Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Am I the only one who takes no note whatsoever of the names of hotels he's stayed in?

Am I the only one who takes no note whatsoever of the names of hotels he's stayed in?

Dec 12th, 2001, 05:39 AM
rick

Wow. I'm very impressed with everyone's excellent memories here. (I'm not being sarcastic; I really am amazed.) I've traveled to Europe more than a little and can't honestly say I remember the name of a single hotel I've stayed in EVER.

And I've stayed in some fantastic places. I remember them location-wise (on the Quiranale, etc.), but have no idea how to recommend them to another.

Reading this forum makes me want to take better notes. (I take mainly pictures.) I enjoy reading everything y'all have to offer. Happy Holidays!

Dec 12th, 2001, 05:49 AM
beth anderson

Hi Rick,

since frequenting this travel board, I have learned to take better notes, or just pay better attention.

I am also horrible about remembering or even noticing restaurant names, hotel names - unless they really strike my fancy. (or are singularly awful, in which case HOW could you forget...)

the same goes with prices of anything. "well, I don't recall that it was all that outrageous" or "good LORD can you believe we paid that much" is about the extent of my paying attention to prices too.

but I have to say, once you find an audience of sorts, or feel like you could lend someome a hand on your experiences, you start to pay better attention.

kinda.

Beth

Dec 12th, 2001, 05:52 AM
micia

Rick: no, you are not the only one.
I have been fortunate to have traveled an awful lot, but am never able to remember all the things (details) that most do here on this board.
I am good about remembering general details, but not many specific ones.
Thank heavens for people like those here, they help out a lot to many.
Some of their detailed reports are really fun.
There are also some really talented writers here as well. Lots of fun.

Dec 12th, 2001, 05:56 AM
MaryC

You could always take pictures of the front of your hotel, thereby saving it for posterity.

Not meaning to be sexist, but I think it's a guy thing. Men are better at things spatially (or so I've read) which explains why you remember locations and not names.

Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays

Dec 12th, 2001, 05:56 AM
cdf

I guess I have one of those quirky memories where I remember the little things but not where I left my car.Or maybe because these trips are steps out of everyday life and they mean so much to me, I tend to remember every minute! I can usually remember not only the restaurant but what I ate, but happily, I do not remember how much it cost One tip: if you keep a journal and write things down at the end of each day, they will stick in your mind longer/you can check your notes and remember! Happy Holidays~C

Dec 12th, 2001, 06:15 AM
Tracey

I also have a horrible memory so I've learned to collect matches or businees cards every place I go. That way when I see the name or the logo it helps me to remember.

Dec 12th, 2001, 06:16 AM
sandi

It's more difficult if your travelling without reservations. When we went to Italy last, with my son, I wanted to have reservation everywhere we went so we spent months researching hotels. By the time the trip was upon us, the names of the hotel were etched in my brain. I had also typed up an itenerary for my parents in casae of emergency etc..

Dec 12th, 2001, 06:19 AM
Patrick

My memory is aided by my keeping the full itinerary of each trip: lists of hotels, phone and fax for each day of the trip. I always print this out for emergencies for family, etc. This I keep inside the journal I do of each trip -- a daily accounting of each day's activities, although I must admit that these get more and more brief each year. Among other things that I do make sure I note are the room numbers of hotels that I may want to return to, as well as restaurant names and locations of places I wouldn't want to miss on a return visit. I write less and less about what I saw at the museum, or what specific things I did each day. My pictures become more of the record for visual remembrances, but the journal is more useful for future travel planning.

Dec 12th, 2001, 06:37 AM
Martha

As far as remembering hotels - I always grab a the hotel's business card/matchbooks when I am in a country where I don't speak the language so that I can just show it to a taxi driver if I get completely lost!

Dec 12th, 2001, 07:01 AM
Dina

I know what you mean. On my recent first trip of 7 weeks, I planned to keep a detailed journal; but that fell by the wayside after the first week. So I forgot hundreds of details, including hotel and restaurant names and locations, historical sites, shops, and art galleries. Luckily, my husband saved every receipt, plus a collection of business cards and flyers, and he has a better memory for directions. From these, plus numerous maps, I was able to figure out most names and places when I went to assemble my illustrated online travelogue. There were still a few mystery pictures, and the Fodorites helped me identify some of them.
Next time, I'll keep a better journal, plus I will trace my walking paths on the map each day.

Dec 12th, 2001, 07:10 AM
Bob Brown

I remember the very bad ones and the very good ones.
I remember them more in Europe because they have character.
In the USA, the chains like Marriott, Holiday Inn, La Quinta, etc. are so standard that there is nothing unique about them anymore. I have found a few good independents. There is one in
Logan Utah that is really outstanding.

Dec 12th, 2001, 07:37 AM
elvira

I have a mind like a steel sieve, so I don't remember the names of hotels, restaurants, or stores. If I happen to save the receipt, or didn't use up all the matches in the packet, I can always go look it up, but if someone asks "anyone stay at the Hotel Annonnimiss?" I have no clue if I have or haven't. Ditto with restaurant recos - not a snowball's chance in hell remembering where I ate except maybe it had the word "restaurant" in the name.

Dec 12th, 2001, 07:42 AM
cdf

Elvira-your trip reports are So Good, who cares if you remember the names~C

Dec 12th, 2001, 10:20 AM
Capo

Good question, Rick.

If I traveled to Europe numerous times every year, or went once a year and stayed in a lot of different hotels, I suppose I might have trouble remembering the names of all the hotels. But, I've been going about once a year and usually staying in only one or two hotels on each trip, so that makes the names easier to remember.

Now restaurants...those are names I rarely remember.

Dec 12th, 2001, 03:14 PM
bettyk

When we lived in Vienna and traveled around with family who would come visit, we never made hotel reservations ahead of time. I will occasionally find a receipt or something with a hotel name on it and it will jog my memory. However, now that we are traveling from the US for several weeks at a time, I always plan out an itinerary and research hotels ahead of time. I really find this approach easier because you can waste a lot of time driving around looking for a room in a strange town. When you are tired, you are apt to take anything whether it's someplace you'd really like to stay or not. Now, I make sure that the hotel is part of my travel experience and not just an afterthought.

Dec 12th, 2001, 05:58 PM
Patrick

Well said, Betty. I never could understand traveling and arriving in a town then starting to look for a place to stay. With my luck we'd arrive the day of the annual wine festival or the celebration of some patron saint and there wouldn't be a decent place left in town. Anyway, I have better things to do with my time when traveling, and care too much (way too much, some would say) about where I stay. The hotel really is a major part of my total enjoyment of any given destination.

Dec 12th, 2001, 06:16 PM
Dallas, Texas

This thread has made me feel so much better! I, too, have wondered how so many people could remember the names of hotels where they stayed or restraurants where they ate. I've traveled to Europe a number of times, and I remember wonderful people I've met, great castles and cathedrals I've seen, the scenery, the food, the shopping etc., etc., but I can't tell you the name of one hotel where I've stayed or the name of one restaurant where I ate the great food. Next time, I'm planning on taking better notes too.

Dec 12th, 2001, 06:31 PM
Dayle

Rick, I only remember hotels because I'm the one who has done the planning. I also remember details like the names of almost every site and town. For some reason I never remember phone numbers or restaurants. I'm very good at Trivial Pursuit because I retain useless factoids - like "what country was Bing Crosby in when he died?" I actually know the answer to that. Don 't ask me WHY!

Dec 12th, 2001, 06:32 PM
cdf

:0) I can just picture us a few months from now-wandering the streets of Paris,Rome, jotting down our notes,looking up occasionally,jotting some more~ One of the better ways that I have kept names and places in mind-whenever I am somewhere that has brochures/cards/any advertising fliers,I take one.I have posters for galleries that I liked,if someone wants to know a good place in Paris to buy a poster, I just look at the wall~C

Dec 15th, 2001, 01:40 PM
clairobscur

I never remember the name of restaurants, hotels, etc...I'm more likely to find my way to a restaurant, remember what I had there, where I was seated or what was the color of the walls than to remember its name. Sometimes, I don't even remember the name of the town...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO