Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Amsterdam Hotel - Near Anne Franks House or Leidseplein?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2001, 07:55 AM
Bobby

My wife and I are going to Amsterdam on Thursday. I can stay near Anne Franks House on the Singel Canal or in Leidseplein. Does it matter?

Old May 19th, 2001, 08:31 AM
Bugsy

Leidesplein is a good central location with immediate access to the Van Gough, and Rijks Museum as well as Vondel Park. A great central location with easy tram access (or walking) to the Sngel Canal. On the other hand, the Singel Canal area may be more quiet. personally I'd stay near Leidesplein.

Old May 19th, 2001, 09:37 AM
Jim Rosenberg

Either area is a nice enough place to stay, but I would go with Bugsy's suggestion and stick with Leidesplein. You'll have more choices within easy walking distance and it is just a more "happening" place to be. Happy Trails!

Old May 20th, 2001, 09:47 AM
richardab

Check out my websight. It has some good hotel suggestion in the areas you listed. <BR> <BR>http://home.earthlink.net/~richardab/ <BR> <BR>I think either the area by the Anne Frank House is good but I perfer the Leideseplein since it is a very lively area. <BR> <BR>

Old May 20th, 2001, 09:50 AM
richardab

I forgot to say that the nicest hotel near the Anne Frank House is THE CANAL HOUSE. It is really quaint. If you are looking for value, try the OWL HOTEL or the WESTROPA. Both are near the Leiseplein and very well priced.

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 06:11 PM
xxx

Topping

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 01:44 PM
Gyorgy

Is the hotel near the Anne Frank house or on the Singel? The Anne Frank House is on Prinsengracht, which isn't that near the Singel.<BR><BR>Anyway, I would definitely go for a hotel either on the Singel OR on Prinsengracht. Leidseplein is interesting and lively, and most definitely worth visiting, but staying at a canalside hotel is a vastly superior Amsterdam experience. The views are great, for a start. I've experienced both locations; there's no comparison. Choose wisely, my friend!

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 02:41 PM
Elizabeth

I myself like canal-side hotels (and a canal-side room) enormously, a reason I go there is to wake up in one of those rooms and look out the window at water, boats, gridges, trees. I love the beauty and relative timelessness of the major canals.<BR><BR> And as others have pointed out, thew Leidseplen is pleasant too in a completely different way. <BR><BR> Is it the Estherea? It is lovely. <BR>

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 03:21 PM
limited experience but

The Leidseplein is a GREAT area. My favorite in Amsterdam (I was there for the first time this summer for 5-days solo). Leidseplein was my favorite neighborhood by far.

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 04:57 PM
gee

Anybody notice that the question was asked in May 0f 2001?