Museum Pass Worth it for These?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If we want to visit in Novemher the Marmatton, the Gare D'Orsay, the Grand Palais, Petit Palais would a museum pass make sense or not? Any of them free on the weekends? Thank you!
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 05:44 PM

I believe that they are all covered on the Monuments & Museums card. Whether the card is worthwhile probably depends on how many days you plan to take to see these places. I worked out once, based on average prices, that you would need to see more than 2 of the nominated places in a given day to cover the financial cost. The cards are available for 1,3 and 5 days so financially it won't be a benefit unless you visit them all in the one day. Of course, the other advantage of the card is that you do not need to queue so there is a convenience factor beyond the straight financial aspect. Mind you of the named places, only the musée d'Orsay is likely to have any queue.
Old Nov 4th, 2005, 07:59 AM
twk

For me, the principal advantages of the Museum pass were:

1. Skipping lines at the main attractions during the summer tourist season -- not a problem you'll have to deal with.

2. Encouraged me to see things which I might not have had I been forced to pay separate admission. Things like climbing to the top of the Arc de Triomphe (not for the faint of heart, but unbelieveable view of the Champs Elysee), or popping into a minor museum for a 30 minute lookaround. This might be something that you would consider. Seeing two major museums in a day is a lot, but it's possible to see three or four things that are covered in the Museum Pass in the same day without killing yourself.
Old Nov 4th, 2005, 08:14 AM

I don't believe the Monet Museum is covered. But the lines at the Musee D'Orsay would make a one day pass worth the cost. But then in November I'm not sure how long they would be.
Old Nov 4th, 2005, 10:14 AM

I don't know of any museum that is free only on the weekends -- the ones that are are free anytime (those run by City of Paris such as Carnavalet). Some are free on the first Sunday of the month, but not every weekend.

I would not get a pass for those myself. I do not think a one day pass worth it for any museum, even the Orsay. I've gone there without one even in July, and the wait wasn't long if you know when to go. I think it's worse in midday. I only waited about 10-15 minutes by going when it first opens. One day museum passes are real expensive.
Old Nov 4th, 2005, 10:14 AM

oh, I don't think the Marmottan is covered, either.
Old Nov 4th, 2005, 10:40 AM

On my souveneer pass, the Marmatton and Grand Palais are not listed, but the Orsay and Petit Palais are included. When we visited two years ago, there was a special exhibit at the Grand Palais that was not included on the pass.

If you are the type of person who rushes into a museum, checks out the three most famous works, then leaves, I think the pass may or may not be a good deal, depending on how many museums you intend to pass through. On the other hand, if you like to spend more time, perhaps returning another day to re-see some things you liked, the pass is an excellent value. Not only can you bypass the lines, you can pass in and out freely, so you don't feel that you have to absorb the whole body of art in a single visit.

The Orsay is fairly large, and one could easily spend more than a day there. While the Marmatton is not on the pass, I think it is a must-see, not just for the Monet, but for some of the other works. If you get the pass, I think the Rodin is also on it, and many people really enjoy that. And everyone can find something they like in the Louvre. My wife and I liked to spend a half-day in the Louvre, then the other half of the day in the nearby Orsay, then do it again the next day.
Old Nov 4th, 2005, 11:25 AM

In money terms there won't be enough of a difference to worry about it - a few Euros this way or that way, about the worth of a glass of vin du pays...

But having the card will make you adventurous - you'll stick your beak into all kinds of museums on the list that comes with the card, just for a quick look, places that you'd otherwise hesitate to pay and enter. This leads to discoveries and treasured memories. That's why I recommend you get the card and go wild...

WK
Old Nov 4th, 2005, 11:54 AM

For that collection of museums, the pass wouldn't be worth it at all.
The only one covered that would have possibly a line, the Musee Orsay, can be done without much of a wait if you go at a good time.

As for venturing into some of the other included small museums and other venues, if they're not of interest now, I can't see why they would suddenly be of more interest just because you have a pass. There are just so many hours in the day, just so many things that can be seen on a short (?) trip.
Old Nov 4th, 2005, 11:57 AM

We were in Paris in October and visited the Marmottan Museum and it is not covered by the pass. We were disappointed in the Marmottan. Another museum not covered by the pass is the Andre-Jacquemart which is certainly worth a visit--and an excellent place to have lunch.
Old Nov 5th, 2005, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your advice. I think we shall skip the pass. Doesn't seem worth it for this trip.
--a
Old Nov 5th, 2005, 11:50 AM
amelia

Winnie: As a family group who loves art, we feel the museum pass is a superb value because of its wonderful flexibility. However, if you only want to see the Musee D'Orsay covered by the pass, I don't think it's worth it to you.

PS. Like Nini, we are not fans of the Marmatton (there are better Monets in US) and we are BIG fans of the Andre-Jacquemart.

Old Nov 5th, 2005, 12:31 PM

Rick Steves' book PARIS has very detailed info on all museums, which are covered by the pass, and what days/times they are free or discounted.
Check it out, but the consensus is that it's worth it to buy the pass; it even saves waiting in lines. Not worth it for children, though, who are free in many museums.