Palais Royal, Paris

Old Dec 9th, 2001, 03:55 AM
Ursula

Palais Royal, Paris

There is a very nice article about the Palais Royal area in Paris in today's NY Times.
I recommend you have a look a Muriel Grateau's shop. Absolutely outstanding.
The Grand Palais is a quiet oasis not far from the busy Rue de Rivoli and the Louvre.

Old Dec 9th, 2001, 07:40 AM
puzzled

I thought le Grand Palais was an exhibition hall not far from les Champs Elysees. Is the same name used for both places?

Old Dec 9th, 2001, 08:09 AM
Joe

Puzzled, Palais Royal and Grand Palais are different places. You're right, GP and the Petit Palais are exhibition halls located between the CE and the Seine and were built for one of the late 19th century world fairs in Paris.

Old Dec 9th, 2001, 08:50 AM
Ursula

Puzzled, sorry! I am speaking about the PALAIS ROYAL as stated in the title.

I must have been thinking of the Grand Palais at the same time, because I intend to see the current exhibition "Paris-Barcelona" very soon.

PS: It would be nice, if posts could be corrected by the writers after being posted.

Old Dec 9th, 2001, 09:06 AM
puzzled

Joe, Ursula--Merci! Thanks for straightening that out. Must plan to devote some time to the Palais Royal next time we're in Paris!

Out of the far recesses of memory-- were scenes of the film 'Charade' shot in the arcades of the Palais Royal?

Old Dec 9th, 2001, 09:16 AM
Ursula

puzzled: There was a post quite a while ago about shots taken at the Palais Royal metro stop in the film "Charade". However I couldn't tell you about the arcades which, BTW, could need some renovation.

Old Dec 9th, 2001, 11:17 AM
mimi taylor

Palais royal is also where the Grand Vefour is and upstairs in one of the apartments is where Colette lived, now occupied by one of France's interior decorators. There was also the friends of Colette's headquarters to which I belonged, but with her museum now open in Burgundy, it may be closed.