Munich- Octoberfest

Search

Munich- Octoberfest

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2014, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Munich- Octoberfest

We have a trip planned to Germany, etc in September. Due to our schedule we will be in Munich during Octoberfest. This would not have been my first choice. We are thinking it might be best to stay on the train line just outside of Munich. We will be coming from Salzburg by train. Our timing is probably 3 nights at this location. At the end we will pick up a car at the train station & head north.
Old May 2nd, 2014, 06:09 PM

You should not fear Munich at this time but embrace it and Oktoberfest. I would love to go again. Book now or it might be late to get something. I think Grafing is on the way from Salzburg and might be ok. I love Murnau but that is heading south to Garmisch but not a bad trip on the train to commute into Munich and it is a great little village.
Old May 2nd, 2014, 06:28 PM

Munich was fine during Oktoberfest. The fairgrounds are not in the center of the city, but on the outskirts. The hotels will be considerably more expensive, if you can even find accommodations at this point. We stayed in Augsburg and trained in each day. Very easy, and a whole lot cheaper than staying in Munich.

If you don't want to go to Oktoberfest don't go. There is plenty of other things to do. If you do want to go, go earlier in the day when it is quiet. Pop in and out of the tents, grab a table, have a great lunch and walk around the fairgrounds and people watch.
Old May 3rd, 2014, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks flpab & Michelle_d, do you remember names of places you stayed? We did look into Munich and terribly expensive or all sold out. Thanks for the encouragement on Octoberfest. Would like to experience it but wasn't up for a mob scene.
Old May 3rd, 2014, 06:30 AM

You definitely can experience Oktoberfest without the mob scene. Plan to have lunch in one of the tents. The tables are reserved for later in the day (when the mobs arrive) but lunch is not a problem. We had ribs and chicken. Yum! The band was playing, we sat next to a group of twenty somethings, everyone was singing and laughing. It really was a lot of fun..and I don't even drink. Then we walked around the fairgrounds. It was fun seeing the families dressed in their traditional lederhosen outfits. We stayed in Augsburg at the Choice Hotel there/free with points.
Old May 3rd, 2014, 04:09 PM

http://www.booking.com/hotel/de/grie...zu-murnau.html

I can't get their website to load. We stay in Garmisch because we are military but eat here all the time and it has great beer because they have a brewery. I thought their hotel looked good or anything close by.
Old May 4th, 2014, 12:54 PM

Since you don't want to experience a mob scene, I hope your trip to the 'Fest won't be on the weekend. If the weather is nice it gets extremely crowded. On the weekend, try to get there before noon...During the week 2 PM is usually early enough.

The main train station in Munich is about 6 blocks from the 'Fest location so it is easy to train in and out. I have used the train from Augsburg, Garmisch, Ingolstadt, and Freising. Others have mentioned Murnau, Starnburg, and Landshut. Salzburg is only 1.5 hours away. There are many other small towns on main rail (and SBahn) lines around Munich where rooms should be OK for location and cost. Use booking.com to find hotels in these towns. The site has good maps showing locations relative to the train stations.

Have a great trip and enjoy the 'Fest!!!

Old May 10th, 2014, 06:40 AM

There are also some temporary accomodations during Oktoberfest. Especially on weekends, they may be an alternative.

http://www.oktoberfest-faq.com/are-t...els-in-munich/