Search

Munich/Salzburg

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2008, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Munich/Salzburg

Flying into Munich and going via train to Salzburg.

Can anyone suggest the best/cheapest place to purchase our tickets?
Airport or Munich Main Station?

Thank you
Old May 16th, 2008, 12:30 PM

At the airport. Get a Bayern Ticket from one of the machines, or for a surcharge (€3, I think) from a real person.

For €27 up to 5 people travel together with the suburban train (S-Bahn) from Munich Airport with any S8 train to Munich East, and change there to the regional trains to Salzburg. The Bayern ticket covers the whole trip.

If you are traveling on your own, a Single Bayern ticket (i.e. for one person only) for €19 is all you need.
Old May 16th, 2008, 12:34 PM

it doesnt matter where you buy the tickets, i.e. Airport or Main Station. The price will remain the same.
Old May 16th, 2008, 01:18 PM

Sorry, maybe I misunderstood the OP's question. I thought he/she wanted to go immediately from the airport to Salzburg. If not, it would not matter.
Old May 17th, 2008, 05:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Cowboy!!
That answers my question!!
Old May 17th, 2008, 06:02 AM

One aspect of the Bayern Ticket that might be valuable is the restrictions on its use. One must travel on regional trains and, during the work week, the ticket is not valid until 9 am. The regional train restriction rules out trains with the Euro City (EC) and the Inter City (IC, ICE) designations.

On the "up to 5 people", the German term is bis zu and that means up to and including 5 people.

A large family group can travel on one ticket. A Bavarian friend of mine told me that the concept is fairly fuzzy. If two grandparents got on with 10 grandchildren (all under 15), some of whom had different last names, and wanted to travel under 1 ticket, would there be any questions?

He did not know.

If you read the German text it says:

Bayern-Ticket - wer darf mit?

* Gruppen bis zu fünf Personen oder ein Eltern-/Großelternpaar oder Eltern/Großeltern (max. 2 Erwachsene) mit beliebig vielen eigenen Kindern/Enkeln unter 15 Jahren.

It is clear on a max of 2 adults and the parent/grandparent relationship, but beliebig vielen could be a whole passel of younguns. The word "beliebig" can mean "any" or "user defined" and "vielen" is unequivocal in its meaning of many, upper limit unspecified.

With 10 or more, who is to say that one of the neighbor's kids did not get stirred into the mix.

It is kind of like the mother who went out and brought in her children, all of whom had been playing in the mud. She put them all in the bathtub and washed off the dirt. That was when she discovered that she had washed a neighbor's child as well. Oh well, the cleaning was needed.

Old Jul 5th, 2008, 03:41 AM

bm