Search

Munich, Salzburg, Bavaria

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26th, 2013, 08:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Munich, Salzburg, Bavaria

Hi All,

My Wedding date is fianlized on Feb 1st 2014 and am planning a honeymoon to Dusseldorf, Austria & Switzerland. I have my sister too who lives in Dusseldorf, Germany and i plan to visit her too during my Honey Moon visit.

My Tentative plan is as follows :

4th Feb - Arrive in Dusseldorf and leave for Salzburg on 5th Feb.

6th - 10th Feb - See around Salzburg, Munich & other Bavarian towns.

11th - Leave back for Dusseldorf as from there we move to Switzerland with my sisters family.

I would want the following advices :

1) Is it fine that i make base at Salzburg and also do DAY tours to Munich or Should i also make base at Munich for 2 days. (Its my honeymoon so dont want to shift to too many bases)

2) If you could suggest 'Not to Miss' places in Munich and Salzburg and other Bavarian towns

4) Good and decent place to stay. We have an average budget (Not to high/ Not to low either)

We are foodies and would like to explore the local culture and cuisine...Would be really thankful if you could suggest some itinerary/ must places to see in this limited time we have etc.. .

Thanks,

Nitish
Old Dec 26th, 2013, 09:59 PM

I think if you are only in that area for 6 days you should really just limit yourself to 2 cities max. Therefore, perhaps 3 days in Salzburg (and surrounding area) and 3 days in Munich, or 2 days in Salzburg and 4 days in Munich.
Old Dec 26th, 2013, 10:47 PM

In February the weather is chilly and you can walk or stay outdoor only for limited time. Munich is an easy daytrip from Salzburg (and vv.) but Munich is an huge city, its sights are scattered around and in a single day you can only see a few things. If you are fine with just a glimpse then do the day trip; if you want to have a better look then divide your time between the two towns. IMHO even two towns in five days is too much on an honeymoon.

Hotels in towns just out of Salzburg like Anif and Wals usually offer very good value for money, but a car would be needed if you stay out of the city center.
Old Dec 27th, 2013, 04:06 AM

In Salzburg we have stayed at the Blaue Gans (Blue Goose) right on the main street--Getriedegasse and at the Goldener Ente (Gold duck) just off Getriedegasse. The former is a bit more modern, the latter more typically Bavarian/Austrian. I expect you can find pictures and prices for both on Booking.com. We enjoyed them both.
Old Dec 27th, 2013, 05:09 AM

It's hard to reco lodging without a specific amount in euros - or francs for switz.

You will be traveling through the Alps so make sure you are prepared for snow and cold weather (may not be too bad or can be very cold and a lot of snow even in the valleys). Talk to your sister for advice on proper coats, hats, scarves, gloves, snow boots and warm sweaters/trousers.
Old Dec 27th, 2013, 11:25 PM
Original Poster

Thank You nytraveller, Julie, asps and cometstar for your help and feedback.

- My Budget for hotels is about 70 Euros per day
- I was thinking of 3 days in Salzburg and 2 days in Munich...Should i do it the other way based on the feedback above ? that is 3 Days Munich and 2 days salzburg ?? Pls help.
- Yes...am carrying lot of wollen clothes....
- In Switzerland, my sisterr has booked a chalet for us in Interlaken.
Old Dec 28th, 2013, 05:08 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Hi,

With a limit of 70 Euro per night for lodging, look at B&B's, Pensions, etc. near the old town of Salzburg.

I've seen this one recommended often:

www.ammoos.at

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...rian_Alps.html

Paul