Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

museum pass [again] quick question, can I puchase at St Germain metro?

Old Feb 13th, 2005, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be taking the rer from CDG. I know I can purchase a museum pass at Chatelet metro, but the lines were long, so I was wondering if St Germain metro is a place I can buy my museum pass. Thank you, PJ
Old Feb 13th, 2005, 01:47 PM

I am fairly certain you can get a Musee et Monuments pass from any metro station, but someone else here may wish to verify that.
Old Feb 13th, 2005, 02:40 PM

Any Metro or RER station will sell you a museum pass if you want one although I don't know why anyone would want one. Check the prices for the museums you want to visit against the price of a pass. Keep in mind the free Sundays at the Louvre, the reduced price after 5 pm at the Musee D'Orsay (it is now open until 10 pm some nights) etc.
Unless you want to spend an extremely large amount of time in museums it really is not a good deal. Also keep in mind that many, many popular museums are not even covered by the pass and some museums are closed for currently for extensive repairs.

Larry J
Old Feb 13th, 2005, 02:57 PM

sorry larry but i cant help but disagree.i think it is a good deal for the attractions of paris. with my 3 day pass i saw versailles,arc de triomphe,invalides,pantheon,st chapelle,notre dame towers, concergerie,orsay,louvre (went twice).
the entrance fees of the above totalled €63 (not incl second trip to louvre).the card costed €36. another benefit was that i didnt need to queue to buy tickets at versailles.

i had to pay to see the catacombs & eiffel tower.this i had read on the RATP website beforehand.

you can get the pass from any metro station.
Old Feb 13th, 2005, 06:58 PM

I don't think it's strictly any of them -- the city itself says something about it being "major" metro stations. And sometimes they can be out of them. I would think they might not have them at ones that were small and only the stop for one line, perhaps (those not being major). That would include St-Germain, though. If they don't, just go to another one that is bigger -- they should have them at Odeon or Sevres-Babylone as those have two lines in them. I have bought them at stations with two lines crossing.
Old Feb 13th, 2005, 07:04 PM

Buy les Cartes Musées at CDG when you are getting your RER tickets.
Old Feb 13th, 2005, 07:54 PM

To: Chevy Chasen

Obviously you enjoy spending a lot of time in museums in which case it is worth the price for a pass as I stated in my original post. If I spent that much time in museums in just 3 days I would need a straight jacket and some medication.

If you're happy; that's all that matters.

Larry J
Old Feb 13th, 2005, 08:49 PM
Original Poster

thanks Robespierre, that would make the most sense! I forgot they were sold at the airport!
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 02:22 AM

Skipping the line, even if you only visit one museum, is worth the full price of the ticket, IMHO.
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 12:57 PM

actually larry, i recommended the card just as much for the attractions....from my list only invalides, louvre & orsay count as museums. the rest are attactions.
versailles,arc de triomphe,st chapelle,notre dame towers etc are beautiful Paris attractions...spread them over a five day (€54) carte musee if you wish. two visits to the louvre on different days, each less than an hour in duration.you can afford to do that with a cartee musee. cant recommend them enough.
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 01:03 PM

And in the winter there is the added benefit of dropping in to get out of the cold!
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 01:28 PM

This is what I did last month:

www.museums-of-paris.com has brief, useful info on each museum. You can order the pass on-line and it will be delivered to your hotel.

I am not saying this is preferable to everyone as the pass is sold in many places, but I liked having it waiting for us at the hotel.
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 04:49 PM

Note that www.museums-of-paris.com (dot-con is more like it) marks up the Carte Musée by the following amounts:

1-day €18 €25
3-day €36 €44
7-day €54 €62

You can buy them in any Métro station for the blue prices, but if you thiink having it delivered to your hotel is worth €7-8 (per person), go nuts.