Munich Lodging Help

Jun 29th, 2007, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Munich Lodging Help

I am beginning to look at lodging options for an upcoming trip to Europe with my wife. I was in Munich 5 years ago with a friend of mine and found cheap lodging near the train station in an area that was crowded with strip joints. While it didn't bother us on that trip, I think my wife would prefer to stay in a different area, although I would still like to be close to the pedestrian area. In looking at maps, I can't quite figure out what the area that I stayed in before is. Is it the area that is just south of the main train station? We found a room for 80 Euro at the Four Points near the train station (located at http://www.starwoodhotels.com/fourpo...propertyID=156), but I think I would prefer to stay at a more "European" hotel. Has anyone stayed at the Four Points? Is it in a decent area?

Does anyone have any good suggestions for under 100 Euro for a double with a private bathroom that is within walking distance (15 - 20 minutes) from the pedestrian zone and not in a seedy part of town?

Thank you.
Jun 29th, 2007, 09:13 AM

We stayed last month at the Mercure Hotel Muenchen City, near the Marienplatz area, but it was 111E, for double with bathroom. We didn't want to stay near train station either, but it is still within walking distance if you want to go there or a subway station in Marienplatz. Nice cafe across the street to eat breakfast at, the hotel charged 13E for breakfast so we didn't eat there. It is a more modern hotel though, but we would stay there again, because of the location and it's nice hotel.
Jun 29th, 2007, 09:29 AM
MaureenB

Try the Hotel Uhland. It is highly recommended here, and we stayed there two years ago. It's a charming boutique hotel, about a ten minute walk to the train station, about 20 minutes to Marienplatz. A very nice breakfast buffet is included, free bikes are available. Private baths, free internet use in a room off the lobby. It's a bargain, but I don't know if it's under 100 EUR. Try their website.
>-

Jun 29th, 2007, 10:00 AM

we will be at HOtel Uhland for first time in a week. Rooms running 152 Euros/nite. Very good customer service
Jun 29th, 2007, 10:03 AM

You're referring to Schillerstraße (south) and Bayerstraße (east) of the station. It's not really crowded with strip joints, but there are a few.
Jun 29th, 2007, 10:08 AM

You might check out Hotel Schlicker, near Marienplatz and Victualienmarkt. Small, friendly, handy to central city. It's on Tal Strasse, which leads down to the river and the Deutsches Museum.
Jun 29th, 2007, 12:05 PM

We opted to stay a little bit away from the center of things when we were there - at the Hotel Laimer Hof near the Nymphenberg Palace. Public transportation in Munich is terrific, so it was easy getting back and forth to our hotel, even at mid-day to drop off bags when we were shopping, change clothes if needed, take a nap and then go back out, or whatever. It is a nice residential neighborhood with some local shopping and restaurants, and a terrific beer garden. There are a couple trams that go within a couple blocks of the hotel that take you right downtown and the S-Bahn station is about a 10 minute walk away. Very easy.

So anyway, if you don't find something in your range close to the Marienplatz, you might check out this hotel. We really liked it and will probably stay there again next time we are in Munich.
Jun 29th, 2007, 12:12 PM

We have always stayed in the area of the train station at Hotelissimo Haberstock. It is very clean, wonderful breakfast, and all desk clerks speak perfect English. There is a "girlie" club across the street, but we have never had a problem at all any where in Munich. And my sister and I are usually alone in Europe.

The rates are about 104€ weekdays and 98€ for weekends, unless there is a convention, trade fair, or Octoberfest. They will be fully booked during any of those.
Jun 29th, 2007, 12:30 PM

we stayed at the Hotel Deutsche Theatre. (My German spelling is even worse than my French!)
It was about 2 blocks from the train station, yep there were a couple of "adult" places, but really, hardly blatant...and no slavering, drooling, unsavory stereotypical people hanging around outside...
Jun 29th, 2007, 12:46 PM

We generally stay in the Haupt Banhoff area because it is close to the pedestrian zone and I don't remember noticing more that a couple of strip clubs. There were a lot more other types of businesses there than strip clubs. If you are not put off by that we like the Drei Lowen hotel that is in your price range and 'very Bavarian' with typical feather bed covers on the beds and lots of paintings on the walls.
Jul 1st, 2007, 04:20 AM
JN

Have you considered the Hotel Eder, right near the train station but not, I'm told, near the adult entertainment places? It is ranked #21 by Tripadvisor posters of 350 rated munich hotels. Cost is reasonable.
http://www.hotel-eder.de/pages/main-e.html

Read Tripadvisor.com reviews of the Eder here:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...h_Bavaria.html
Jul 2nd, 2007, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone. Has anyone stayed at Hotel Monaco?
Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:01 PM

Two of us totally enjoyed Hotel Uhland last July and would return. In the middle of a residential area but as mentioned about a pretty 10-15 minute walk to main train station. MUCH cheaper during week (around $100 U.S.) compared with $175-$250 on weekend. Includes WONDERFUL full breakfast.
Jul 3rd, 2007, 07:16 PM

We just spent 2 nights in the Hotel Blauer Bock at Viktualien Markt. It has all that you asked for about 100 euros. Location is less than 5 minutes from Marienplatz.

http://www.hotelblauerbock.de/preise.htm

It is a plain hotel that seems to cater to business men and women. Good breakfast.

Regards, Gary

Jul 4th, 2007, 09:19 PM

You might want to try priceline. we just won the Marriott Munich for $65 per night for our stay in October. It's location is not central but it is very close to the U bahn stop that will take 8 min. to the city center.