Munich Hilton or Marriott

Old May 27th, 2006, 04:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Munich Hilton or Marriott

I am planning on spending two nights in Munich staying at either a Hilton or Marriott using points?

Can anyone recommend any of these hotels?

We originally had reservations at the Renissance, but can easily be switched over to the Marriott or Hilton City.
Old May 27th, 2006, 11:20 PM
hsv

The Renaissance and the Marriott are neighboring each other in sort of a strange location for the location-conscious Marriott chain. They are slightly tucked away from the city center (but with easy freeway access), but just a short walk (Marriott 3 min., Renaissance 1 min.) from the Nordfriedhof metro station (and the stop of the Lufthansa Aiport Bus). It is five stops to Odeonsplatz in the city center.

Overall, I would not rank them among the most attractive hotels in the respective chains. The Marriott has a small pool, which the Renaissance does not have. But especially the corridors and the bathrooms at the latter more resemble a Courtyard than a Marriott IMHO.

The Park Hilton has a parkside location bordering Englischer Garten, but is located in an office park being surrounded by buildings of HypoVereinsbank headquarters. Not much around there - and for public transport you would have to rely on busses, if I recall correctly. There is a pool there, if that is important.

The City Hilton is located in the Haidhausen district, close to city center. It has direct access to the Rosenheimer Platz train station (two stops from Marienplatz). It faces a busy street and doesn't feature a pool. Location-wise this might be the best offer.

All of these hotels are pretty corporate in style, which of course does not need to be bad.

In case you are not stuck on these due to points, I would recommend to take a look at the Dorint Sofitel Bayerpost, a strikingly-modernist hotel adjacent to Central Station (not the nicest part of city center, but very accessible).
Old May 27th, 2006, 11:53 PM

I have stayed at the Marriott and would not recommend it. There is nothing in the neigborhood but office buildings. You have to walk to the subway station, wait for the next train, drive ten minutes.. The Hilton is closer to the city center and has a beautiful parkside location, but is not either in the city center. Check out for the Dorint Sofitel Bayerpost!
At least have a look at the tripadvisor reviews and photos:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...h_Bavaria.html
Old May 30th, 2006, 06:18 PM
kdcwood

My family stayed at the Marriott in Schwabing a couple of years ago... using Marriott points. More recently we have stayed a couple of times at the Hotel Acanthus, more centrally located in the old and historic part of Munich.

I'd much prefer the small, intimate, local hotel that's closer to the things a visitor wants to do (and has an interesting breakfast included), but that said, there is something very appealing about a free hotel! We thought the Marriott in Munich was fine, an American-style business hotel. Our daughter enjoyed the pool. It was convenient to the subway and the subway made everything easy and close.

We have used points to stay at Marriotts and Hiltons in London (three times), Paris, Vienna and Prague. I wouldn't have paid money to stay at any of these places, because I like the smaller hotels that are more characteristic of the local culture. But this is a great way to get the most value for your points. We were happy with all these hotels (though we couldn't afford to eat there!)

Kathy
Kathy

Old May 30th, 2006, 07:32 PM

Hi, bartorlando!

Last October, we stayed at the City Hilton, and found it to be quite convenient (partly because Munich's trains are so good). The hotel was fine: Our room was clean and well-appointed, and the restaurant, particularly at breakfast time, offered good food in a cheerful setting. The daytime concierge was not very helpful, but then nothing's perfect.

For more info on the hotel (and on Munich, if you want it), please see my trip report--

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...2&tid=34703605

Happy travels!
Old May 30th, 2006, 09:18 PM

We stayed at the Marriot in Munich and it was comfortable. As stated above it was close to the U-bahn and easy to get to from the autobahn. It was fine and the people at the desk were extremly helpful.
Old May 31st, 2006, 12:30 AM

I assume you know there are TWO Hiltons in Munich. I have only stayed at the Hilton Munich City which is about as convenient as it gets for local transportation: it sits directly over the Rosenheimer Platz U-Bahn stop and there is a direct connection to the platforms from the hotel lobby.

The hotel is a typical business class hotel with all the amenities you would expect to include air conditioning and a very extensive buffet breakfast.

I also like the Acanthus and its location as well as its air conditioning.
Old May 31st, 2006, 02:45 PM

I have stayed several times at the Park Hilton. I like its location right next to the Englischer Garten, Munich's major park and "green belt". Nice for evening s and afternoon walks, if you need the execise. The hotel is frequented by business travellers, but of all nationalities, which makes "people watching" kind of fun.

For public tranport,there are streetcar stops short walks heading both to the north and south. These streetcars connect with various S-Bahn (run by the DB Bundesbahn, so all DB and Euro passes and tickets are good on them) and U-Bahn (city subway) stations, which whisk you into the city.
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 08:28 PM
Original Poster

I really appreciate your comments. I think that we will either stay at the City Hilton or maybe in a "mom & pop" kind of place. We decided to only stay for two nights, so we can get an extra night on our drive of the RR.

Thanks again,
Bart
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 10:37 AM

I've stayed at both the Marriott and the Renaissance in Munich. I prefer the Renaissance to the Marriott, and it also is a level 4 property. As hsv (a reference to Hamburg's football team?) mentioned, the location is strange, but close to the U-bahn and the airport bus. I would stick with Renaissance.
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 01:24 PM
hsv

Dutch,

spot on!

Greetings from Hamburg
hsv
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 01:40 PM

i used to stay at rosenheimer platz whilst working in munich...right near the hilton city. this is a great location.