Reload this Page >

Munich: Recent trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30th, 2001, 06:58 AM
Geri

We were in Munich Nov. 23-28. The first two days it snowed and was sensational. After that it was mostly light rain, but not too cold. Stayed at the Tulip Inn Concorde hotel. It was so easy taking S-bahn #8 from the airport and a short walk to the hotel. The hotel is on a quiet street, very close to the Hofbrauhaus and Marienplatz. The rooms on our floor (1st) were small, but well equipped and clean. Less U.S. tourists than typical this time of year, but the Hofbrauhaus was more fun than ever on Sat. night. The band played longer and a good variety of songs, even Russian folk songs. People danced and sang and at 11:30PM the coaster throwing began..so much fun. They seemed less strict about dancing and being silly, but it is comforting to know that security will not allow anyone to get "out of hand" there. We were shocked to see that the Salvator Keller is torn down and will be reconstructed. We enjoyed the old building so much. Also, we were sad to see that just about all the old long dark wood tables in Munich restaurants have been sanded down to look newer and a lighter wood. We miss the old dark wood table tops. Made several new wonderful restaurant discoveries. Andechs bier has a place near the Marienplatz now. We enjoyed that beer so much! Every time we revisit Munich it is like going "home" again. Yes, things change, but we always have a wonderful time in that city. The roasted chestnuts are extra sweet this year, the fresh beer taste as good as ever.

Old Nov 30th, 2001, 07:17 AM
Joe

Geri: You brought back wonderful memories of Munich and especially the fun at Hofbrauhaus. We were invited to join a table of Germans who turned out to be really fun people. WE sang, marched, ate and of course drank beer. They turned out to have Eastern Germany backgrounds and bought more rounds than we did. We tried, but they wouldn't hear of it. Great people and a wonderful night.

Old Nov 30th, 2001, 07:19 AM
Ess

Hi, Geri!<BR><BR>I've never been to Munich (or anywhere in Germany), but I'm glad to hear it's a city where you can "let your hair down". Sounds like you had a good time. Thanks for the trip report!

Old Nov 30th, 2001, 08:34 AM
Dianne

I considered skipping the Hofbrauhaus(too touristy) on my recent tour of Germany. I ended up going and yes it's touristy, but it sure is fun!

Old Nov 30th, 2001, 04:49 PM
Geri

I didn't mention that we are "mature" folks, early 50's. We felt like we were in our 20's again in Munich <BR>It was our first flight since that day in September. Flying on Thanksgiving day the airport was quiet, but security in both directions was tight. Our check-in luggage was hand searched departing Munich. It is a little uncomfortable having a stranger go through your dirty socks and underwear. But, I think I felt more sorry for them having to do it.

Old Nov 30th, 2001, 06:19 PM
Joe

Geri: We are also "mature people" and the Germans that invited us to join them were considerably younger. But, we had a great time. It's the spirit, not the chronology.

Old Dec 1st, 2001, 10:01 AM
Kay

Thanks for the report! Munich is one of my favorite cities!

Old Dec 9th, 2001, 10:49 AM
Bob

True Hofbrauhaus story: I was there last week with 2 friends. The gentleman at the next table was with his wife and spoke no English, but was very friendly to us. When he started to leave he made a gesture that he had had too much beer by sticking his finger in his ear and indicating that when the beer was to that level, it was time to go. He then left. (his wife had no comment.) About one hour later we were driving out of Munich in our rental van on a crowded street and a taxi came up beside us. One of our wives (they had not been with us in the Hof) stated that the guy in the taxi was waving at us. It was our buddy! Laughing and waving at us on a crowded street from the front seat of his taxi...he was not driving. Small world. <BR><BR>Go to the Hofbrauhaus while in Munich. An experience! Also visit the actual town of Andechs for great beer...the best!