Munich - sightseeing suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2004, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family and I will be in Munich for a week in August (an apt in Schwabing). Anyone with suggestions on sightseeing / things to do? The things we alreadly plan to see include Konigstrasse, the Victualienmarkt, Hofbrauhaus, Schloss Nymphenburg, English Garden, Sommerfest at Olympiapark, and we've already been to the Residenz and Dachau. We're really interested in picturesque neighborhoods with narrow streets and unusual shops. Also, we don't know if there are any special things to do or see in the English Garden. Any suggestions?
Old May 31st, 2004, 06:08 AM
JN

We enjoyed the Asam Kirche--an incredibly ornate Rococco style church. It's on Sendlingerstrasse inside the altstadt and has lots of shopping in the area. Also, the street houses the Hacher Haus restaurant, connected with the Hacher-Pshorr brewery--a great/atmospheric dining room, servers in dirndls and great food/beer.

We also took in a opera concert in Gasteig at the Muenchener Philharmonie--very pretty area near the Deutches Museum and enjoyable concert.

Finally, we like Impressionist art and enjoyed the Neue Pinakotek art museum, which has a nice collection.
Old May 31st, 2004, 07:43 AM

My husband says that the science museum is the best he's ever visited. The zoo is quite good too.
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 07:08 AM

The Deutsches Museum is the largest technological museum in the world, and has lots of neat stuff, like a coal mine, and lots of planes, ships, etc. It has an aviation dependency in Oberschleissheim, where there are tons more aircraft. There is also a nice castle in there, which you can visit.

Consider also a visit to Andechs monastery, on Lake Ammer (Ammersee). It's a nice hike from the train station (end point of the S-Bahn), and they have a large brewery/beergarden where you can relax & take in the atmosphere.
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 07:09 AM

OK, the castle in town, not in the musem part.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 12:51 AM
Peep

Probably the most interesting and oldest part of town is all around Marienplatz.

The English garden is really just a big park with streams running through it. There's a beer garden that's really popular on nice days and there's a spot on the south side of the park where people actually SURF on a tiny bit of the river.

We took an interesting tour called the 3rd Reich tour. I think we booked it at EurAide, a little tourist info place by track 11 in Haubtbahnhof. They take you around and show you where Hitler did this and that.

Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 01:08 AM

Schwabing is the neighborhood that fits your description best. Great shops on Turkenstraße, Amalienstraße and Barerstraße.

For the best pizzas in the city, eat at Bei Mario--located at Adalberstraße.

Just west of Schwabing-There's great Italian food to be had at trattoria La Stella on Hohenstaufenstrasse, just south of Elizabeth platz (where there is a mini-Viktualienmarkt (cheaper) on Saturday mornings).

The 'Georgetown' of Munich is the Bogenhausen neighborhood - home to many celebs, including Boris Becker. Very green and residential, with gorgeous old homes.

Lehel is an 'old money' neighborhood just out of the city center. It has some shops, but not nearly as many as schwabing (I lived there last year). Good eats in Lehel are Tatenbach (more basic) and Liebighof (super popular with the locals).

The main things people do in the English Garden are 1)drink beer at the beer gardens, 2) sunbathe (often in the buff), 3) play soccer and 4) surf (be sure not to miss this-it's near the Haus der Kunst by the Prinzregetenstraße entrance to the garden in Lehel.

With a whole week in Munich, you should give some thought to taking the "BOB train" (Bayern Oberland Bahn) to Tegernsee for a bit of a hike in the hills or around lake Tegernsee. This is one of the most scenic areas in Bavaria, IMO.

Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 03:03 AM
Peep

Riffic, you must live around here, eh? The last time we ate at Bei Mario we were really disappointed.

Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 07:32 AM

peep, Yeah I live in Solln.

you from Munich?

Is it humanely possible to be disappointed with Bei Mario ;-)

Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 09:39 AM

riffic: Any other restaurant suggestions?
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 10:51 AM

One of the highlights of my first trip to Munich was the ZAM museum, which is actually a collection of several decidely unique museums--the Easter Bunny Museum, The Pedal Car Museum, and the Chamber Pot Museum (and I think they've added more, like the scent bottle museum). The Easter Bunny museum was surprisingly interesting and some of those early Easter bunnies looked more intimidating than cuddly.
When we were there, we had the whole place to ourselves. In fact, the person working the admission desk had gone shopping and simply left the museum open to anyone who wanted to wander in with a note at her desk saying she'd be back sometime before closing. We could have walked off with the exhibits...but I don't think they operate that way anymore. Anyway, it was a lot of fun and certainly different.
http://www.osterhasen-museum.de/english/e_osterhase.htm
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 12:54 PM

I second the recommendation of the Liebighof for a local dining experience. We had the pleasure of taking a couple of meals there in June 2002.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 11:09 PM

I'm doing a big thing here and revealing my wife's and my favorite restaurant in Munich.

Don't be upset with me, but it's Italian. (I still stick by my statement that the best German food is Italian!). We often travel to italy from Munich and, call me biased, but it really is tough to get better food in Italy than at this restaurant. Simply put, the food is fresh and fabulous, and often innovative.

The Restaurant is Rossini. The address is Schäftlarnstraße 166. Telephone: +49(0)89/72 312 50. About 100 Meters from the Thalkirchen U-bahn stop on the U-3. This is also near the zoo.

From the outside, this restaurant is unassuming. We decided to give it a try one evening, because we'd drive by it often. It is run by brothers. One is a manager type, one is the waiter and the other is the cook.

We eat here about once per week and ALWAYS order the 'Rossini Menu.' For 38.50 Euro, you get an aperitif of choice, house starter (always bruchetta), starter, pasta course, main course (fish or meat), and a dessert (usually homemade mouses or parfait). Once, they offered us half portions of both main courses, and we've been doing that ever since.

So with food, water, house wine, tip and complimentary grappa, we rarely spend more than 80 Euro for 2 people.

Go and reward your tastebuds!
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 11:11 PM

Important Typo in the previous reply. The Rossini Menu costs only 28.50 Euro p/p!
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 11:18 PM
Peep

Hey Riffic! We live by Ostbahnhof. We're not from here but after 6 years, it's starting to feel that way! How long have you lived here and what brought you here?

We'll have to try your fave restaurant!

Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 01:12 AM

smetz,
If you like beer gardens, and who shouldn't, recommend a great book, "The Beer Drinker's Guide to Munich." This book will provide ALL the beer gardens, supporting information, and quite a bit of information regarding the city and culture. Particularly recommend Hirschgarten (Munich's largest - with a petting zoo) and Waldwirtschaft Großhesselohe (great jazz band usually playing and has a playground for kids). Wonderful Web site for Munich is: http://www.expats-in-bavaria.de/citi...ich/?page=m901

-Jonathan
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 02:31 AM

Following up on Jonathan's note, the Waldwirtschaft is regarded by many Münchners as the best beer garden in Munich. It's definitely my favorite.

If you feel like renting bikes, it's actually quite an easy bike ride from the city center. You just pedal south along the Isar bike path about 30 minutes or so. The last five minutes are, however, a bit steep--as you trek from the west bank of the Isar up a big hill. But a nice liter of beer awaits you! "WaWi", as the locals call it, is also known for its excellent Obazda (pronounced OH-bahts-da), a bread/pretzel spread made primarily from the french camembert cheese.

Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 03:09 AM
Original Poster

Thank you one and all for the information. I know we'll have a fabulous time in Munich checking many of these great recommendations out!
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 03:15 AM
Original Poster

Riffic:

Is the Elizabethmarkt only open on Saturday? We'll be arriving on Tuesday, and I wanted to go to a market the next morning to pick up a few things like produce, bread, cheese, meats etc. for the apt. Also maybe some beer and wine. As I said we'll be staying in Scwabing. Any recommendations on places to go for that, or should we just wander around and look for the right stores?
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 03:50 AM

smetz, you're in lcuk... just learned that Elisabethmarkt is open Mon-Sat.

this from muenchen.de......

Named after the Bavarian princess Elisabeth who became empress of Austria, this market is a quaint and relaxed Schwabing version of the Viktualienmarkt. Originally this market, founded in 1880, was located at Maffeianger, but had to be moved due to planned road works. Thus the market on Elisabethplatz was founded on October 1, 1903.

Up until the end of WWII the market consisted of a market hall, a few permanent stalls and day stalls which the magistrate either auctioned or raffled every five years. The market hall was heavily bombed during the war and traders and city magistrates had to improvise to keep the market going. When the market was rebuilt after the war, the market hall was replaced by pavilions, which are still the main trait of this market.

The pavilion facing Nordendstraße, called Milchhäusl or milk hut, dates back to the late 19th century. Carl Brendel, a physician and militant teetotaller, initiated the construction of a stall that sold milk from 5 o'clock in the morning. He was concerned about the health of the population and had set himself the task to "keep the poison of the people, namely alcohol, in check". If he knew that a small restaurant and beer garden is located there now, he would probably turn in his grave; but beer is not alcohol but a basic part of nutrition in Bavaria.

Nowadays the range of products at Elisabethmarkt is very similar to that of Viktualienmarkt. Cheese, meat, fowl, wine, herbs, bread, delicatessen, fish, fruit, vegetables, flowers and organic products, and even home-made beer are offered at the 24 stalls between Arcisstraße, Elisabethstraße and Nordendstraße.

Opening hours
During the following hours all stalls are open; individual opening hours depend on each stall.
Monday to Friday 10am - 6pm
Saturday 10am - 3pm

Public transport
U2 exit Josephsplatz
Tram 27 exit Elisabethplatz