Amsterdam neighborhood advice

Old Oct 1st, 2003, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amsterdam neighborhood advice

We're 4 middle aged American women who will be visiting in April. We want to stay in the Canal district and love the convenience of being able to walk to museums, restaurants, etc. We're not big into night life...We have several choices for small hotels - 2 are on canals but further up toward the Central Station. Another is midway between the station and Leidseplein, and yet a 4th is further down, between Leidseplein and Amstel River. We're told the midway hotel is the best location. Any input/information is appreciated!
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 02:54 PM

Check out the Hotel Washington on Fodor's Rant and Raves section. It's a lovely hotel in a quiet residential section about 3 blocks from the museumplein. 2 blocks from a tram line and loads of restaurants. I don't think you would be disappointed. Be sure to go to the Keukenhof garden in April, it will take your breath away. Have a grant time.
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 03:03 PM

I'm always happier toward the Leidspleine or Museumpleine (which are only 3 or 4 blocks apart). The tram system makes it very easy to get around. Small hotels worth checking out are Hotel Fita (www.fita.nl)and Hotel Jan Luykenstraat.
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 03:10 PM

Was in Amsterdam in May and stayed 4 nights at the Canal House which is around the corner from the Anne Frank house. THere were severl wonderul restuarnts within easy walking distance and the tram ws a few blocks as well, as well as the river boats. We had a wonderful room that overlooked the canal. Canal House is on 148 Keizergracht e mail [email protected]. We love to walk so we walked just about everywhere except when it was pouring and then we took public transportation. Lucky you....
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 05:44 PM

What are the names of these hotels you are looking at?..I was just in Amsterdam last week for the 10th time and perhaps I might have stayed at or seen the location of the hotels you are looking at...
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 01:01 AM

I have been to Amsterdam several times & my home base is always the Canal House. Beautifully restored canal house. As a single woman traveling alone, everyone is wonderful to me & makes me feel at home in Amsterdam. I prefer a garden side room as it is quieter, but others prefer canal side to totally experience Amsterdam. Great location. I take the 10 min walk to the train station for exercise, but when there with my 85 yr old mom, we got a taxi for ~$5. They book up quickly-I make my reservation months in advance for April or when the tulips are in bloom. Also, another thing, April 30th is the Queen's birthday-the largest & best celebration in Europe. People come in from all over Europe. People are literally dancing in the streets at every street corner. There is literally no transportation that day as the taxis can't get thru the crowds. It can even get very difficult to walk. One year the trains shut down. My point is if you are coming from the airport that day, you will need to walk from the train station with your luggage thru the crowds to your hotel on the cobblestone streets. I saw some very jetlagged people get caught by this-mercifully their hotel was not too far from the train station. Getting to the train station & airport can be very difficult as well unless you leave very early. If the weather is bad that day, it can be much quieter. I would ck my dates very carefully to see if I would be there then. If one likes this type of thing, can be fun. My took my mom on the canal boat to watch the festivities from the water & we went up in Anne Frank's house. Some at our hotel left very early to go to Keukenhof that day to escape the crowds. By law, all festivities have to cease by 9pm & the next morning you wake up & everything is all cleaned up & back to normal! You will have a wonderful time whatever you choose!
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 01:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input...Dear Tracey B - that's my posting directly up above. We're considering Hotels Weichmann, Nes, Singel and Prisengracht....We know that Canal House is very recommended, but it is a little over our budget. Any info is appreciated.