Munich to Rothenberg .... OR

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2005, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Munich to Rothenberg .... OR

Frankfurt to Rothenberg?

Hi,

I'm wondering if it would be better to fly into Munich and drive to Rothenberg or fly into Frankfurt and drive to Rothenberg? Or would it be easier to decide from which airport we get the best airfare to?

We are looking to travel mid June.

We'd like to hit a few towns on the Romantic road, but not necessarily all of them ... and from there drive to Fussen.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 01:50 PM

The drive is probably about the same, 2 - 2 1/2 hrs. or so, from either airport, if you take the autobahn.

Coming from Munich, you can take the Romantic Road most of the way, which will take at least an hour longer, but is a much more scenic and pleasant drive, as long as time isn't the only consideration.
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 01:53 PM

The drive from Frankfurt airport to Rothenburg is very easy..less than 2 hours and autobahn all the way.

I have never done Munich to Rothenburg, but it probably would not be much different. I do not have a map handy. I would go for the best airfare.

We usually stay in Garmisch when visiting Neuschwanstein. The drive over is beautiful and we enjoy the Garmisch area. You can do round trip Garmisch to Reutte to Fussen and then head back by going north to Wies church, then Oberammergau and Ettal Abbey and into Garmisch. Sounds like a lot, but can be done without too much hassle.
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 02:35 PM

Definitely take the best airfare and/or scheduling for flights. Drive time between the two is insignificant...but routing is better from Munich as far as scenery. Frankfurt is all autobahn and not very interesting, though quick!
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 02:39 PM

When you get to Fussen we like the Gasthaus Von Schluxen, a little farm gasthaus in Unter Pinswang just on the Austrian side of the border.
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the information. I would prefer to fly into Munich .. but with airfare I guess I'll wait and see.