Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Munich: Oktoberfest Suggestions???? Advice please.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2012, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be staying at the Mercure Orbis Muenchen Perlach, in Munich, from Oct 2nd through the 6th for Oktoberfest. I was wondering, if anyone has ever stayed at this hotel and if they think it's a good location/place to stay.
Also, i wanted to know how to get around in Munich. How early should I get to the 'tents', should I or can I, take a train to Berlin? I am really in the dark about how things work during Oktoberfest. Thank you so very much!g
Old Apr 26th, 2012, 12:37 PM

I don't know your hotel, but Munich has excellent public transportation including buses and a metro system in addition to the trains.

You can learn more about Oktoberfest here:
http://www.oktoberfest.de/en/navitem...e+Oktoberfest/
and by entering your search terms in the Search the Forums box on the upper right corner of this page, you can read lots of posts about Oktoberfest, Munich and Berlin.

Perhaps after a little research, you will have more knowledge and more specific questions for us.
Old Apr 26th, 2012, 01:40 PM

I've been to Oktoberfest several times. Getting into a tent at night is almost impossible, unless you are part of the group that 'rented' your space, mostly companies.

My first time, I was lucky in that Siemens' employees made me an employee for an evening. The two other times I went I was part of a company that rented space.

During the day, there is no problem getting into the tents, they're usually pretty empty.

Be prepared for a lot of drunkeness and silliness. I have sworn off doing the chicken dance for the rest of my life. An example... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUAjoEDK-ik

The Germans love to get Americans drunk and then get them on amusement rides. German rides are much faster than those in the U.S. Politely decline.

The last Saturday of Octoberfest is probably the most crowded day, with about, seemingly a million drunk U.S. soldiers. The only way to move around is to get behind a beer wagon and follow its path.

Total attendance will probably push 7 million. If you're truly young at heart, the bumpber cars are great; they are about twice as fast as American bumper cars.

Beer will be the U.S. equivalent of about $13 per one liter serving.
Old Apr 26th, 2012, 02:15 PM

Rastaguytoday probably gave you the information you were looking for. We were there for the opening day parade, tapping of the first keg and enjoyed some beer, food, photo ops and such before the major drunkeness and silliness ensued. It did get very wet and sticky and crowded quickly. There's a lot more to see and do in Munich than just Oktoberfest though.
Old Apr 26th, 2012, 04:21 PM

If your hotel is where I t.hink it is you will need to use the public transport to get to Teriesienweise ( I know I probably misspelled that ), the Oktoberfest Grounds. The good news is the public transportation system is pretty cheap, efficient and easy to negotiate. I started to add, even while drunk, but that might be stretching things. Have fun, and do try the chicken dance.