MUNICH RESTAURANT choices beyond

Aug 17th, 2007, 08:29 AM
DAX
Original Poster

MUNICH RESTAURANT choices beyond

We've been to Munich several times and have been to the other more popular restaurants but would like to find new places to eat.

It would be great if anyone can comment on any of the restaurants below as I've never been to any of them.

BLAUER BOCK
Great food in a stylish, laidback ambiance near Marienplatz. The lunchtime specials, featuring the very best seasonal ingredients such as truffles and local asparagus, are among the best-value gourmet food in the city.

SCHUHBECK’S Südtiroler Stuben
Sample modern Bavarian & Austrian cuisine at its best. An elegant restaurant in a baroque style offering modern cuisine with Bavarian roots.

BRENNERGRILL:
Well known in the Munich gourmet scene is Rudi Kull who brought this restaurant/pub into the Maximilianshoefen, which has a large hall with stone columns, rustic banks and tables and high noise level reminsicent of the Ratskeller. The italian specialities & pasta are not as convincing as its steaks and grill dishes. With paper over the table cloth, it is more than a pub w/fine service. Don’t expect high culinary but the bar offers complimentary antipasti.

KOENIGSHOF am Karlsplatz:
Superb service and sensational classic french dishes make the conservative Königshof one of the most reliable fine-dining venues in Munich with a Michelin star.

PALAIS KELLER
Smiling waitresses in the bustling cellar of the elegant Palais Montgelas. Well-prepared cuisine of Bavarian & German dishes including their Tafelspitz.

DUKATZ
Can't find much info on this one
Aug 17th, 2007, 11:55 PM
DAX
Original Poster

There's got to be some Fodorite who's gone beyond the usual tourist restaurants. Anybody?
Aug 20th, 2007, 07:35 AM
DAX
Original Poster

I'm still hopeful that somebody knows about one of the restaurants I listed above.
Aug 20th, 2007, 10:54 AM

Sometimes the board is slow over the weekend. That could be why no one has responded yet. I have only been to Munich once and didn't go to any you listed - I am planning to go back though, so I too am interested in any recommendations people can give.
Aug 28th, 2007, 02:46 AM
hsv

Been to Brenner. You already gave a description, so what's it you're looking for?

Anyway - the food is Italian (the restaurant is named after the mountain with the famous pass almost all Germans travel across when going to Italy) and reasonably good. I like the Tagliatelle with venison ragout.
The place is stylish as you would expect in that location. It's one of the places that obtains intimacy between guests from being a bit on the noisy side as its interior is hall-like.
I have not experienced complimentaary antipasti at the bar (and it would surprise me), but it's not bad.

Alfons Schubeck of the Suedtiroler Stuben is a notorius TV cook and is hyperactive in his trade. I haven't been to his Munich restaurant, but dined at the place he used to have in Waging years ago. Not bad at all, but be prepared to pay up for it. And chances that he's actually been in the kitchen supervising your meal are rather remote, I would guess.
He also has an ice cream parlour across the street, which is quite good and offers some unusual concoctions.
Aug 29th, 2007, 09:25 AM
DAX
Original Poster

Thanks for your personal report on Brenner hsv. We have already left MUNICH but will return there soon.

SCHUHBECKS on Plaztl was fantastic. Food was almost excellent though the appetizers could have been executed better, but I can understand the challenge of uplifting Bavarian/Austrian overcooked meats to gourmet level. Nevertheless the service was flawless with a team of multi level waiters, it felt like dining in a multi star French restaurant. I would say the experience was worth the money plus they have a great wine selection. Their best dish was Boeff Lamotte which is an overcooked sliced steak covered with a thick delicious foie gras and sauce. The other beef/veal dishes are not as impressive. 78 eur/3 course and 88eur/4 course, 93 eur/5 course.

LENBACH on Ottostrasse was a great surprise. It's one of those lounge theme restaurants in a grand palace redesigned by Sir Terence Conran. Great concept but after 10 years it's not quite the big success one would expect. Their downfall is the laughable quality of service. Our two waiters forgot everything and got so distracted by their poor communication. Despite all the incapable service, we're planning to go back there just for their Taglioni with parmesan & fresh truffle. It's as good as those in the italian restaurants in Frankfurt. The butterfisch was also incredibly delicious if anyone is looking for a great fish dish. My wife was also very happy with the Thai fusion crustacean dishes she ordered but I never tasted any of them. The wine list was not as good as Schuhbeck but still decent. This huge place turned into a lounge club in the small hours of the night. 49 eur/4 course.

We never made it to Brenner because our concierge strongly recommended Lenbach instead. We like the fact that it is closer to our hotel. Koenigshof is closed for the entire month of August so we didn't have much luck. Our concierge thinks that Palais Keller is nothimg special so we didn't venture out. We gave up trying to find Blauer Bock and ended up at the Rathaus Keller which served us very mediocre food, total waste of our time and calorie intake. We'll try to find Blauer Bock again when we return to Munich.
Sep 3rd, 2007, 06:18 AM
DAX
Original Poster

We made it to Blauer Bock (south of Viktualienmarkt) on our return stay in Munich. We made a reservation but found out that we were the only customers for lunch last Thursday. It's a shame because we enjoyed the lunch menu creative dishes. The young waiter was not as flawless but very attentive & detailed. The sommelier was quite good. It's located on the east side of an ugly old corner hotel, but we liked the very nice modern designed interior of the restaurant.