Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

MUCH cheaper flights within Spain on Iberia!

Mar 26th, 2003, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

I posted this info on a thread about trains, but wanted to give it its own heading so those considering flights within Spain would be aware of it.

I'm not sure if it's good for all dates, but Iberia has DRASTICALLY reduced its rates for travel within Spain.

A flight directly from Granada to Barcelona had been pprox. 175-200E when last I checked in early Feb. (I'd actually considered the bus to Malaga and flying from there on Spanair.)

Last night I booked a one-way ticket on iberia.com for my date in May for 33.45E, including taxes! I apparently get another 4E knocked off that price for doing it on-line and getting an e-ticket (8E for roundtrips.)

Details re the new pricing here: http://www.iberia.com/OneToOne/gateway_es.jsp
Mar 27th, 2003, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Topping....
Mar 29th, 2003, 01:06 AM

i would like to add that we just got back having taken 2 domestic as well as the roundtrip with iberia (at an extremely good rate as well thru their web site)

we never experienced a single problem and thought that the service was perfectly fine
Mar 30th, 2003, 01:41 PM

Topping for Julie
Apr 8th, 2003, 11:06 AM

Thanks.
I just checked a one-way ticket from Madrid to Seville in May and it is cheaper than using Expedia or Cheaptickets. Any problems booking online with getting an e-ticket as I am from the US? Any problems checking in at the airport? Thanks, I have never bought a airline ticket directly from an international airline>
Apr 8th, 2003, 11:24 AM

Iberia is getting it's butt kicked by a lot of the smaller econo airlines. I've been watching prices and any inter-Europe travel can be had at rock bottom prices. Routes are all highly competitive in terms of pricing. Its the getting over there that requires the wad of cash.
Apr 8th, 2003, 12:00 PM

I just spoke to an Iberia agent. She said a US resident cannot buy a ticket online for travel within Spain, only if you are coming to/from the US. Is this true?
Apr 9th, 2003, 12:25 PM

topping!
Apr 9th, 2003, 12:32 PM

Another airline which used to be cheap is Air Europa. We flew them within Spain from Madrid to Barcelona for about 80E one way. We bought the tickets in US through a travel agent.
Apr 9th, 2003, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

ac2003 -

I believe the agent you spoke to is mistaken about the fact that US residents cannot buy a ticket online for travel within Spain. On a factual basis, she is incorrect, because I am a US resident, and I did exactly that, paying with my US bank-issued credit card. I even listed my US passport as the identification I will provide at check in! I did all of this via the English language version of the website, and requested that the miles be credited to my American Airlines account.

Nowhere in the terms and conditions do I see any limitations re national origin of the person purchasing the ticket. http://www.iberia.com/OneToOne/gateway_es.jsp (also click on the link at the bottom of the page re online reservations/purchases).

They will not *deliver* a (paper) ticket outside of Spain, thus my choice of the "cyberticket". I received confirmation via e-mail almost instantaneously, and the e-ticket shortly thereafter.

Apr 9th, 2003, 01:39 PM

Thank you Lesli! I just purchased my one way ticket from Madrid to Seville online for about 71E. I had some doubts about the first agent I spoke with, so I called Iberia back twice and spoke to 2 other agents and they said it was no problem as long as I chose cyber ticketing.
Apr 9th, 2003, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

ac2003 -

Glad it worked out for you! Just goes to show that if you don't like the first answer you get, it never hurts to call back and see what somebody else says.

This applies to ALL airlines, not just Iberia....
Apr 9th, 2003, 01:49 PM
RAR

Sure the prices are great, if you can find tickets availible. I haven't
Apr 10th, 2003, 10:24 AM

SpanAir is also a very good choice within Spain for Travel and they a few euros cheaper than Iberia.