Munich to Berlin

Search

Munich to Berlin

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2003, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Munich to Berlin

Our plan for one leg of our trip is to travel from Munich to Berlin by train. From Berlin we will be going to Rhine/Mosel area, again by train. <BR> I was looking up train schedules and it seems the train to Berlin from Munich goes close to Frankfurt. I thought from info I have from R. Steves book it is a fairly direct route to Berlin from Munich-but I am not finding that on the train schedule. <BR> Should we go Munich to Rhine/Mosel then to Berlin from there. We will be returning to Frankfurt for our return home.
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 08:36 AM

Last summer we boarded train in Muchich and went directly to Berlin. It seemed to me that there were many scheduled that day. I recall leaving around 13:00?<BR>Have you purchased railpass or just going to buy as you go?
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

We will be using a railpass. Do you remember how long the trip was to Berlin?
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 09:22 AM

I checked the www.bahn.de site briefly. Munich to Berlin is 8 to 10.5 hrs, depending on the train. I didn't notice any that went near Frankfurt.<BR><BR>If you haven't used the German rail site yet, click on TIMETABLES on the left side of the page for English.
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 09:26 AM
Bootman4U

There are at least two routes. You do not say what day of the week you will be traveling but there are frequent trains from Munich to Berlin...both to the &quot;east&quot; station and to the Zoo station. Some trains to Ostbahnhof (&quot;east&quot do not require a change and run through Augsburg and Leipzig..that trip takes about 6 hrs 45 minutes.<BR>Trains going to Zoo sometimes require a change in Gottingen and due to the geographic routing this trip even with the change only takes about 6 hours and 30 minutes.<BR><BR>Both of these routes use ICE trains and if you use them even with a pass you might consider getting a seat reservation in advance although you do not HAVE to do so.<BR>In some ways you may be re-tracing your steps by going to Berlin first and then back to the Rhine but you will be going out of your way if you go over to the Rhine from Munich and then back to Berlin.<BR><BR>I suggest you try using the english version of the germanRail timetable...easy to use and the URL is<BR><BR>http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de when you get there click on the english tab and it will convert to English. This online timetable can be used to check ANY rail route in ALL of the European countries.<BR><BR>Hope this helps.

Old Apr 10th, 2003, 09:45 AM

I wondered why I was coming up with a much longer trip, so went back to check. A daytime trip is indeed more like the times Bootman4U lists.<BR><BR>With a pass, I like to print out a range of trains, so that we can chose the best time on the day.