Search

Munich hotel

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13th, 2001, 11:13 AM
Kay clayden

Munich hotel

We are a family of 5 with Jan1-3 to stay in Munich. Any recommendations?

Old Dec 13th, 2001, 11:50 AM
Manny

Kay,<BR><BR>You do not specify what class of hotel in which you are interested. Ex. 2 star, 3 star etc. I can give you two web sites for you to explore. They are<BR>www.munich-tourist.de<BR>www.hrs.de<BR>Two hotels which receive good recommendations and are reasonable are<BR>www.hotel-jedermann.de<BR>www.hotel-uhland.de<BR><BR>If I can offer any more assistance, email me.<BR><BR>Manny

Old Dec 13th, 2001, 11:50 AM
W. A. Robison

We have stayed at the Am Markt three or four times in the past. It's located right at the Viktualsmarkt, just a very short walk from the Marienplatz. I don't know the exact cost now, but it's not a terribly expensive place. The down side-- no elevator. But it's neat and clean and the location is unbeatable.

Old Dec 13th, 2001, 12:40 PM
Joe

We stayed at the Hotel Uhland this past June. It was 1/2 block walk to bus that took five minutes to main train station. Good breakfast. Very attentive, friendly staff.

Old Dec 13th, 2001, 01:41 PM
Wayne

Kay---<BR>We've stayed at the Admiral Hotel, not very far southeast of the center of town. We've walked to all the main sights from there. It's a nice smaller hotel with a great buffet breakfast.

Old Dec 13th, 2001, 02:39 PM
Bob Brown

I was in Munich last year for 5 nights and we stayed in Schwabing, about a mile or so north of Odeonsplatz.<BR>Our hotel was the Astoria. It was very good. It had a great breakfast, and it was right off Leopoldstrasse which is alive with all sorts of shopping and restaurants. I will be in Munich next summer and the Astoria is the first choice for me because it worked out so well.

Old Dec 13th, 2001, 08:07 PM
Kay

Thank you for suggestions.We are arriving by train from Frankfurt, so I am out to check on the Uhland

Old Dec 13th, 2001, 09:40 PM
Kay clayden

I found sites from Manny, thanks. I couldn't find Astoria. Would it be the Astor? Also I am going to try the Pousadas of Portugal. The photos look too good to be true.

Old Dec 14th, 2001, 09:56 AM
Bob Brown

The hotel is the Astoria, Nicolaistra&szlig;e 9 in Munich. I stayed there 5 nights; so I know the hotel well.<BR>It is not a large place at all, but extremely well managed. In fact, the smallness of the hotel is what makes it charming. The room we had was about 3 times the size of what we had in Paris.<BR>In other words, it was ample or more so.<BR>Our bed was as large as an American king sized bed, and comfortable. <BR><BR>The hotel is just north of the Gieselastra&szlig;e Ubahn stop, and just east of Leopoldstra&szlig;e in Schwabing with the English Gardens a short walk away.<BR><BR>We got there the first time by taking the Lufthansa Bus from the airport plus a taxi for the final leg because of our luggage. The second time we hopped on the Ubahn from the main train station and got off at Gieselastra&szlig;e and walked the short distance to the hotel.<BR><BR>I think the Yahoo search engine will find entries for Astoria Hotel Munich. <BR>However, I would call them directly. The Telephone number is 49(89) 383 9630<BR>The 49 is Germany, the 89 is Munich.<BR>The people on the front desk speak English well enough to get the job done. <BR>I loved the breakfast, it was served with class and the selection was incredible. All kinds of fruit, various juices, yogurt, cereals, bread, meats, boiled eggs, milk, tea, and coffee.<BR>In fact, glad you asked. I need to make my reservation now for my next trip!!<BR><BR>

Old Dec 14th, 2001, 12:42 PM
Robin

Hi Kay: My son and I stayed at the Pension Seibel two years ago. It was very convenient to the market and the Marienplatz. Munich is great. Have fun.<BR>Robin

Old Dec 14th, 2001, 03:59 PM
Stef

I stayed at the Amadeus Hotel last summer and it was fantastic!<BR>Upperscale best western it was.

Old Dec 14th, 2001, 08:05 PM
Dave and JoAnn

Maybe not for a family of 5, but we just stayed at the the Mandarin Oriental, formerly the Raphael. Very expensive, very good. Best service of any hotel on our European trip.

Old Dec 15th, 2001, 08:40 AM
Manny

Kay,<BR>Just thought I would share this info with you. We are going to Munich in March. I like to be prepared ahead of my trips so I usually research the city and get as much info as I can about what to see,do, restaurants etc. You are aware of Fodors site but Frommers also has a web site www.frommers.com<BR><BR>On either site if you go to munich you will find tons of info. Using both sites I compiled a lot of useful info that I am taking with us and it makes the vacation a lot more organized, gives you and idea of what you want to see and not see. I know sometimes in the past, I missed seeing something because I was unaware or just didn't prioritize my activities.<BR><BR>Have fun in Munich, it is a great city.<BR>Manny

Old Dec 15th, 2001, 03:08 PM
carmen

We stayed with our children at the Konigshoff (sp?) and were extremely happy with it. It's not cheap, but it's not the most expensive either. The service was extraordinary and the food was fabulous. We arrived tired and hungry after a very long day of driving, being lost, etc.. got there too late for our dinner reservation...and had the most exquisite room service meal we've ever had. The sommelier actually came to our room and artfully swirled our wine into a carafe! One reason we were lost is because the outside of the hotel is a bit misleading...looks a bit like a car dealership. But the location is fantastic (easy walk everywhere) and the inside makes up for the facade.<BR><BR>