Munich – Neuschwanstein – Salzburg Train or Rental Car

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2015, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We were initially planning on taking the train to Fussen and the bus to the castle but the train ride does seem long and the onward connection to Salzburg would be through Munich.
Has anyone rented and driven to Neuschwanstein and would you recommend that? We would leave early morning to Fussen, see the castle and then drive onwards to Salzburg.
Would appreciate your input.
Old Aug 13th, 2015, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

The earlier part of my post got cut. My husband and I will be in Munich next week with our one year old baby. We would like to do a day trip to see the Neuschwanstein Castle from Munich and our next destination after that is Salzburg. We are trying to figure out whether to take the train/bus or rent a car.
Old Aug 13th, 2015, 02:23 PM

The reason to take the car would be the scenic drive along the foothills of the Alps from Neuschwanstein to Salzburg (mostly following the German Alpine Road/Byway).

The reasons not to take a rental car:
The Alpine Road takes some time to drive. You probably won't have that after 1/2 day at Neuschwanstein (plus the drive to get there).
If you drop the car in Salzburg you will most probably incur a penalty fee (Salzburg is in a different country than Munich).
To avoid that fee, you could drop off the car in Freilassing at the German/Austrian border near Salzburg. Again, after that time spent in Neuschwanstein and the longish drive towards Salzburg, probably not the most convenient procedure.

If money (for the extra drop off fee) was no issue, and you find it easier to travel with your one year old in a car but what to avoid the extra hours for traveling on the Alpine Road, you could drive from Füssen to Innsbruck (short leg on a good highway, then motorway only) to Kufstein, Rosenheim and eventually Salzburg. This route would require a motorway toll sticker for Austria (some 9 euro or so) which you will get in Füssen at gas stations or at gas stations in Austria once you went thru the border tunnel.
Old Aug 13th, 2015, 02:35 PM

If you go by train get the Bavarian Lander Card or Ticket which for the three of yous would cost about 30 euros for unlimited riding of regional trains - the ones to Fussen - all day as well as urban transports in Munich - you do not have to go back to Munich to get to Salzburg by rail - from Fuessen take a bus or taxi thru the gap along the river to Reutte, Austria which has trains to Garmisch and Innsbruck and from there via Kufstein to Salzburg. Probably quicker than going back to Munich and a more scenic route.

For lots of good info on German and Austrian trains check these IMO info-laden sites: www.seat61.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com. the Bavarian Ticket is also valid on trains from Reutte to Garmisch so that would save a bit of money (it's a German train going thru Austria but starting in Germany and ending in Germany - Garmisch which is a short train ride from Innsbruck.

But with a toddler I'd rent a car and do the whole thing by car as cowboy so nicely outlines above.
Old Aug 13th, 2015, 02:44 PM

Maybe do Neuschwanstein during the week and then just take the train to Salzburg. It doesn't take that long to see the castle.
You could even do this and not have to wait in line for tickets.

Yohttp://www.viator.com/tours/Munich/Neuschwanstein-Castle-Small-Group-Day-Tour-from-Munich/d487-2666CASTLEu
Old Aug 13th, 2015, 05:53 PM

To me traveling with a toddler a car is much simpler than a train due to all of the stuff you have to haul around. Using a car to do exactly what you want then is easier than waiting around for trains and making changes - esp in a short time and with the amount of luggage/stroller/baby stuff you will have.
Old Aug 14th, 2015, 04:57 AM

This travel day will be FAR easier if you dump the whole notion of seeing N'stein, which is not a castle anyway, but a late 19th century palatial residence built by Ludwig II to LOOK like a castle from centuries past. It was lived in for 6 months - and nothing much ever happened there.

A guy named Jerry Garrett penned these comments on Neuschwanstein a couple years ago - they mirror my experience almost exactly. "The tours are brisk, brusque and sorta boring. You’re in and out in 30 minutes or less, and there’s not all that much to see at Neuschwanstein because the place was a work-in-progress that was never finished. Many rooms are unfurnished. Many are unfinished. Refurbishing work on what was completed is ongoing, inside and out. The tour only goes to some of the rooms."

I would add that my tour was conducted in Germ-lish so heavily accented that much of it was unintelligible. And that you'll pay 12 Euros of being herded through with an overcrowded tour group.

The experience at Herrenchiemsee - another of Ludwig's palaces, this one mimicking Versailles, is more enjoyable - and it's ON THE WAY to Salzburg in a fabulous setting. Drive or take the train 1 hour from Munich to Prien (a station with lockers for bags.) A boat ferries you out to Herrenchiemsee Island, where the palace of the same name is situated.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/7/6177/6...61f5d359_z.jpg

http://www.herrenchiemsee.de/englisch/n_palace/

Salzburg's Hohensalzburg and nearby Hohenwerfen in Werfen are "real-thing" castles in Austria that you might visit:

http://www.salzburg-burgen.at/en/
Old Aug 14th, 2015, 04:59 AM

OH, BTW, you can make the Munich-Prien-Salzburg train journey for €28:

http://www.munich-touristinfo.de/Bavaria-Ticket.htm
Old Aug 14th, 2015, 06:45 AM

Maybe this page can help https://welovetotraveltoo.wordpress....angau-germany/. It has info on getting to the castle and Berchestgaden.
Old Aug 14th, 2015, 09:56 AM

My experience twice nows at Neuschwanstein was vastly difference from fussganger's - every room hoeld a new surprise - not your typical boring castle interior - the guide spoke excellent English - one of my top top travel experiences in decades of travel.

I agree Herrenschiemsee is also great but Neuschwanstein is the world's most fastle castle and according to the German Tourist Office one of the most popular sites in Germany - it puts it at the top of its list.
Old Aug 14th, 2015, 11:34 AM

all that much to see at Neuschwanstein because the place was a work-in-progress that was never finished. Many rooms are unfurnished. Many are unfinished.>

Not much to see - most rooms unfinished - NIME at all - every room a glittering surprise - how someone could pen the above defies reality IME!

https://www.google.com/search?q=neus...=1600&bih=1099
Old Aug 14th, 2015, 12:58 PM

http://www.schlosslinderhof.de/engli...ce/history.htm
Linderhof is on the way.
I am with fussgaenger here. You really liked it Pal?

The crowds were huge and lines long...
I would rather stop at Ettal, drive on to Oberammergau, see Linderhof and then the Disney palace. If the lines are still long at least you had a nice day.

But the op wants to go so IF baby has a ton of paraphernalia then a car would seem best. Some modern parents strap a kid on their back with a backpack so they would be perfect for the train. I just remember it seeming like a long ride but it is around three hours so not bad.
Old Aug 14th, 2015, 01:01 PM

Lots of folks actually like it flpab - do you realize that that someone like me can think it was exceptional - look again at the images I posted and it's a neat area to explore - go up to the marienbrucke for a classic view of castle below:

https://www.google.com/search?q=mari...=1600&bih=1099

There is more here than just the castle tour! Check it out sometime!
Old Aug 14th, 2015, 05:05 PM

Pal, I have been there.
Old Aug 14th, 2015, 08:13 PM

"Lots of folks actually like it flpab..."
Mostly Disney fetishists, I think. Actually, it IS OK for what it is... and it IS exceptional, but so is Disneyland, not that it's the same, but it's certainly not completely dissimilar, with overpriced trinkets and snacks on the steep path up to the long line of tourists waiting for their rushed ride through the rooms. It takes up most of one's day because of the logistics, and the OP is trying to get to Salzburg... It's just not so special that it's worth the hassle, even less special when you're toting a tiny one around... I can't recommend or even visualize this lengthy outing at all with a wee one aboard and with Salzburg as a final destination.
Old Aug 17th, 2015, 04:05 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your wonderful feedback. It was extremely helpful to us and given that we are traveling with a baby, we decided a rental will give us some added flexibility and ease. We were able to reserve a decently priced rental in Munich and have decided to drive to see the castle in the morning. Following the castle, we will drive onwards to Salzburg. To avoid the extra drop off penalty in Austria, we will drop the car in Freilassing.

While reading about the castle though, we were bummed that the marienbrucke bridge is closed for renovation. Hoping we can get gorgeous views from other spots as well.
Old Aug 17th, 2015, 09:31 AM

Hoping we can get gorgeous views from other spots as well.>

Yes you can - on the paths leading to the bridge - not so neat but still worth the trek.
Old Aug 17th, 2015, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks @PalenQ!!!
Old Aug 17th, 2015, 12:34 PM

Pal, I have been there.>

did you trek up to the Marienbrucke and tour Mad Ludwig's other boyhood home castle Hohenschwangau or just take a hurried guided tour and bolt back to Fuessen?

But I can appreciate that a very few folks I've read about here have your view - such things are very subjective - I will just say the average tourist will be agog in those stunning rooms and views from hikes in the area - castle purists often disdain it as being Ersatz as it is and that is why I like it - not your typical boring boring castle tour! (In my subjective view.)
Old Aug 17th, 2015, 01:20 PM

For the car renter, There is a delightful drive that someone referenced above. Maybe not the quickest but "what are you going for?" Take the autobahn from Munich toward Garmish. Turn toward Oberammergau just before you get to Garmish. Make a stop at the Ettal Monastary then Linderhof, Oberammergau, Wiesekirche then to Fussen.

Be sure to include the tour of the "other castle", Hohenschwangau with Neuschwanstein. H'gau is a "real castle where people actually lived and is very interesting.

If Salzburg is next on the list drive back the same way. If you like you can stop in Garmish to ascend the Zugspitze then 10 miles down the road, Mittenwald, the violin makers village. Head toward Innsbruck and turn toward Salzburg in the Tal valley. Make a stop in Berstchesgaden as you go.