museum and cameras

Search

museum and cameras

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31st, 2007, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
museum and cameras

Would like to know from those who've been to any of madrid's famous museums whether one can take a camera inside?

I know that photography inside is probably prohibited but if one was doing the touristy thing outside....will they let a camera in as long as you dont try to use it?

Old Oct 31st, 2007, 01:28 PM

Had no trouble taking my big, bulking digital SLR (around my neck) into the Accademia in Florence, where no pictures are allowed. (Security guards were distracted, several people took flash pictures of David.) Some museums allow you to take pictures without a flash. Most certainly they'd have somewhere to leave your camera if you aren't allowed to take it in, but I'll bet you'll have no trouble taking one in.
Old Oct 31st, 2007, 01:41 PM

I've taken non-flash photos with my digital inside the Prado. For the Reina Sophia, I think photos were not permitted at all because I don't find any in my computer, and I would surely have snapped a distance shot of Guernica if I were allowed to.
Old Oct 31st, 2007, 01:53 PM

a security guard stopped us from taking any kind of photos, even without flash. never had an experience where you could not take your camera in a museum. not anywhere in europe.
Old Oct 31st, 2007, 01:54 PM

Oops. This was at the Prado.
Old Oct 31st, 2007, 02:00 PM

I was in the Prado in 2004 and non-flash photos were allowed. However, who knows about 2007?

It is more restrictive now than when I first went to Europe in 1998. Then, the Academia allowed it. The Louvre allowed photos of everything until recently.

I have found that most museums have a place where you can check cameras and other bags.
Old Oct 31st, 2007, 02:59 PM

Not a famous Museum, but the Palacio Réal in Madrid allowed us to Videotape our tour.

Last time I visited, Cameras were prohibited at Museo del Prado. I don't think I brought a camera so I couldn't say whether Cameras had to be checked at entry.
Old Oct 31st, 2007, 05:22 PM

I've been to several museums in various parts of europe - including Madrid where you couldn't take a camera - or even you purse into the museum. Only your wallet or something you could put in a pocket.

I remember distinctly because in a small Madrid Museum where I had to check my camera the person returning it and my purse to me dropped the camera on the floor - breaking the lens. Luckily there were several other people getting their stuff at the same time - since the checker claimed she didn't drop it. We had to make a fuss to get to the Museum Director to convince them to give me the money to buy another lens (it was clearly cracked in half).
Old Nov 1st, 2007, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

thank you all for the prompt reply..I'm going to risk my canon and see what happens.

If I have nytraveler's luck it's going to be easy to convince my wife of the need for an upgrade!