Museum pass & soda/tea

Sep 6th, 2003, 04:05 PM
Lil
Original Poster

Museum pass & soda/tea

We leave on our trip to Paris in two months and I have a couple of questions.

Do I only need to buy only one museum pass (for myself) as my daughter is a student? My understanding is that all students, including those outside of France, are admitted free to all museums with school i.d. I?ve read this in a few places but no one I know has ever used this ?benefit.?

We do not drink any alcohol or coffee in our house. Is water the only option as a beverage when dining out in the evening? While we drink soda here like there is no tomorrow, I?m not sure that would be appropriate when ordering at a nicer restaurant. I do not wish to insult the chef by ordering a coke lite with my meal instead of wine. I?m open for suggestions.
Sep 6th, 2003, 04:19 PM

I would honestly think you'd be just fine ordering a soda with your evening meal, in Paris.
Sep 6th, 2003, 04:19 PM

Lil,
I'm not sure about the student pass but I'm sure a search here in Fodor's can give you an answer.

While I enjoy coffee and alcohol, there would be no problem at all if you order soda in a resturant. In lieu of coffee order "un chocolat". It's a thick, creamy hot chocolate, yummy!

Enjoy your trip!
Sep 6th, 2003, 04:23 PM

I do not drink many carbonated beverages, but after many years and many trips to France I've learned one thing. If you order Coke with a meal, they will probably think you're French. I've seen more French order Coke than Americans.
Sep 6th, 2003, 04:43 PM
vivaldi

For the past two years, I've bought the pass and my daughter got in free or at a reduced rates as a student. At half the places they never even asked to see her college ID. She also was allowed to bypass the ticket line and go in with me when I showed my pass.

Sep 6th, 2003, 06:38 PM

I've never heard of any museum in Paris that lets students in free, although there might be an occasional one. Some do have a reduced rate for students (as long as they are 26 or less, I think), but not free. I think you may be confusing that with the fact that a lot of museums let anyone in free under a certain age, often 18. It's not because they are a student, but because of age, so any ID required would be for age. Your museum pass doesn't cover anyone but yourself. If the museum lets someone in free, and your daughter is under that age limit, she can usually go in with you without standing in the regular line. If your daughter is a student but older than 18, she won't get in free.
Sep 6th, 2003, 07:17 PM
Lil
Original Poster

Thanks for the info on the museums and beverage!

I do know the Louvre will admit anyone under 18 and students of art, archaeology and architecture for free. I'm wondering about le musée d'Orsay and Arc de Triumph. Most museums have free admission for anyone under 18 but I'm not certain about these two. I would hate to only purchase one pass and then find out that I have to stand in line to get a second one for her.

I have been doing an unsuccessful goolge search on the above information. For some reason the official site for musée d'Orsay is not responding and I'm not having much luck on the Arc de Triumph admission.
Sep 7th, 2003, 01:06 AM

If you do not wish to drink alcoholic beverages with your meal, and prefer soda, perhaps ask for a sparkling mineral water with your meal, i.e. do not say soda, perhaps a San Pellegrino, or if you prefer still Panna, or if they have it Voss which is perfect with fine food.

If you want a diet Coca-Cola you're the customer, go ahead and order it!

Enjoy your trip, don't be embarassed when you're the one paying - have whatever you want.
Sep 7th, 2003, 03:30 AM

And be ready for sticker shock for the Coke. It will probably cost more than a glass of wine.
Sep 7th, 2003, 06:33 AM
ira

Do they still have Perrier sparkling water in Paris?
Sep 7th, 2003, 10:14 AM

Most museums in Paris are free for persons under 18 years of age. If the adult has a museum pass, the kid goes with them in the pass line, avoiding the general entrance.
Sep 7th, 2003, 03:52 PM
amelia

Listen to Laurelt...your duaghter will go through with you at most Paris musees. There's only one glitch--at a couple of museums, they will ask you to go to the register to get a "free" pass for her. I have had several people try to explain this extra red tape to me, but I sure can't understand it. But hey, I love the Paris museum pass, so I'm willing to accept all rules, logical or not.

As to the diet cokes, my kids ordered them quite acceptedly even at Michelin two stars. Enjoy.

Sep 8th, 2003, 02:48 AM

It's been explained to me that the museums who let people in for free but still require a 'registration' are doing that to keep track of attendance and demographics. It helps them plan future exhibits and get more funding if they need it, for various other things such as expansion, extra restrooms, etc.