choice would you stay at the CANAL HOUSE OR THE PRINSEN HOTEL, both were recommended?

Old May 29th, 2002, 07:06 PM
Richard

consider Hotel Piet Hein...they have 2 separate hotels. I stayed int he Annex which was about 50 euros a night (no phone or television) but a great private bathroom and a comfortable bed. It is located across the street from Vondal Park (sp?). The main hotel, which I took a peek at the rooms were very nice. Of main importance is the staff! They are absolutely the greatest! They went out of their way to make sure I was comfortable at the hotel and in the neighborhood.

Old May 29th, 2002, 07:18 PM
Nicole

We stayed at the Canal House Hotel last August. I cannot compare it with The Prinsen because I am not familiar with that hotel, but I can highly recommend the Canal House (www.canalhouse.nl). <BR><BR>Our room was lovely, spacious and very clean - on the top floor with an original hoisting wheel and a great canal view. The rest of the hotel is decorated in antiques - very pretty. The breakfast was also very good. <BR><BR>The hotel is in a great location - charming quiet area, near restaurants (the Pancake House nearby was good) and shops, a few blocks from the Anne Frank House and Westerkirk.

Old May 30th, 2002, 04:10 AM
xxx

Is there a lift in the Canal House?

Old May 30th, 2002, 04:14 AM

which one is near your favorite coffeeshop? that would be my choice.

Old May 30th, 2002, 04:38 AM
Scott

No offense inteded, but we were quite disappointed by the Canal House, especially after all the recommendations on this board. Our room on the top floor with a canal view had a sour smell that was very irritating. I understand rooms in Amsterdam are small, but we could hardly move in ours. Our rooms in various Paris hotels for instance seemed like palaces in comparison. The staff was nice, but I found the processed cheese and other packaged food for breakfast very well below standards for most hotels in Europe. <BR><BR>The breakfast room was beautiful. The location was great, and the view was amazing, but I am confident you can do better for your money. I'll second the nearby Pancake House - excellent!<BR><BR>Scott

Old May 31st, 2002, 05:58 AM
Alice

I wanted to stay in the Prinsen Hotel in October 02, but they were full. We've stayed in same block at the AMS Terdam Hotel, which was available again. I really like the location - very convenient to trams, restaurants, cinema, museums, shopping and Vondelpark, but not near Dam Square, which was one more plus to me. Try the Prinsen; I also had Piet Hein on my list, someone else mentioned them. That one is on same 'side'of town just a couple more blocks out (but close to the museums area).

Old May 31st, 2002, 06:10 AM
Nicole

To answer xxx, yes there is a lift at the Canal House. <BR><BR>In response to Scott, like most hotels there are probably a variety of room sizes. Ours was spacious with a sitting area. We were also told the largest rooms overlooked the garden on the other side of the hotel. Sorry you did not have as good an experience as we did. But I still stand by my recommendation...I have been traveling in Europe for 13 years, usually staying at the 3-star level hotels, and the Canal House Hotel is one of my favorites due to our room's charm, size, view, and cleanliness.

Old May 31st, 2002, 09:10 AM
Jennifer

I'm not familiar with the Canal House, but I stayed at the Hotel Prinsenhof in March, just a couple of months ago.<BR><BR>Clean, spacious rooms and a huge breakfast! Literally, it's a few meters from a tram stop. Very close to restaurants, shops, etc.<BR><BR>Negatives: The very first ascending stairway is STEEP with no elevator. Not recommended for people with heavy and/or bulky luggage or for those who cannot handle stairs. There is a hoist, however, for suitcases, after you make it up the first flight of stairs.<BR><BR>A private bathroom was not available when we were there, but my two children and I never, ever had a wait for either the toilet or the shower.<BR><BR>On the morning we had to leave, we would leave earlier than breakfast was to be served, so they brought up a breakfast tray the night before -- very, very nice!<BR><BR>It seems to be a very popular hotel, however, so if you choose this one, I'd call as soon as possible ahead of time.<BR><BR>I'd gladly stay there again (and I would lighten my load....ahem....).<BR><BR>I don't wish to post them publicly, but I have some snapshots of the hotel. Write me at the above address, and I'll be glad to share them with you.<BR><BR>Jennifer