Champagne Country.

Search

Champagne Country.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2005, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Champagne Country.

As a day trip from Paris this May, I want to go to Reims just to look around and maybe buy a bottle or two of good champagne if at all possible with our budget? Do you have any suggestions about a vineyard to visit?
We are not real drinkers and prefer sweet over dry champagne.
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 07:56 AM

"good" Champagne will not be sweet--it will be "brut," meaning dry. i don't know what you will find in the way of sweet Champagne in france, but germany has a brand called henckel trocken that is a sweet sparkling dessert wine.
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

The only wine I buy is, Fetzer gewurtraminer or Korbel Brut rose Champagne and they are both kinda sweet,
thats why I was asking about GOOD french champagne, I have no clue about them.
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 08:16 AM

Last spring, I took my sister to Paris for her birthday. Since she is a drinker, we spent one day in Epernay, a small city about 1 hour outside of Paris.

We went to Moet & Chandon. You can go on a tour of their facilities where they house the different Champagnes, and then have a tasting at the end. Plus, of course a stop at their shop.

From Moet, I remember reading about many other companies nearby, but from what I remember from the tour, they said the actual vineyards are far outside of the city.
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 08:19 AM

You won't be visiting the 'vineyards' in champagne, but the champagne houses. Each one that is open to the public has a tour that tells you about the making of the champagne, and takes you into the cellars. I find them interesting, but DH and I are into champagne. Afterwards, you participate in a tasting. I always enjoyed the Pommery tour, as I thought it was more authentic, not a Disneyfied version. In addition to Pommery, open to the public are Taittinger, Veuve Clicquoe, Piper Heidsick, and Krug.
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 08:19 AM

Oh yeah, they all have gift shops at which you can buy their champagne, as well as other 'gift' items.
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 08:29 AM

We did a day trip from Paris to Reims.
Took train from Gare de L'Est to Reims, about 1 1/2 hrs. There are many trains to/from Paris. Web site:
http://www.voyages-sncf.com/dynamic/...geUK&WB=HP

Nice countryside once you get into Champagne district. From the train station walked up to City Hall and Cathedral. Some nice old roman ruins on the way. Cathedral is well worth a visit, look for the smiling angel!. Tourist bureau is right next to it. Across the street from it is a store selling many brands of champagne and wine. From what I could tell, good prices. We then had lunch on a nice pedestrian-only street and walked to the Taitinger cellars. Walk was about 15 minutes. The cellars are housed in chalk, underneath the ruins of 17th century abbey (nothing left above ground). Very interesting tour(only one I've ever done)in English. We did not book anything,just showed up. Some good samples at the end (two glasses each) of their top of the line brand. I bought three bottles at their store. Took cab back to railway station. A nice day trip
Mike
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

Thank You all for your replys.
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 04:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
sweetest of champagne will be labeled Demi-Sec.
Champagneis the only region in which the word "sec"(dry) has that meaning.
Stay away from the driest, Brut, Extra Dry.