Munich or Vienna?

Search

Munich or Vienna?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2004, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Munich or Vienna?

I'm thinking of using either Munich or Vienna as a base for a week vacation in December. I want a sort of laid back vacation and would also love to take some small day trips. I like museums, nature, just walking around is nice. I've been to both cities before, but on a 2-month whirlwind Europe ride a couple of summers ago. What do folks think?
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 08:35 AM

I would make it Munich but I am a Munich-ophile. Lots of easy day trips to the castles, the alps, Salzburg, Rothenburg, Dachau and lots to do in Munich expecially with the Christmas markets all over Munich. Don't know about the weather in December but the Englishergarten is hard to beat for walking. I guess if the weather turns bad you'll just have to hole up in a beer happy... bummer.
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 08:42 AM

I love Vienna. There are many museums in close proximity and of course there are the Hofburg and Schoenbrunn Palaces. You also have several nice Christkindklmarkts in Vienna i December. And, you could certainly spend a day in the Wachau area of Krems and Durnstein as well as Melk Abbey. There are also some nice little (wine) villages near Vienna but they would probably be more interesting in the summer.
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 08:45 AM

Well, I'd love to be at both places at once, but for the Christmas season I'd choose Vienna. I think it's mainly a matter of personal preference. I like the more "old world" feeling that I get in Vienna, the great art and museums, the ever-present music scene (classic, not hip-hop) and the overall ambience. You'd be especially lucky if it snows; there is nothing prettier than Vienna in a gentle snowfall. Good luck.
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 12:45 PM

Why not do three days/nights in one and the remaining in the other?
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 10:46 AM

Was in Vienna last Thanksgiving (2003). Enjoyed dinner at the Danube Tower in the revolving restaurant which is 826 feet high. Saw La Boheme at the Staatsoper, toured the Schonbrunn Palace and bought holiday goodies out front, saw the Lippizaner horse show at the Spanish Riding School, the Vienna Boys Choir, toured the Imperial Hofburg Palace, Albertina Museum (Durer's "Praying Hands&quot, the Belvedere Palace (Klimt's "The Kiss&quot, and bought chocolates at the Sacher Hotel. Squeezed in an hour's tram ride to Baden and had a mineral bath at the Grand Hotel Sauerhof...Great trip!
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 11:41 AM
DAX

I've seen Vienna covered in snow twice and would recommend it also if you plan to be Vienna for the entire week. However Baden Baden & Krems are not that special compared to Salzburg, Mittenwald, Bad Wiese, Tegernsee, & the castles. Munich may not have the baroque architecture of Vienna, but I do think Munich is a better base than Vienna if you plan to venture out to the surrounding areas. Munich does have the Residenz, Alte Piknothek and other museums as well. So it depends on how you want to spend your week.
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 01:08 PM

I think a lot of it depends on your desire for classical music and/or opera performances. Vienna has 2 opera houses. Die Volksoper puts on somewhat lighter fare at lower prices, but it does often feature some good singers in heavier operas such as La Traviata.

Given that the train trip from one the other city is less than 5 hours on the no change connections, I would consider both places for a few days each.

At that time of year, I am not sure I would be all that quick to head for some place like Neuschwanstein or Herrenchiemsee around Munich, or even to the Vienna Woods.

I would look more for attractions that are inside!

I can add one place to the list of museums that I rarely see mentioned.
Munich has a place called the Glyptohek.
It is a collection of sculptures from Greece and Rome in one building while across the street is a collection of pottery and jewelry from the two areas.

If I had to select one, I would lean toward Vienna, but not too far.
On the other hand, Munich is a fun place to visit. I have been there several times and always find something to do.
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 01:33 PM
ira

Hi q,

Vienna is coffee with whipped cream.
Munich is pretzels and beer.
Both are good.

(Wien, Wien, du nur allein
Wohin sind deine Fraulein).

(Wiener, blut....Wiener, blut...)
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 01:39 PM
ira

OOOPS,

That should be

"Wien, Wien, nur du allein
Sollst stets die Stadt meiner Träume sein !".
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 10:40 PM

I have not been to either in December, but I always like Munich over Vienna. While in Munich, however, one Italian gentleman marveled at the Germans during cold weather---drinking beer and eating sausages! I guess I'd agree with Ira on that one....although if it were me I'd choose Munich.
Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 01:28 PM

In my most biased opinion, it's München, Naturlich!

where else can you find a sled-riding hill where you rent the traditional rail sled at the bottom of the hill, go up in 10 minutes in a gondola, and then 30 minutes downhill for 6.5 km?
check out trail number 2 on this map:

http://www.wallbergbahn.de/englisch/abfahrt.html
Old Dec 19th, 2004, 03:04 AM

vienna. just got back . we loved it -so much to do and so easy. we were not crazy about munich. if you go to munich you must stay in rothenberg which is amazing and one of the most beautiful cities we have ever been. if you have never been there fly into munich ,rent a car and drive north along the romantic road to rothenberg.
Old Dec 19th, 2004, 05:22 AM

Well I have also been to both and I vote for Munich. Vienna is nice too but I though the food and people were nicer in Munich.

Munich is a very clean city with very friendly people and great shopping. The food is great, as is the beer.

You can also do a day trip to Salzburg by train.

If you want a great little hotel with good rates, try the Advokat. Its modern and really convenient to everything, especially the train to the airport.
Old Dec 19th, 2004, 05:28 AM

Message riffic: Sled hill Munich- your geography is a little off -the Wallbergbahn is by Tegernsee an hour outside of Munich
Old Dec 20th, 2004, 03:54 AM

I have been to both. While I enjoy Vienna, I would choose Munich (in fact, I leave for Munich in 4 weeks). I think the city is beautiful, and there are lots of great day trips that may it an excellent base for a week stay.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 12:41 PM

I, too would favor Munich. However, why not make the trip from one to another. There are many great little towns in between that may fit the bill (potentially Salzburg, Melk, Linz, etc.). In addition, the towns in between will be much less expensive than either.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 12:46 PM

Vienna easily. There is so much to see and do in Vienna and it has many excellent restaurants. I have been there about a dozen times in the last four years and still have plenty of things left on my to do list...going back again in February.
However, since it's January, I imagine quebec has already made his/her trip...any trip report forthcoming?
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 01:29 PM

I much prefer Munich while my wife prefers Vienna. I say it's the ambiance of Munich that appeals to me. She says it's the ambiance of Vienna that appeals to her - just what is ambiance anyway? You'll love either city. Gute Reise!
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 02:28 PM

Interesting. People are still offering suggestions even though quebec's December trip has apparently come and gone. Does anyone else wonder which was chosen? Meanwhile I see quebec also asked about skiing in both Germany and in Austria just over a week or so ago, so I wonder if the trip was ever taken?