Munich airport to hotel

Search

Munich airport to hotel

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2004, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Munich airport to hotel

I need to get from the Munich airport to my hotel in the middle of the night (around 10pm). The hotel said its best to take the train since they are apparently across the street from the main train station and a cab would cost about $80. How easy the Munich train station to navigate for someone who doesn't speak German? Is it safe to take the train late at night? Thanks.
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 09:22 AM
Singletail

Two S-Bahn lines (S1 and S8) service the airport. An alternative would be to take the Lufthansa bus that so many here think is wonderful.
Anyway, there won't be much to navigate at the train station. If you need to take a U-Bahn train from there the escalator to those trains is clearly marked.
If you exit to the front of the station there should be plenty of taxis to take you onward should you need one. Trams also run across from the front doors.
If you are staying at LeMeridien it is across the street from the station.
Can we be of further help?

Old Apr 19th, 2004, 09:23 AM
Singletail

Yes, IMO, the trains are safe. This is NOT like taking the so-called 'muggers express' on Broadway.

Old Apr 19th, 2004, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! I'm suppose to take the S-bahn to Hauptbahnhof . Is that the S1 or S8?

I wish I were staying at LeMeridien! Alas, I am staying at a small place called the Mark Hotel on Senefelderstr.
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 09:43 AM
Singletail

You can use either one...at that hour I'd take the first train that leaves as they both take more or less the same amount of time to get to the main station. I'll give you a link for the Munich S/u-Bahn map in a moment

Old Apr 19th, 2004, 09:48 AM
Singletail

Try this link for a map:

http://www.reed.edu/~reyn/munich2002.jpg

Old Apr 19th, 2004, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks!
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 11:52 AM

The train should definitely be safe, but I would recommend you to ride in the first car with the driver, just in case.

When you get to the Central Station, you'll be on level -2 so to speak, so there's two levels up to the surface. The -1 level can be a bit confusing, since it runs below the entire station, connects all subway/train lines, has all sorts of shops, and many many exits. The exits are marked with the name of the street onto which they will take you. It may be a little confusing to gather your bearings, as you maybe will not know where east and west are... But people should be able to help you.
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 11:55 AM

dibaby- The Mark hotel is very close to the Hauptbanhof. When you exit the S-Bahn, take the escalators up to the main hall and walk out of the main exit next to the bank. (This direction is directly opposite the trains.) Turn right and walk past the information office to the corner (100 feet or so). Senefelder Strasse is across the street (Bayerstrasse) at about a 45 degree angle to your right. The Mark hotel is about 1/2 block down on the right side of Senefelder Strasse .