Multiple hotel rooms in Milan

Nov 3rd, 2013, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Multiple hotel rooms in Milan

Hi there, does anyone know of a hotel in Milan near the Duomo that would have 17 singles and one double. We would like it to be minimum 3 star.
Nov 3rd, 2013, 10:39 AM

Frankly, I think you need a travel agent.
Nov 3rd, 2013, 11:12 AM

That would probably be a good ideas as it would be the larger, business hotels used for tours and conventions that would be the kind of hotel that would be willing to book something like that, and you'd have to call the hotel anyway, of course, to book that many rooms. But if you want to do it on your own, I guess you need to know likely suspects. At least Milan is a big business city. And big business hotels are used to giving certain rates for conventions etc for single people but often the room itself may be a double, or at least a small one.

Try the NH President. They are right near the Duomo, have about 300 rooms and do have singles, don't know how many.
http://www.nh-hotels.com/nh/en/hotel...president.html
Nov 3rd, 2013, 11:42 AM

Agree to try a travel agent. (Many of the smaller hotels just won;t have that many available).

Also be prepared for having to pay a significant amount in advance - not like booking one room on a card - the hotel will want an advance hold for so many rooms - and you probably wouldn't want to put it all on your personal credit card.
Nov 3rd, 2013, 02:56 PM

Why don't you provide some more info re what you are attempting to do.

For example, are you a school teacher trying to put together a trip for 17 students?

Why can't 2 people share a room? I can't think of a group of 17 people who all need their own room unless it is a tour group of strangers.
Nov 3rd, 2013, 03:20 PM

Agree, kids would usually be at least paired in rooms - perhaps tripled.

So adults - but all separate rooms? A business group? If so it should definitely be a travel agent. And if you are looking for 4* - you need a business travel company to negotiate for you.
Nov 3rd, 2013, 03:43 PM

Oh, I am sorry but for SEVENTEEN ROOMS and assuming the OP is not some sort of dunce, a travel agent is needed.
Nov 3rd, 2013, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your information. This is a specialized tour and most people will be single. Some may end up sharing but we need to be able to offer the option of single accommodation. I will check out the NH President. Good lead! Thanks again.
Nov 3rd, 2013, 10:53 PM

two hotels right by the duomo (2 minute walk) where we have found the occasional good rate... both are pretty large... hotel star rosa... and ambasciatori. i would call them and see what they can do for bulk rates.
Nov 3rd, 2013, 11:32 PM

When I am travelling with our business group, and most of the times we are talking about 100 persons or so, we often use hotels of the NH chain; we have found them to be mostly reliable. The last time we were in Milan we were at the NH Concordia in Sesto S. Giovanni, very distant from the center but near the place we needed to be. It is only steps from an underground station and you can be at Duomo in 15 minutes, so it could be an alternative if you do not find enough place in the city.
Nov 4th, 2013, 05:17 AM

Most hotels would not have 17 singles but would allocate a double room for single use. Some would have twins instead of doubles.

Is this booking for one night only? More than one night could lead to greater willingness to offer an acceptable solution.

Also when is travel planned? If it coincides with a major trade fair (and there are many in Milan) this could restrict choice considerably.
Nov 4th, 2013, 08:14 AM

So if I have got this right, you are a tour organizer offering a trip to individuals, all of whom are single and you are here on a travel forum asking tourists for advice on how to find a hotel?

Anyone see anything wrong with this picture?
Nov 4th, 2013, 10:06 AM

Agree - if you are a tour organizer you shouldn't be asking questions here. And if you aren;t - and are trying to do a trip with 17 people - you really need help from a professional.
Nov 4th, 2013, 10:31 AM

Well, where are tour organizers supposed to get info? People on Fodors have a lot of good info, after all, to have some good suggestions. I'll admit I don't know what kind of resources travel agents have, I imagine there are some standard books that list the types of rooms available in hotels that will deal with tour groups, or something.

However, tours do not have to offer single rooms. They may have to have single supplement fees, but those just cover whatever type of accommodation they can get from large chain hotels, which usually do not have specifically single rooms. It would often be a standard double. So maybe the OP isn't very experienced with booking tours or this is an amateur thing.
Nov 4th, 2013, 03:56 PM

Christina, there is more being left out than included.

"This is a specialized tour and most people will be single."

What do you think that means? Where do you find a group of 19 people, 17 singles and one couple?

What is 'specialized' about it do you think?

What does the name 'lots-of-fun' suggest to you?

Any hotel will book 18 rooms. Clearly, there is a criteria beyond that which isn't being made clear. Like, 'I want 17 rooms at half the price of a normal double room.

The OP is being coy for a reason. Otherwise why not simply tell us just what it is s/he wants to do and why?
Nov 4th, 2013, 04:26 PM

Check out booking.com. If you have 17 people and want 17 rooms, you can put that in the search engine and see what is available. There are reviews, a map and plenty of other info once you've got your eye on a place or two.
Nov 4th, 2013, 06:16 PM

Some one actually trying to set up a tour for so many people (we don;t know what this includes as well as hotels - air fare, trains, other cities) woukd either use a destination company or would work with the city tourist office for advice on the requirements for the group.

And the OP has not returned about the finances. You can;t do this and expect a hotel to take 18 different reservations - some one will have to front a lot of money for a deposit fairly far in advance (non-refundable) in order to get any sort of group rate or benefits (free bkfst or etc).
Nov 4th, 2013, 07:45 PM

If you look at previous posts by the OP, over several years, there have been a string of posts about taking people, students mostly, on tours. Questions were raised, rarely answered by the OP, so take this one with a grain of salt.
Nov 4th, 2013, 09:26 PM
Original Poster

I'm sorry to have offended people with my questions. I innocently thought I could receive some much-needed advice through this forum and was unaware that it is frowned upon to ask questions about larger groups. I met with a travel agent today but if they haven't stayed at certain hotels themselves or received feedback regarding hotels they've booked for clients, how are they to know what to recommend? There are a lot of comments on Trip Advisor about hotels that were booked by agents and they were disasters. I really appreciate the advice I've received from the past for trips I've taken. If this forum is only for people travelling as couples or families, I apologize. I did not try to do anything underhanded and am shocked that there are some unwritten rules that I didn't know about. I do thank all those people who have kindly offered suggestions both for this trip and those in the past.
Nov 5th, 2013, 04:57 AM

More than anything else the comments have derived from the fact that your original posting was very scarce in terms of information.

If you can provide more then perhaps the subsequent comments will be more helpful to you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO